Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted January 30, 2016
The principal, Mrs. Rodgers is awesome. She has a common sense approach to everything and you can tell the staff is comfortable around her. So far, Mrs. Bellinger & Miss Waite have been the best teachers!

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted January 30, 2016
Shambaugh teachers generally don't require students to remain in their desks for long periods. Even if they are reading, they are encouraged to find a comfortable spot in the room. I think they understand kids will check out if they become to bored, so they find activities to keep them (at least partly) interested. Of course there is room for improvement, but given the time restraints, they do an amazing job. I would like to see more time put into sending learning materials home (flashcards, simple games, etc.). I think most parents are happy to help and repetition is key to elementary ed!

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted January 30, 2016
There is very little homework. If it weren't for my sons planner, I wouldn't know what he's learning in school. That can make it hard for parents to support the school's agenda.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted January 30, 2016
Shambaugh offers their students academic challenges consistently. The work gets harder as the year progresses and I think they don't obsess with standardized tests to gain learning. They're are many hands on projects instead. I wish though that there was more time given to complete assignments. It seems everything operates in 20 minute increments and many things (like writing) just starts to flow by the time they are rushed into the next thing. I think it's unnecessary stress on young kids.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted January 30, 2016
Shambaugh has a special education room led by the sweetest and most loving teacher I've ever met. Her name is Mrs. Beer and I challenge anyone to find someone who doesn't agree! She is the best person to work with children with special needs. This school also mainstreams children with less debilitating issues like ADHD. They really do their best to resolve issues for these kids. Their goal is to get them back in class ready to learn. For the most part, I see a much softer approach than I personally would use.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted January 30, 2016
For the most part, Shambaugh does encourage honesty, integrity and fairness. However, sometimes I witness teachers and assistants yell/punish groups of children instead of figuring out which student specifically was responsible...sort of guilty by association. I'm guess this is common among schools though given they are responsible for so many students at one time.

Willard Shambaugh Elementary School 5

Posted January 30, 2016
In my opinion, 6 out of 10 stars is grossly low for Shambaugh! I have 2 boys who attend and it's been a great experience. Yes, there have been small problems along the years but the principal has a talent for conflict resolution! I would also say at least 90% of the staff have kind hearts and are there for the right reasons. The PTA is very active, which shows how open the administration is to parents being as involved as they want. We came from a private Christian school and weren't feeling heard or supported. Shambaugh has been the opposite! We are very lucky to live in their district!

Willard Shambaugh Elementary School 5

Posted May 29, 2015
Shambaugh is an amazing school full of wonderful teachers and staff. They really care about the students, and anyone who tells you any different doesn't have all the facts (or is refusing to look at all the facts). Shambaugh teachers care more than any other school my children or I have been to. Mrs. Rodgers is an amazing principal with a huge heart. Shambaugh students are held to high expectations in both academics and behavior. Send your child to Shambaugh, and expect to get the best education possible in Fort Wayne.

Willard Shambaugh Elementary School 4

Posted August 29, 2014
I am appalled by the comment and acquisition made against Mrs. Noel. All 3 of my children had her and have excelled and believe because of her.I would take her advise in a heartbeat,because she is very experienced and lives her job.

Willard Shambaugh Elementary School 1

Posted January 09, 2013
Under the new leadership of the current principal, we are removing our daughter. It is abundantly clear that under the oversight of this new and newly installed principal, that autistic kids who have behavioral challenges will be expelled. Having contended with the school for my autistic daughter, by means of a lawyer, the new principal has made it her agenda to expel my daughter. At every instance of behavioral issues, a new "manifestation for termination" is issued. To count, twice in less than 2 months. An underhanded tactic to force my daughters expulsion that we cannot afford to fight, due to legal costs. The current principal has no qualms about lying, using underhanded tactics to enforce her will and requesting other teachers to communicate with parents. Unethical and far below standards for "Principal leadership." The previous principal NEVER used such tactics and worked with us as parents and our child. On the positive side, the teachers are caring and responsive. If your child has autism and has behavioral issues that directly correlate with the diagnosis of autism, do not send your child to Shambaugh. The current principal will expel them.

5320 Rebecca Street, Fort Wayne, IN  46835
Last modified Willard Shambaugh Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.