Carmel, IN
Students enrolled: 4,685

Posted March 29, 2015
When my daughter attended the 8th grade, Carmerrl Clay Schools decided to change their method of teaching math. It was changed from a more traditional teacher led method to an "investigative" student led method. No one warned the parents. The resulting decline in student grades prompted a meeting at the high school. Needless to say the problem was never addressed and many parents chose to drop their child down a level which sucked for the 11th graders applying to college. My daughter was taking Algebra I in 8th grade. Her math grades drop and so did her ability to get into advanced classes, which we learned when we spoke with the Carmel High Freshman Counselor. Because of the math grade the high school counselor suggested she start all over with lower level classes (even though she was doing very well in 8th grade honors English). We decided to send our daughter to the International School of Indiana were she is now an honor roll student and has earned the opportunities to built an outstanding resume. Carmel is not the place. UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE AN OUTSTANDING ATHLETE!
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 05, 2015
I agree with the person regarding administration. There is an arrogance about them which makes it nearly impossible to address problems they refuse to acknowledge. The large population makes it very difficult for students to get involved in sports and other activities because it is too competitive. There are some fantastic teachers at Carmel as there are awful ones. Math is known to be terrible. Receiving low grades in core subjects does nothing to 'showcase' Carmel math as the best place to 'prepare' kids for college. What it does is force kids into less selective schools which may or may not be what is the best fit. Carmel administrators do not acknowledge this math calamity, in spite of the very vocal parents who have been outraged. Some of the sciences are similar in approach. Parents are spending thousands of dollars tutoring their kids and most of the tutors are Carmel teachers. Is this some kind of guarantee subsidy for teachers? Make classes so impossible you have to pay big bucks so your child can survive their class? This is a huge conflict of interest epecially in the math dept. Someone should investigate this. Such a travesty!
5 people found this helpful

Carmel High School 4

Posted February 09, 2015
Carmel High School is a wonderful school, with a great learning environment; with wonderful students, and wonderful teachers. However, the administration is god-awful and my only complaint with the school. If not for them, Carmel would be a definite five, but at the moment its a borderline four and almost a three. That's how bad the administration is, I can't stress how bad they are.
2 people found this helpful

Carmel High School 2

Posted October 08, 2014
The math department is terrible along with inferior math teachers. If your student isn't a math genius, choose another school.
7 people found this helpful

Carmel High School 5

Posted September 27, 2014
I moved to Carmel Indiana 28 years ago so that my then 5 year old son could go to Carme school system. This is the best public school in Indiana. I wanted my children to have the most and best opportunities available to them. Carmel school does just that. I now have my 4th child attending Carmel high school as a sophomore this year. Each one of my children have had their own individual experience at school and I have both enjoyed and dredged through the years with each one of them. Even after all these years , I still wouldn't change a thing. I am still very happy AND proud to say that my children attend/ /attended Carmel high school!

Carmel High School 3

Posted June 03, 2014
Carmel High School is a Midwestern school that lacks culture, sophistication, and humility. Like many that suffer from hubris the school is unaware that they posses these characteristics. The school is preoccupied with reminding everyone how many State championships they have won and have created a school that fits nicely into their bubble that Carmel is the best place to live in the World. Similar to Washington D.C. this illusion may be beneficial for the very few connected families and the small percentage of kids that will have the opportunity to play sports. The school is so massive that the well connected rise quickly to the top and look down their nose at the rest of the school. Great place to live if you are not concerned with your kid being exposed to culture, diversity, and reality.
6 people found this helpful

Posted February 01, 2014
I hate this school the students are snobby and teachers are not involved in the class they never explain anything. The school has a very sink or swim mentality. This school is only good if you are rich and from carmel.
5 people found this helpful

Posted January 07, 2014
Your typical high school, except I'm unbearably large. Yes, they offer a wide variety of classes including a multitude of AP classes, but when the work offered in said classes is at a level so low they students hardly learn anything- not impressed. The only challenges my son faced was getting to class on time and without being bullied. If the average grade in the high school is high, it's because the work is so easy my three year old daughter could do it. Teach my students something.
3 people found this helpful

Carmel High School 2

Posted December 29, 2013
I am a student at Carmel High School and it's truthfully much worse than people hype it up to be. I have a reasonable GPA, 3.3-3.5 in mostly AP classes. To start off, there are some teachers who are absolutely amazing in every aspect but they're overshadowed by the teachers who have zero talent teaching, I have both types and my grades in those classes reflect that. Carmel does have extremely difficult courses in every department, take that as you will. If your thinking of moving into the area I seriously recommend putting kids in elementary schools first. Carmel tends to get very cliquie and becomes harder to make friends the old you get. If I could, I would move schools instantly. Even thought I get good grades I don't feel like I'm learning anything and fear that I'll be unprepared for higher education.
4 people found this helpful

Carmel High School 5

Posted June 11, 2013
Carmel High School has a large variety of programs that cater to a student's interest. If a kid is willing to put work into it he can be very successful. I don't think any of the programs are overrated, kids can challenge themselves with AP courses if they wish. There is a college prep division in the administrative department which works with every single student during their junior and senior year. Their performing arts program is one of the best in the state. Many of the kids are pretentious, but that is the parent's fault and it's not something to blame on the school. They have a model principal that cares very much for the students. The discipline system is bureaucratic and careless at times, admittedly. If your child is willing to work hard this is one of the best schools in the country to send them to.

Carmel High School
520 East Main Street, Carmel, IN  46032
Last modified Carmel High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carmel High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 69 reviews. Top