K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

A school that encourages religious extremism and hate. I pulled my children out of this sorry excuse for an educational institution as soon as I could (2016); I was not going to allow these fanatics and frauds poison my children's minds, encouraging them to fear and hate people who are different, rather than love, forgive and understand them. I couldn't think of a less Christian atmosphere.

Our daughter has been at LCA since kindergarten & now in 5th grade. She loves her school, teachers, admin, & all of the students. Curriculum is tough, but she never complains. The kids build one another up & are supportive of one another. My daughter loves the Christ-base learning & is thriving academically, personally & spiritually! She thinks of others & their feelings, which is found less in our public schools. We are very pleased with our choice each year to send our daughter to LCA & love that prayer is priority! Our daughters self-esteem is great, due to all of the support she receives from other parents, students, teachers, coaches & administrators!

Great academic school, caring teachers, and loving parents and environment. Best private/charter school in Monroe County!

After another mass exodus...the "head of school" finally resigned. What a shame that he had to run the school into the ground before he jumped ship! So sad for the teachers that have given everything to the school.

Our children have been attending LCA since kindergarten. They're currently in high school & in the upper elementary. BOTH have ADHD. Our oldest decided to attend LCA throughout high school when she was in 6th grade (which was nice, since that was our plan as well :). There's absolutely nothing like the feeling of trusting your child to be surrounded by godly men & women who live out their faith in their teaching, their classroom management, their nurturing & their discipling of students. I'm in many classrooms (spanning all grades) regularly through my volunteering & so, have had an extraordinary number of opportunities to observe all of the above described behaviors in action over many years & across many different students. The men & women at LCA, the faculty, the staff, & the volunteers, care deeply for the students & for their families as well! The academic rigor is excellent. The students are challenged & experience success. The test scores, both on a state & national level reflect the high level of instruction & learning that is a part of LCA. The extracurricular opportunities are varied & many are designed to match the gifts & interests of the student population.

Reading some of the reviews on this website, I can definitely echo some of the good traits and bad traits of this school. This being said, our experience with this school has been extremely disappointing. This school gives up on certain children based on how much they want to deal with them (or more likely how much money their parents are contributing). It is not a real shocker then, that attendance is down and lately the reviews on websites such as this have started to become more negative. This school simply is not equipped to deal with common problems that happen in every school. The principles and teachers act extremely loving, but only when everything is going well. If there is a problem, then ignoring is their policy. They would much rather blame the problems on a young child than take any responsibility and fix problems. This school's curriculum is very strong, but your child's self-esteem and confidence will take a big hit. Being a Christian-based school should mean they act in a Christian manner, but this is not the case. This school will simply abandon a child and his problems, rather than deal with them (as echoed in previous reviews).

I am a disappointed Christian mother, in how LCA handled the situation with my son, who is six. Let me ask you, what kind of school gives up on a six year old boy? My husband and I chose LCA because of its Christ-centered educational approach, and I believe that when you elect to use the name of our Lord and Savior in your organization's advertising and literature, you are held to a higher standard than an organization that makes no such claim. My son was diagnosed with ADHD, he had good days and he had some rough days, but he never failed to repent. We felt blessed to have LCA as a partner in this journey with the Lord. It is with the greatest respect that I state it is my experience that LCA does not have the skill, resources, or patience s to work with children with ADHD. I do not want another child or parent to have this same experience that we have had with LCA.

Outstanding Christian school filled with teachers and an administration who have hearts for kids and are pouring their lives into them every day!!! The results speak for themselves in terms of Christian character and academic achievement that is realized year after year by the young people that attend LCA!!!

After 4 years, pulled our child out in 2009. Academically the school was great, unfortunately when we complained to the Head of School that a member of a very wealthy family was bullying our child, nothing was done. Not a very Christian atmosphere, it reminds me more of the merchants in the temple.

I have 4 children at Lighthouse, from K to junior high. They all love it. The school spirit is good, and it's nice how kids from different grades get to know each other, and how the older kids are used to help the younger ones (some high schoolers came in to teach Spanish to the 4th graders, for instance). It's amazing how well the school can do with so little money, and how devoted the teachers are, when they are paid half the public school salaries. I'd like more of a classical education approach instead of the modern one, but the school does much better than the public schools on test scores while not being at all selective by intelligence in admissions. I wish it were closer to my house, though.

Last modified Lighthouse Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12