Carroll High School

Public | 9-12 | 2048 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 10, 2014

As one of the "free spirited individuals" mentioned by one of the other reviews, my worst memories of adolescence will always be from Carroll High School. During my time there, the new Gay-Straight Alliance had every attempt made to shut it down while the "Common Sense Club" for conservatives and a pushy religious student group were allowed to flourish and were encouraged by staff. I was bullied for my lack of traditional beliefs/"New Age" thoughts and many of my friends were as well. There are a lot of anti-bullying programs, but they're not uniformly enforced. The education is very good, but you have to be prepared to deal with a really diverse cast of teachers who all have very different grading styles and standards. The only complaint I have about that is that MLA formatting is promoted as the way colleges will want papers when every paper I've had to write has required APA. My recommendation for other "free spirits" that have to go to Carroll: do what I did and set yourself on the seven-semester graduation program. Keep your head down and your mouth shut unless something really bad is going on. Make a few really good friends and get involved with things outside school.

Posted January 8, 2014

Carroll high school offers an experience I do not believe I could have received in any other school I the area. Great variety of helpful faculty and student peers provides the best environment for growth. The opportunities the school offers exposes students to many different pathways for the future. I feel prepared for further education and believe the push carroll provides helped build me into a motivated student.

Posted August 10, 2013

This school has every possible good factor that you would want to see in a school. Some of the rules in the school are frowned upon, but that aside, everything else about this school is fantastic.

Posted March 3, 2013

Some of these reviews are comical. I'm currently a senior at Carroll and have loved this school to death. Yes the administration overdoes it sometimes with rules. However there are zero problems with violence, gangs intimidation and bullying. The administrations job isn't to be friendly, it is to provide a professional environment to learn and prepare yourself for the real world. The academics here are stellar, and even the lower level classes have challenged me. Even if you are a genius, you will be challenged at Carroll. The student body is white, rich, and it seems fairly religious. However, the wealthy part of Carroll is negated by the Huntertown students and country kids. The athletics are getting better each year and Carroll is starting to look more like a 5A school each year. The bottom line is that this school prepares students for college and gives the tools they need to be successful. The administration griping gets old after a while.. This school still outperforms almost all the other public schools in the state even though it is underfunded. Oh and the soccer coach here sucks (Rollie Clements) they would have like 3 state titles if they had someone else.

Posted November 27, 2012

Administration cares too much about rules and regulations than student and are rude. They are not open-minded and are biased (They even made a "common sense" club for conservatives!) Sure you'll get a great education but you'll pay for it by them taking every right you have and making you obey senseless rules. You have no opinion about it by the way....

Posted September 3, 2012

Let me just start by saying I absolutely LOVED Carroll. My academic career there began with me entering sophomore year without any credits. From fourth grade until then I was home schooled, and my mom didn't feel it necessary to send in tests to be graded for credits. I don't blame her, but it did add a little pressure on me to obtain all 44 required credits before graduating. Within the six semesters that I was enrolled, I managed to overcome that pressure and receive my Core 40 diploma with the rest of the class of 2010. In my opinion, the teachers made all the difference in the world. Mrs. Shade gave up her mornings to personally review my homework with me, Mrs. Mowrey granted me the extra 10 seconds or so after the tardy bell rang because administration didn't give enough time for me to sprint (yes, I had to run and still couldn't make the bell) between buildngs after gym to her classroom. Mr. Adams gave me an extension on a paper, even though the policy is to mark an assignment as a 0 if not turned in within three days, because my partner hadn't done her share. There are so many instances of teachers going above and beyond to help me succeed. I'm blessed to have attended CHS.

Posted December 4, 2011

School still hasn't recovered from its 2005/2006 expulsion of a student who criticized the administration in a comedy (which embarrassed the school with nationwide media coverage). They haven't learned from their mistakes, as parents and students are pushed aside for the administration's personal objectives. It's a good school compared to Northrop and others, but if you want your kid to end up in college and successful, send them elsewhere.

Posted January 26, 2011

Carroll High School is an outstanding school. The new construction includes a fantastic gym, state-of-the-art band/choral facilities, and classrooms equipped to teach students in the 21st century. This high school isn't perfect, but a lot of the things that are bad about this school happen at EVERY HIGH SCHOOL EVER. There is SIGNIFICANTLY less drug use at CHS than in most high schools of its size. The teachers at Carroll are truly good people who can give students a quality, college-prep education. As a former student, I would have to admit that the administration is the biggest drawback at Carroll. They are very strict on attendance, dress code, etc., but that is mostly because they don't really have to concern themselves with bigger problems like fights, gangs, guns, etc. There is a full time police officer with a drug dog for the district. There are some quality administrators (most of their titles start with vice- ), but the lowest level administrators/office staff tend to get a touch power-hungry. The academic rigor for advanced students is EXCELLENT, and even the general classes prepare students for college much better than the equivalent classes at other area high schools.

