4,830 students|Carmel Clay Schools

Bad
Good

I graduated four years ago. It was challenging I'll admit. Carmel kids are held to a higher standard for most things, during high school I thought it was challenging. Going into college I knew much more than most of my classmates. I had an advantage, and I have to say it was Carmel High Schools curriculum. They tought me a more challenging pace but in the end it helped me greatly in college. This is a college prep school. It actually does prepare you. I advise for parents to put their children in the AVID program, not everyone gets in though. Only a select few. This program helps you with filling out college applications and teaches you most, if not all, basic core curriculum for college. I had no surprises. A overall great school! Size is big, but that is why it's important to get involved!

They dont enforce grades. The schools too big. Please dont put your kid in this school. Just a bunch of white preppy kids.

As a student learning at Carmel high school, there are many challenges with the curriculum, but the challenges have taught me new things. The education that the teachers provide is unmatched and many teachers take the time to help me with any questions. Also there are so many clubs and sports offered at my school. With so many sports teams and clubs, it engages the interests of many students inside and out of the class room. I love my school and couldn't imagine going anywhere else

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Like any school, there are superior teachers and there are teachers who are just putting in the time. Carmel has teachers who do what it takes to make sure their students are learning by actually teaching while others who think a movie will suffice. Carmel has held on to some very good teachers and lost some pretty awesome ones as well.

When my daughter attended the 8th grade, Carmerrl Clay Schools decided to change their method of teaching math. It was changed from a more traditional teacher led method to an "investigative" student led method. No one warned the parents. The resulting decline in student grades prompted a meeting at the high school. Needless to say the problem was never addressed and many parents chose to drop their child down a level which sucked for the 11th graders applying to college. My daughter was taking Algebra I in 8th grade. Her math grades drop and so did her ability to get into advanced classes, which we learned when we spoke with the Carmel High Freshman Counselor. Because of the math grade the high school counselor suggested she start all over with lower level classes (even though she was doing very well in 8th grade honors English). We decided to send our daughter to the International School of Indiana were she is now an honor roll student and has earned the opportunities to built an outstanding resume. Carmel is not the place. UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE AN OUTSTANDING ATHLETE!

I agree with the person regarding administration. There is an arrogance about them which makes it nearly impossible to address problems they refuse to acknowledge. The large population makes it very difficult for students to get involved in sports and other activities because it is too competitive. There are some fantastic teachers at Carmel as there are awful ones. Math is known to be terrible. Receiving low grades in core subjects does nothing to 'showcase' Carmel math as the best place to 'prepare' kids for college. What it does is force kids into less selective schools which may or may not be what is the best fit. Carmel administrators do not acknowledge this math calamity, in spite of the very vocal parents who have been outraged. Some of the sciences are similar in approach. Parents are spending thousands of dollars tutoring their kids and most of the tutors are Carmel teachers. Is this some kind of guarantee subsidy for teachers? Make classes so impossible you have to pay big bucks so your child can survive their class? This is a huge conflict of interest epecially in the math dept. Someone should investigate this. Such a travesty!

Carmel High School is a wonderful school, with a great learning environment; with wonderful students, and wonderful teachers. However, the administration is god-awful and my only complaint with the school. If not for them, Carmel would be a definite five, but at the moment its a borderline four and almost a three. That's how bad the administration is, I can't stress how bad they are.

The math department is terrible along with inferior math teachers. If your student isn't a math genius, choose another school.

I moved to Carmel Indiana 28 years ago so that my then 5 year old son could go to Carme school system. This is the best public school in Indiana. I wanted my children to have the most and best opportunities available to them. Carmel school does just that. I now have my 4th child attending Carmel high school as a sophomore this year. Each one of my children have had their own individual experience at school and I have both enjoyed and dredged through the years with each one of them. Even after all these years , I still wouldn't change a thing. I am still very happy AND proud to say that my children attend/ /attended Carmel high school!

Carmel High School is a Midwestern school that lacks culture, sophistication, and humility. Like many that suffer from hubris the school is unaware that they posses these characteristics. The school is preoccupied with reminding everyone how many State championships they have won and have created a school that fits nicely into their bubble that Carmel is the best place to live in the World. Similar to Washington D.C. this illusion may be beneficial for the very few connected families and the small percentage of kids that will have the opportunity to play sports. The school is so massive that the well connected rise quickly to the top and look down their nose at the rest of the school. Great place to live if you are not concerned with your kid being exposed to culture, diversity, and reality.

Last modified Carmel High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.