No rating

Evansville Day School

Private | 9-12

Living in Evansville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $113,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Sweep tile

Posted September 26, 2013

WE LOVE EDS!!! My daughter has attended EDS for 5 years now. We are not upper income elitists-we are on financial aid and she is a minority student. I am troubled by the negative reviews I see here. We have seen no bias in favor of certain students over others, and when problems arise they are satisfactorily addressed. I have heard of several students not being offered renewal contracts, for academic or behavorial issues, so perhaps some of the negativity is sour grapes. And I am also aware of some families not bringing their children back because they had specific needs that a very small school simply cannot address. My daughter is receiving an excellent education that is superior to any she could receive elsewhere in this region. She is being challenged academically by first rate teachers and I could not be more pleased. Additionally, it is a safe environment for her to learn and grow. Bullying is virtually nonexistent, and the one time we reported it was not tolerated. There has been some reshuffling of teachers and administrators recently, but that happens in all institutions, and I trust that they are making decisions that will benefit our students and our school!

Posted September 26, 2013

My son graduated from Day School last year and received great scholarship packages for both of his top college picks. He has started his university studies and is thriving because of the stellar education he received at EDS! Great school!

Posted April 15, 2013

I have been reading some of the previous comments and am suprised because our experience has been great so far. My daughter had been finding school very boring and wasn't feeling challenged enough for a long time. Finally, my husband and I decided to try a private school. We came across Evansville Day School and enrolled her there for high school. The tution may seem a bit high for some families however the school offers great scholarships and financial aid. My daughter recieved a scholarship and is now very happy she did. Her classmates and faculty were very welcoming and she made a lot of friends. The school is stereotyped to have students with "snobby behavior". However, that is not true because out of all her classmates only 2 or 3 behaved that way, which is the case in any school. I absolutely love her teachers who have great communication skills and are ready to help a student at any time. They give challenging material but don't give her too much work so that she has time to partcipate in other activities. I'm planning to send my son to EDS next year! :)

Posted January 6, 2013

This was the worst school experience for our son & our family!! As said in prior reviews this school is run by the clique of parents. By the end of the 2011 school year EDS lost 6 teacher along with the Head of School, the nurse and librarian. I'm sure that there was plenty more students & faculty that left as well. Our son attended one full year at EDS. Due to the unsatisfactory way the school was managed we decided to remove our son from EDS mid yeart as it was becoming a situation that was detrimental to the learning environment. Yes.. this school does favor certain students & families over others! EDS IS A EMPTY SHELL OF WHAT IT'S REPUTATION ONCE WAS! My hope with this review is to save a child and or family the frustration, time and the EDS over rated tuition. In this case.... the value & quality does not equal the money paid.

Posted August 15, 2012

Evansville Day School is expensive for no reason. i wish i put my children in signature a long time ago. Signature school is much better academically and they have better teachers. The art teacher a few years ago gave my child bad grades (even though he did amazing art) just because of his ethnicity, many of the teachers would rather help the children in which their parents donate. DONT GO TO THIS SCHOOL UNLESS U LIKE BAD TEACHERS, WEAK ACADEMICS, AND EMPTY WALLETS!!

Posted March 9, 2012

Evansville Day School has been a wonderful surprise. The entire school has been very friendly and welcoming as my child has transitioned into the school. The work has been very challenging. The teachers are excellent and demanding. The teachers will work very closely to support students while they impose high expectations on students. It is the ideal instructional model. The entire school, teachers, students, parents, and adminstration have been very positive and inviting. Day School has been a real treat. Great School!

Posted March 4, 2011

Evansville Day School is an outstanding asset in the community. The small student/teacher ratio, the high academic standards, and the responsiveness/caring of the faculty is like none other. It's probably not the school for people who are athletically ambitious for their kids or for people for whom straight As are very important. On the other hand, EDS does the best job in Evansville (including Signature School) preparing students for college and beyond. Its students also score the highest of all the high schools in the area on the college prep standardized tests, including APs.

Posted November 29, 2010

The school is small, may lead to some students becoming socially underdeveloped while the majority will do fine around a 1:5 ratio, the highschool administration will tend to favor some students more than others, basketball is a very big deal in the upperschool big enough that a good basketball player has elbowed a fellow student in the face before leading to that student eventually leaving due to lack of punishment on the elbowers side (i do believe the elbower had to leave halfway through the school day as his only punishment), while other students have been suspended for much less, the teachers are very interested and active in their classes, and it should be a great experience and prepare students very nicely for college. The only trouble would arise when one gets involved with the upper school head's contorted way of deciding a punishment for a student.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 1, 2010

I LOVE EVANSVILLE DAY SCHOOL! I was recently reading some reviews of the school when I was shocked that people had negative things to say about it. I'm going to be a seventh grader next year and couldn't even fathom going to a different school for high school. Sure it's a small school, but that is one of the best parts about it. You know everyone and always have someone reliable to ask for homework or invite to a party. I have great friends not only in my class but in grades above and below me. I also I'm put to the challenge in everything I do including academics, leadership, and extracirricular activities. I would definitely send my chiidren here if I had the possibility to. Day School is a neighborhood with good friends, wise elders, and strict, fun, or indiferent parents. I LOVE EVANSVILLE DAY SCHOOL! -Danielle Morris

Posted May 5, 2009

I attended EDS for two years (11-12). I graduated a few years ago. I wish I would have heard about this institution sooner in my school career! The environment is such a positive one, and the teachers genuinely care about the students. My first semester there I was doing poorly in a class and my teacher took me aside and said, 'I really want you to do well. What techniques can we use to help you pass?' He then proceeded to call my mother and rave about my brilliance and that it needed to be applied to his class. Teachers there can see the potential in every student and will bend over backwards to help them succeed. The college counselor is the high school principal and will make sure 100% of the graduating seniors are enrolled in college. The cost of tuition is completely worth it. Best school in Evansville!