Posted January 18, 2011

I graduated from Carroll in 2009. This school is thorough with its academics, and prepares students very well for college with its rigorous tests and essays provided. An average scoring student will still enter college and find it to be MUCH easier than high school, something not many college students say when they compare high school and college academics. Sports are highly valued and top notch, as are the arts' programs. Unfortunately this school does however fall short with diversity and socializing students. Cliques are highly common- transfer students are first to point this out. Diversity amoung students is extremely limited as well making exposure to race a thing we can only read about. Rules and policy are considerably conservative with a strictly enforced dress code, little tolerance for cursing, phrases like "pray for..." will be publically displayed, so more "free spirits" may find the district slightly uncomfortable. In sum this school is not a good idea if a parent wants their child to develop "well rounded" social skills (though extra effort can achieve this without the school's help) but is fantastic for getting ahead with grades.

Posted November 28, 2010

I graduated from Carroll in 2008 and am so thankful for such a great education! I look around at my college classmates and know that I came into IU with a better foundation than 90% of them. So many incredible memories and awesome teachers.. and the new expansion makes me so jealous!

Posted October 29, 2010

I have been a student in this area from grade kindergarten and i am a freshman. This school is one of the best schools in the area. Very rarely are there any problems with drugs or fights. There are a lot of rules but it is a very safe school and it also has many activities to get involved in. The recent expansion is finished and is a huge convenience and the school also features a new gym with a capacity of around 3800 people and a new spirit wear shop, it also has many technological advances in classrooms. I highly recomend this school to anyone wanting to move to this area.

Posted June 23, 2010

As a parent of a Carroll High Student I must say that I am very pleased with the school. I feel that they do go above and beyond for students that need additional help with subject matters, taking test etc.to ensure that the student graduates.

Posted April 29, 2009

this school is very nice they really helps kids with what they want to do when they get older.I goes there and i loves it. My brother will begoing there in a couple of years

Posted April 27, 2009

Several reviews here are based on a decision by the school district to expand Carroll rather than split the district into two high schools. There are still some hard feelings in the community over that decision. Carroll High School offers excellent opportunities for students of many different interests and abilities. The current expansion construction has been a challenge, but the facilities are (or will be) first-rate. Easily the best in Allen County. I saw a review mentioning widespread drugs and violence. This is utter hogwash. I'm around Carroll and its students on a regular basis and it is a very safe and comfortable community. These kids are the best group of teenagers I have ever been around. As with any school, there is a drug community as well, but it is clearly in the fringe of the Carroll population. My only complaint: Discipline seems to be a little capricious and heavy-handed at times.

Posted December 23, 2008

Carroll High School may be a little bias on many topics and focus on athletics a bit too much but there are those teachers that are very nice and helpful like Mr. Knorr. He is an awesome physics teacher. I think that even though thorugh these drawbacks. The true warmth and fire within is better than the exoskeleton of these faults. Hey it has many great programs! This is truly one of the best schools to be in. No matter what otheres say, Carroll is the school for me. Go Chargers!

Posted May 30, 2008

Being a current student of Ball State University's Accounting program, I have Carroll High School to thank for most of my preparation and success so far during college. No doubt about it....this school is top notch. Parents that want and desire their children to succeed in life will find that Carroll delivers. Students wishing to major in Accounting, Business Administration, or Finance will find Carroll's business classes preparatory and rigorous. The extra-curricular business programs at Carroll (such as the Academy of Finance), prepared me for my internships and gave me real-world experience to apply to my college courses. The recent graduates of this school will soon realize that their education at Carroll has strongly prepared them for college. I am very proud to be a Carroll graduate.

Posted January 8, 2008

As a student of this school, I feel that I was lucky to have received my education at Carroll High School, at least academically. The administration is biased and focuses mostly on athletes and those who excell academically, but if one is willing to work hard to receive a decent education, there is no better school in Fort Wayne or its surrounding areas. It prepares students for college very effectively and requires effort to excell, though the work is well worth the benefits of the education.

Posted December 2, 2007

Needs to be more focused on students and not themselves. Too much worrying about rules and regulations versus actual commitment and teaching.

Posted November 4, 2007

Awful school. Ranked highly, however the administration is completely biased, obsessed with athletics, and frivilous with money. The only teachers hired are those who are relatives of school administrators, resulting in AWFUL teachers. I have never encountered a school with less respect for its students and their parents. I moved from Carroll to a small school in Northern Michigan that was provided much less money per student and received a MUCH better education than I received at Carroll. I would advise NO ONE to attend Carroll High School, or any of the other NACS schools. The middle schools are even worse than CHS. If you haven't moved to NACS district yet, reconsider.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 20, 2007

I had heard great things about this school system before enrolling my child, but after moving here, I found many disappointing things out about the high school. I have never encountered such arrogance and rudeness as I encountered at the grade 10-12 building. Both administrators and office staff have been extremely difficult to work with, and are unwilling to even listen to parents. My child has lost all respect for the principals and secretaries due to the way he has been treated there. Mind you, he's never been to the office for disciplinary reasons, only for assistance. They seem to be far more interested in making up new rules as they go along, than in providing any real service to the students. If I could do it over, I would not have sent him here. Academics aren't everything.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

537 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

526 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

District
State

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1072

Graduation rate

97.2%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A46%
Special education 9%N/A14%
English learners 2%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3701 Carroll Road