Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Deer Ridge is a good school until you have any kind of issues. Confrontations are avoided at all costs by certain teachers and the principal. The school advocates the no tolerance for bullying yet does little or nothing about it when it is brought to their attention. Unless there is evidence caught on camera, the child will be doubted that anything even happened. This action is so damaging to those children who do speak up only to learn no repercussions will be put into play for the bullies. Upon entering the school you have to be let in, the doors are locked and there is a speaker and a camera on the door. 8 times out of 10 I am just let in without being questioned as to why I am there. Considering all the tragedies we have endured this day and age, that concerns me. On several occasions I have had the opportunity to have lunch with my children. The children have so little time to eat,unfortunately most of what was put on their trays is thrown in the trash. What sickens me is, if there are school performances, the children have to EAT ON THE FLOOR! Where everyone else has stepped with who knows what was on their shoes. The monitors are constantly telling the children they need to hurry up and get outside. As with many other schools, standardized testing is one of the main focuses on most of the curriculum. They touch on some subjects and move on quickly - not much material is being mastered. Interventions are administered for those children who have less than desirable test scores. There are many school activities, which could not be possible without all the volunteers that are willing to donate their time. From what I have encountered, most of the children who attend this school really like it. I just feel adjustments need to be made so the parents feel the same.

Deer Ridge School has a terrific music specialist in Sue Caudill. She directed the elementary school choir for " Circle the State with Song" this weekend. To hear hundreds of children from many area schools singing together in perfect harmony, was a great, joyful, experience. This school is fortunate to have Mrs.Caudill on their staff!

My son went to Deer Ridge for 3 yrs before that he was at a small private school that he and I both Loved. We didnt feel the school very welcoming. The first impression from the school is the secretary which was dreadful everytime you have to come in contact with her as she is not friendly at all. My kids go to another SWAC school and love it:)

I'm not sure what some of the posters expect about racial diversity from this school. They cannot help who does and does not live in their school district. I speak from experience as I have three kids in this school. All of them do very well but expect parent involvement or this will not be the school for you. There is excellent communication between teachers including phone numbers and email. I could not imagine sending my kids anywhere else. A certain third grade teacher named Pam turned my uninterested, low test scores kid into a straight A student who is actually interested in his homework and school a few years back. He continues to do well to this day. Maybe it is just the way I went to school, but it does seem SACS plays revolving doors with school principles. This school never seems to have the same one more than three years in a row.

We moved here from out of state and checked out all the schools in the southwest srea and Deer Ridge was rated #1. That's why we moved to this area. Our child goes to the school and really loves it. the teachers and the students were very welcoming towards our child. We are very happy with Deer Ridge. The teachers are wonderful, love their jobs, very willing to help out in any way. I have very much enjoyed helping out at the school. The other parents have been very friendly and welcoming. This elementary is alot better than the one my child went to.

Deer Ridge has historically been a very strong school with dedicated teachers, staff and extremely involved parents. The incredible musicals are just an example of this dedication--the staff and parents definitely go above and beyond.

We chose the southwest area of Fort Wayne for the schools and we're so glad we did! Deer Ridge has been an excellent school for my kids. Most of the teachers are excellent and love their jobs and it's evident! What I really appreciate is not just the academic focus, but the character focus. The motto is "Treat People Right and Do the Right Thing". They integrate that into the curriculum. It's been a great school and I would recommend it to anyone.

We have just moved to the area there are 4 kindergarden classes 22 in a class. The school is large. It is too early to tell how this school will be. You will receive a car pool number to receive your child. Most kids take the bus. The gifted or alpha program is in another school the students are bused there and you must test for it during the following school year or year prior to coming to Deer Ridge. Teachers seem motivated and there is a structured curriculum.

Deer Ridge is the best. Great teachers and great students. This is a high achieving school. People who jsut send their kid to scholl and don't participate will find it hard to fit in as parents are very active.

Last modified Deer Ridge Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.