Posted November 7, 2008

My family has been at EDS for 8 years. I now have a primary school student and a middle school student. I couldn't say enough great things about Day School. We have been extremely happy there. The teachers are wonderful and really care about their students. The parents are very involved and you feel like you are a part of a big family. As far as sports are concerned, my daughter has played soccer, basketball and tennis. We may not be the best team but the girls have a great time and learn how to play. I am sending my kids to EDS because of their superior academics not for sports. We will be continuing onto high school at EDS and I expect that my girls will receive academic scholarships. Best school in Evansville!

Posted August 11, 2008

eds is an ok school, it has its ups and downs. Such as, the teachers, as one of the people have already said in their rating, that they do breath practically down your back! they get mad at things that come from outside of school and anything you do they pretty much threaten to suspend you! but there are also ups about evansville day school, there teachers can be nice, and it does help to your college and high school, and its a really great school at most times!

Posted July 14, 2008

I am a former Day School student, and I can say I liked it there. The teachers are ready and willing to help you with any problem, and no student has to feel uncomfortable about asking a question in class. For me, it never seemed like there were cliques; everyone knew each other and there was rarely drama for my class and surrounding classes. A new student can easily come from another school and fit in well so long as they're willing to. Because there are so few students, it's hard to get enough players for sports; for example, this coming fall of 2008 there may not be a girls soccer team because many people have left. For the future, I wouldn't send my own children there because I know some students don't grasp onto social skills as much as they may want, others may end up just fine.

Posted January 11, 2008

As an alumna of the school, I have to say the teachers are excellent. Day School provided me with plenty of skills to survive on the college level. My one issue was that I was not accepted into the school population so readily. Part of that was my fault, part of that was the fault of the cliquish mentality. From what I have seen, that has changed significantly in the last few years, and for that, I'm happy.

Posted October 28, 2007

I can say that EDS is the best school in the Evansville area. However, that is a rather pathetic statement. Given the chance, I would not send my children to any school in the region. College placement is poor, students are generally unmotivated, and the combination shows in the general lack of school quality. Although the teachers at EDS are exceptional, the students simply don't seem to care.

Posted July 24, 2007

I am currently a student at Evansville Day School. I really love the small classes and the one-on-one that the teachers provide you with. I highly recommend this shool to students that came from a private school and want the same type of environment. :) ~*Caroline*~

Posted January 25, 2007

I'm a current student at Evansville Day School. The teachers really really care about you, they'll talk to you like a real person and not just like a child. You get to know everyone in the school, from kindergarden to seniors. Better yet, no one really cares what your grade is. Cliques AREN'T very common (my friends and I refer to them as groups, since we really just kind of hop around to different people and are like 'DID YOU SEE AMERICAN IDOL LAST NIGHT?') and it's nice to feel safe for once. You're definitely challenged, and I mean it. You are definitely put to the test here, I'm still in middle school and taking geometry with quite a few high schoolers. We have band, strings, and flute. We have dances, parties, plays, and much more here. Sports aren't that big priority, but still here.

Posted January 1, 2007

I am a current student at Evansville Day School. The environment there is GREAT! The teachers are always there for you. Even if you are the only one having problems. Because EDS is such a small school you no almost everyone. It is very cool to no that someone in the same hallway as you is not a complete stranger. Since my brothers and I have been going to EDS our grades have went straight up! The music at EDS is fantastic there are programs,musical,plays,and band. The parent evolvement at EDS is not to much but not to little. Parents are aloud to chaperone field trips and eat lunch with the class is necessary. Over all since I have been a member of the Day school family I have loved it there. And no one can say otherwise.

Posted March 7, 2006

As a parent of three at EDS, I can say that we are thrilled with what we see. Each child is pushed to achieve his/her best in a warm and caring environment. I have taught in a public school over fifteen years and while I recognize the excellence of many public school instructors, the learning environment offered by EDS simply can't be matched. Small classes mean no anonymity -- a student can't simply melt into a class of twenty-five or so. Extracurricular opportunities are more than ample. Students have the chance to play sports, sing in musicals, be active with numerous community services and more. Tuition is high, no question, but what better way to invest your money than your child's education? Our children come home at the end of the day excited about learning and anxious to share every bit of their day. It's Evansville's little gem.

Posted February 3, 2006

I was a former student at Evansville Day School after attending a public school and left a year ago. A had multiple issues with this school.First off you have teachers breathing down your neck 24/7. The teachers also choose to get in to outside of school personal issues that are none of their buisness. The school is so desprate to get students to come back that you get survey letters about why you left years later. This is a very small school and frankly after a week you get tired of the same faces. I do not reccomend this school for anyone who is passionate about sports or came from a big school.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation

This school

State Average

Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012

Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 2%