Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Shambaugh teachers generally don't require students to remain in their desks for long periods. Even if they are reading, they are encouraged to find a comfortable spot in the room. I think they understand kids will check out if they become to bored, so they find activities to keep them (at least partly) interested. Of course there is room for improvement, but given the time restraints, they do an amazing job. I would like to see more time put into sending learning materials home (flashcards, simple games, etc.). I think most parents are happy to help and repetition is key to elementary ed!

Amount of homework: Disagree

There is very little homework. If it weren't for my sons planner, I wouldn't know what he's learning in school. That can make it hard for parents to support the school's agenda.

Develops character: Agree

For the most part, Shambaugh does encourage honesty, integrity and fairness. However, sometimes I witness teachers and assistants yell/punish groups of children instead of figuring out which student specifically was responsible...sort of guilty by association. I'm guess this is common among schools though given they are responsible for so many students at one time.

In my opinion, 6 out of 10 stars is grossly low for Shambaugh! I have 2 boys who attend and it's been a great experience. Yes, there have been small problems along the years but the principal has a talent for conflict resolution! I would also say at least 90% of the staff have kind hearts and are there for the right reasons. The PTA is very active, which shows how open the administration is to parents being as involved as they want. We came from a private Christian school and weren't feeling heard or supported. Shambaugh has been the opposite! We are very lucky to live in their district!

Shambaugh is an amazing school full of wonderful teachers and staff. They really care about the students, and anyone who tells you any different doesn't have all the facts (or is refusing to look at all the facts). Shambaugh teachers care more than any other school my children or I have been to. Mrs. Rodgers is an amazing principal with a huge heart. Shambaugh students are held to high expectations in both academics and behavior. Send your child to Shambaugh, and expect to get the best education possible in Fort Wayne.

I am appalled by the comment and acquisition made against Mrs. Noel. All 3 of my children had her and have excelled and believe because of her.I would take her advise in a heartbeat,because she is very experienced and lives her job.

Under the new leadership of the current principal, we are removing our daughter. It is abundantly clear that under the oversight of this new and newly installed principal, that autistic kids who have behavioral challenges will be expelled. Having contended with the school for my autistic daughter, by means of a lawyer, the new principal has made it her agenda to expel my daughter. At every instance of behavioral issues, a new "manifestation for termination" is issued. To count, twice in less than 2 months. An underhanded tactic to force my daughters expulsion that we cannot afford to fight, due to legal costs. The current principal has no qualms about lying, using underhanded tactics to enforce her will and requesting other teachers to communicate with parents. Unethical and far below standards for "Principal leadership." The previous principal NEVER used such tactics and worked with us as parents and our child. On the positive side, the teachers are caring and responsive. If your child has autism and has behavioral issues that directly correlate with the diagnosis of autism, do not send your child to Shambaugh. The current principal will expel them.

Perhaps a little baised, but as a former student (now a college senior) and with news of their autism class I returned to Shambaugh and it remains a great looking school and the feeling you have inside promotes security about school performance. The teachers I had that still work there also remind me that their longevity is not just based on seniority but on their "too good to be fired" teaching skills. I would highly reccomend Shambaugh be looked at as a school for your children.

I will go against the grain and say that I am glad that Mrs. Carr is no longer there. Since the new prinicpal has come in, it feels like a different school. I have three kids who have attended Shambaugh. For the most part, the teachers are great, but the execution needed help. I have high hopes for the school going into the future. Good luck Mr. Smiley and staff.

Last modified Willard Shambaugh Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.