Carroll High School 2

Posted February 10, 2014
As one of the "free spirited individuals" mentioned by one of the other reviews, my worst memories of adolescence will always be from Carroll High School. During my time there, the new Gay-Straight Alliance had every attempt made to shut it down while the "Common Sense Club" for conservatives and a pushy religious student group were allowed to flourish and were encouraged by staff. I was bullied for my lack of traditional beliefs/"New Age" thoughts and many of my friends were as well. There are a lot of anti-bullying programs, but they're not uniformly enforced. The education is very good, but you have to be prepared to deal with a really diverse cast of teachers who all have very different grading styles and standards. The only complaint I have about that is that MLA formatting is promoted as the way colleges will want papers when every paper I've had to write has required APA. My recommendation for other "free spirits" that have to go to Carroll: do what I did and set yourself on the seven-semester graduation program. Keep your head down and your mouth shut unless something really bad is going on. Make a few really good friends and get involved with things outside school.

Posted January 08, 2014
Carroll high school offers an experience I do not believe I could have received in any other school I the area. Great variety of helpful faculty and student peers provides the best environment for growth. The opportunities the school offers exposes students to many different pathways for the future. I feel prepared for further education and believe the push carroll provides helped build me into a motivated student.

Posted August 10, 2013
This school has every possible good factor that you would want to see in a school. Some of the rules in the school are frowned upon, but that aside, everything else about this school is fantastic.

Posted March 03, 2013
Some of these reviews are comical. I'm currently a senior at Carroll and have loved this school to death. Yes the administration overdoes it sometimes with rules. However there are zero problems with violence, gangs intimidation and bullying. The administrations job isn't to be friendly, it is to provide a professional environment to learn and prepare yourself for the real world. The academics here are stellar, and even the lower level classes have challenged me. Even if you are a genius, you will be challenged at Carroll. The student body is white, rich, and it seems fairly religious. However, the wealthy part of Carroll is negated by the Huntertown students and country kids. The athletics are getting better each year and Carroll is starting to look more like a 5A school each year. The bottom line is that this school prepares students for college and gives the tools they need to be successful. The administration griping gets old after a while.. This school still outperforms almost all the other public schools in the state even though it is underfunded. Oh and the soccer coach here sucks (Rollie Clements) they would have like 3 state titles if they had someone else.

Carroll High School 2

Posted November 27, 2012
Administration cares too much about rules and regulations than student and are rude. They are not open-minded and are biased (They even made a "common sense" club for conservatives!) Sure you'll get a great education but you'll pay for it by them taking every right you have and making you obey senseless rules. You have no opinion about it by the way....

Posted September 03, 2012
Let me just start by saying I absolutely LOVED Carroll. My academic career there began with me entering sophomore year without any credits. From fourth grade until then I was home schooled, and my mom didn't feel it necessary to send in tests to be graded for credits. I don't blame her, but it did add a little pressure on me to obtain all 44 required credits before graduating. Within the six semesters that I was enrolled, I managed to overcome that pressure and receive my Core 40 diploma with the rest of the class of 2010. In my opinion, the teachers made all the difference in the world. Mrs. Shade gave up her mornings to personally review my homework with me, Mrs. Mowrey granted me the extra 10 seconds or so after the tardy bell rang because administration didn't give enough time for me to sprint (yes, I had to run and still couldn't make the bell) between buildngs after gym to her classroom. Mr. Adams gave me an extension on a paper, even though the policy is to mark an assignment as a 0 if not turned in within three days, because my partner hadn't done her share. There are so many instances of teachers going above and beyond to help me succeed. I'm blessed to have attended CHS.

Carroll High School 1

Posted December 04, 2011
School still hasn't recovered from its 2005/2006 expulsion of a student who criticized the administration in a comedy (which embarrassed the school with nationwide media coverage). They haven't learned from their mistakes, as parents and students are pushed aside for the administration's personal objectives. It's a good school compared to Northrop and others, but if you want your kid to end up in college and successful, send them elsewhere.

Carroll High School 4

Posted January 26, 2011
Carroll High School is an outstanding school. The new construction includes a fantastic gym, state-of-the-art band/choral facilities, and classrooms equipped to teach students in the 21st century. This high school isn't perfect, but a lot of the things that are bad about this school happen at EVERY HIGH SCHOOL EVER. There is SIGNIFICANTLY less drug use at CHS than in most high schools of its size. The teachers at Carroll are truly good people who can give students a quality, college-prep education. As a former student, I would have to admit that the administration is the biggest drawback at Carroll. They are very strict on attendance, dress code, etc., but that is mostly because they don't really have to concern themselves with bigger problems like fights, gangs, guns, etc. There is a full time police officer with a drug dog for the district. There are some quality administrators (most of their titles start with vice- ), but the lowest level administrators/office staff tend to get a touch power-hungry. The academic rigor for advanced students is EXCELLENT, and even the general classes prepare students for college much better than the equivalent classes at other area high schools.

Carroll High School 3

Posted January 18, 2011
I graduated from Carroll in 2009. This school is thorough with its academics, and prepares students very well for college with its rigorous tests and essays provided. An average scoring student will still enter college and find it to be MUCH easier than high school, something not many college students say when they compare high school and college academics. Sports are highly valued and top notch, as are the arts' programs. Unfortunately this school does however fall short with diversity and socializing students. Cliques are highly common- transfer students are first to point this out. Diversity amoung students is extremely limited as well making exposure to race a thing we can only read about. Rules and policy are considerably conservative with a strictly enforced dress code, little tolerance for cursing, phrases like "pray for..." will be publically displayed, so more "free spirits" may find the district slightly uncomfortable. In sum this school is not a good idea if a parent wants their child to develop "well rounded" social skills (though extra effort can achieve this without the school's help) but is fantastic for getting ahead with grades.

Posted November 28, 2010
I graduated from Carroll in 2008 and am so thankful for such a great education! I look around at my college classmates and know that I came into IU with a better foundation than 90% of them. So many incredible memories and awesome teachers.. and the new expansion makes me so jealous!

Carroll High School
3701 Carroll Road, Fort Wayne, IN  46818
Last modified Carroll High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carroll High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top