Carmel High School 3

Posted June 03, 2014
Carmel High School is a Midwestern school that lacks culture, sophistication, and humility. Like many that suffer from hubris the school is unaware that they posses these characteristics. The school is preoccupied with reminding everyone how many State championships they have won and have created a school that fits nicely into their bubble that Carmel is the best place to live in the World. Similar to Washington D.C. this illusion may be beneficial for the very few connected families and the small percentage of kids that will have the opportunity to play sports. The school is so massive that the well connected rise quickly to the top and look down their nose at the rest of the school. Great place to live if you are not concerned with your kid being exposed to culture, diversity, and reality.

Posted February 01, 2014
I hate this school the students are snobby and teachers are not involved in the class they never explain anything. The school has a very sink or swim mentality. This school is only good if you are rich and from carmel.

Posted January 07, 2014
Your typical high school, except I'm unbearably large. Yes, they offer a wide variety of classes including a multitude of AP classes, but when the work offered in said classes is at a level so low they students hardly learn anything- not impressed. The only challenges my son faced was getting to class on time and without being bullied. If the average grade in the high school is high, it's because the work is so easy my three year old daughter could do it. Teach my students something.

Carmel High School 2

Posted December 29, 2013
I am a student at Carmel High School and it's truthfully much worse than people hype it up to be. I have a reasonable GPA, 3.3-3.5 in mostly AP classes. To start off, there are some teachers who are absolutely amazing in every aspect but they're overshadowed by the teachers who have zero talent teaching, I have both types and my grades in those classes reflect that. Carmel does have extremely difficult courses in every department, take that as you will. If your thinking of moving into the area I seriously recommend putting kids in elementary schools first. Carmel tends to get very cliquie and becomes harder to make friends the old you get. If I could, I would move schools instantly. Even thought I get good grades I don't feel like I'm learning anything and fear that I'll be unprepared for higher education.

Posted June 11, 2013
Carmel High School has a large variety of programs that cater to a student's interest. If a kid is willing to put work into it he can be very successful. I don't think any of the programs are overrated, kids can challenge themselves with AP courses if they wish. There is a college prep division in the administrative department which works with every single student during their junior and senior year. Their performing arts program is one of the best in the state. Many of the kids are pretentious, but that is the parent's fault and it's not something to blame on the school. They have a model principal that cares very much for the students. The discipline system is bureaucratic and careless at times, admittedly. If your child is willing to work hard this is one of the best schools in the country to send them to.

Posted October 24, 2012
As the parent of 5 children who have attended Carmel Clay Schools, we moved to Carmel primarily because of the school system and we have not been disappointed. Three of our kids have graduated and gone on to college and we still have 2 students in the system. While the academics are rigorous, our kids found college to be a breeze because they were so well prepared by the Carmel School system. The size of the school was intimidating to me but the kids have all found clubs, organizations and activities that they have participated in which has helped them connect and form great friendships. Our kids aren't all star athletes which has limited their ability to participate on the school athletic teams. Carmel has an incredible level of talent given the large student count. However, we 've found the Carmel Dads Club is a great way for kids to participate in sports. The teachers are highly engaged and committed to the success of their students. Ultimately there are pros and cons in every school system. If parents want their kids prepared for a higher education and a highly competitive job market in the future, you won't find a school system that will do a better job than Carmel.

Posted September 17, 2012
Wow! The previous folks posting must have large axes to grind. As a parent of a Carmel High School graduate, I can say that the academic instruction my son received at CHS fully prepared him for success at his select private college. He is now a college sophomore, and has often commented on how prepared he was compared to students coming from high schools elsewhere in the country. Yes, it is a large school, however, I found the staff and administrators to be extremely helpful when approached one-on-one. It is not - nor does it claim to be - anything but a large public school. Those expecting to be treated with 'kid gloves' should move their children to private schools. That said, I can tell you of many families who paid the big bucks for private high school and had no better luck gaining acceptance to select colleges than CHS grads. I firmly believe that the large, competitive environment at CHS more adequately prepares teens for success at the university level. Challenged: yes. Pampered: no.

Posted September 12, 2012
We moved out of the district BECAUSE of the schools. This district has to be the most overrated I've ever seen because the quality is extremely low in every respect. Carmel High school is too big but it does reflect the size of the egos of those affiliated. Most teachers are lazy and unconcerned about delivering watered down academic material. Administration is even worse.It is a very mediocre system which offers very little student development. It's sink or swim which is fine for students who are over acheivers. But even then, they have a false sense of superiority. They may NOT be as smart as they think they are. They may be missing out on so many intangibles that are not included in a Carmel education. Carmel is very superficial and unsophisticated. Students tend to lack character, a moral compass and adequate balance. The large sports program enables this belief in their superiority coupled with poor sportsmanship. If other districts cared more for their wins, they too would stuff students in one huge building...but they won't. Carmel is VERY good at promoting themselves as much as the parents are promoting their kids. It's a political battlefield.

Posted August 28, 2012
The high school is way too big and the quality is poor. People are extremely proud of their sports programs, of course. It's the reason why they won't split their school to a manageable size. It is more important to dominate in sports than provide a quality education. It's humorous to watch the parents brag about how great the school is when the academics are typical of any public school. After giving the district six months, we pulled our three children out and enrolled them in private school. We sold our house and moved to a more tax friendly area. Carmel is not special and it certainly isn't hard. I was unimpressed with the teachers and thought many were lazy and unprofessional. I felt the administration was arrogant and not really interested in the students. Carmel is overrated in every way.

Carmel High School 4

Posted August 07, 2012
There are many excellent teachers and programs at Carmel High School. However, when there IS a problem, it is difficult to get action to get it solved, and one may be met with incredulity should one dare to challenge the school's perfection. Even when many parents or students have tried to get a situation fixed, it can be hard to know if anything is being done because the school and principal will not acknowledge that it has any flaws whatsoever. They need to be more aggressive when addressing poor teaching. Kids and parents with high work ethic tend to mask teaching deficiencies and I daresay the administration isn't out there looking for problems to solve, let alone responding to parents who draw them to their attention.

Carmel High School
520 East Main Street, Carmel, IN  46032
Last modified Carmel High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carmel High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews.