9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Our daughter attended public school for several years before we moved her to Canterbury. It's the best decision we ever made for her. She never had fewer than 28 students in her class at public school; at Canterbury, she's never had more than 18 in a class. The opportunities she has had at Canterbury are so far beyond anything she was offered at her former school--not only things like foreign language and strings, but also multiple field trips a year, class trips, and so many artistic outlets. We couldn't afford Canterbury without financial aid, but we have never been made to feel "less than" for it; over 30% of the students receive financial aid, and nobody knows which families receive it unless you tell them. It is true that Canterbury is pretty white, but it has become more racially diverse every year we've been there, and even within that whiteness, there is diversity. A surprising number of students are first-generation Americans--I know several families who emigrated from Eastern Europe and the MIddle East, as well as southeast Asia. There is also religious diversity; for example, none of the kids at her former school were Jewish or Muslim, but at Canterbury she has met kids from those faith traditions as well as others. The academics and teacher support are unlike anything I've ever experienced, either as a parent or during my own school days. Are there problems at Canterbury? Of course, but there are at every school. In my experience, Canterbury is what you make of it.

What I'm most upset about is shelling out a ton of cash when most don't seem to. The school gives out way to much in athletic scholarship. It's just not a good thing, "you don't need to be smart, just good on the court". And the students can be bullies, like their parents! I know the schools name is what prople want, but it's not enough for us.

Canterbury has a unique education. Everyone learns a language...even the two year olds(they learn French). Starting at third grade they can play an instrument. There is also finacial aid to those who need it. Highly recommend . I'm in 6th grade, played volleyball,basketball, gotten all A's and 1 b+, and are going to play soccer and participate in the middle school musical. Definitely not like any other school. I have 14 including me in my class.

After sending my kids through their first year at Canterbury High School, I realized that was one of the biggest mistakes I've made. There is no reason to pay almost $15,000 when hardly any of the new incoming Freshmen students do. The school gives out many "academic" scholarships but really their just allowing good soccer and girls basketball players with often poor grades into the school for a fraction of the price. As a parent, Canterbury has done nothing but frustrate me, and it seems pointless to spend all of this money for a good education when I have some of the best public schools in the state nearby in Homestead and Carroll with great academic programs comparable to Canterbury.

Teachers really want students to know information, make themselves available as well as resources available. Teachers/administrators "raise the bar" for academic & behavior expectations. Help is available for those who need it but the entire class is not held back if one student is having issues. If extra help is warranted it is provided. Truly a unique school.

What a wonderful school.. and they do offer financial aid...It is a great college prep school and if your child is ready to work hard and get a great education, send them to Canterbury. I am so glad I did.

Wealthy parents are rude, recruiting of athletes not paying their $14,000 in annual tuition is out of control, major drug usage in student body that parents (and school recruiters) actively deny to help sell the school, kids have no idea of real world and administration aggressively slams other area schools while using any method of sales to persuade your child to enroll. Overall, you could not pay me to send my child to Canterbury. Homestead High School can provide the same education while saving you $14,000 per year.

Canterbury High School has been a wonderful experience for my son who will be sophomore this year. Where else can he play three sports and play an instrument in the jazz band? The curriculum is challenging, but the teachers are always willing to help students who need it. The class sizes are small. They offer summer classes for the incoming freshmen and sophomores. Overall making this investment in your child's education is totally worth it.

I highly disagree with comments that Canterbury is non-diverse and has cramped classrooms. My peers from other public schools have told me their classes have 25 to 30 people in them. I was shocked. My largest class has 18 and the average size of my classes is 16 students. For high school, that is a great student to teacher ratio. As for the non-diverse statement, while the majority of students are caucasian, I have so many friends of other ethnicities. It really give my learning a deeper feel. Teachers are great. The actually CARE about the students. I feel comfortable coming in after school for help with my papers. Some teachers even give out their cell-phone numbers for students to call and arrange meetings. The students are my favorite part of Canterbury. As one of my friends that transferred here stated aptly "people are actually nice here!" I haven't ever felt threatened at Canterbury and bullying is absolutely not tolerated. I feel as if Canterbury is the best school for me to thrive in.

This school prepares the student for college. It is excellent in teaching time managgement. It is excellent in teaching individual responsibility. The prep for college writing is beyond anyone else. Athletics includes an "all inclusive" approach - so if you want to try soccer or baseball you will have the opportunity to be on a team and play. My daughter was a National Merit Finalist as well as attending an Ivy college. It is a great education with people you want your kids to think of as their peers. You will not like the cost but you will love the results from this education.

Last modified Canterbury School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12