Benjamin Banneker Achievement Center

Public | K-8 | 552 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 7, 2014

As a former student of banneker elementary I have to say that majority of the comments I have read are accurate but not seen from a student's point of view. As a child I and many of my peers were subject to physical punishment and ridicule but was also subject to personal pride and elecution. Yes there are more deficits then achievements but as a college freshman I can say majority if the principles and morals that I follow today academically, I aquired at Banneker school. My mother also had many problems with the school, faculty, and administrators which even resulted in a law suit but I didn't want to leave because of the promise that the school made us that we will be sucsuccessful at the end. I hope all parents can see this and make a wise decision when enrolling/ resigning their child from this school because as a student for 5 years I can say im glad I went.

Posted October 12, 2013

I HATE BANNEKER! Banneker is ran like a prison! The teachers & principal do nothing well yell, scream, threaten & beat! Yeah, academically your child will be ahead, but at what cost? OVER half the time, your teaching your children the material because the class size are at 30-40 children. This is my daughter's 2nd year and I will be pulling her out next year, where she will be returning to private school. I'm totally done!

Posted October 8, 2013

This is my daughters first year at Banneker and they have welcomed her with open arms. She can't wait to get to class and share in activities with her classmates. Mrs. Hartzog is a outstanding and very professional educator and has captured my daughters heart. kudos.

Posted August 14, 2013

I went to this school as a child, my children and my children's children. I do not expect the school to teach my children what I should have taught them at home. It is my hope that we realize that this school excels upon completion of achievement with children in the forefront of the plan. As parents, we must support the school system. Learning begins at home. Teaching begins at home. Discipline begins at home. School brings the training that we have begun to another level, should you choose to have your child excel.

Posted May 29, 2013

Banneker school has got beyond itself. I am parent that is highly upset with Banneker.My child has attended Banneker since 4th grade. He is now in the 6th grade. I don't like the environment, learning skills, and the maintenance . My Issue with the teacher is that,when my son comes home from school he is not (learning.)He tells me that the teachers let the class play games and have free time all the time.Also another issue is the restroom. My child told me that they run out of tissue,soap, paper towels, etc , and the janitors will not give them any. That the teacher will not let him out until they think he really has to go.There are many problems going on with Banneker School.You say Banneker is a 5 star school . It is more like a 2 star school.I am highly upset !!! fix it soon

Posted November 1, 2012

Banneker is a school where your child will get pushed to be the best they can be. Lots of homework, discipline and also love. The staff and the leadership care about the growth of the students. Areas that have just been added are band and there is a process of computer software on the third grade level that will be expanding to other grades. Out of all local schools it strives to be better ever day. There is proof in the results regardless of what we may say this school is productive.

Posted October 14, 2012

My child is disappointed. she is in 6th grade. Ms.Givens says that shes going to have sports, but has not happened. My child signed up for volleyball, but the instructor never came back to start classes. I asked Ms.Givens why hasn't she came back. She said "We don't have an okay for that sport yet." The children in 6th grade are supposed to be Middle school but they treat them like elementary. No band, No computer class, No foreign language, and No daily P.E class. Send your child to Emerson if he or she wants any of these classes with a great education. ~ Wrote by a Mother using daughter's words.

Posted October 10, 2012

I do not feel that Banneker is meeting the needs of majority of the students. Teachers are constantly yelling and hitting the students! The students are not in a conducive learning environment, and there are far too many teachers who inject their own personal feelings when dealing with students. Many of the children I have spoke with feel that the teachers and Administration are not doing a good job of treating everyone with the same level of fairness. Disciplinary actions are inconsistent, and far too many teachers are 'getting away' with ill behavior. I have personally brought several issues to the attention of the Administration, yet, there is no resolution.

Posted October 9, 2012

I am not happy with Banneker at all! My son is ready to move to another school asap. They are very rude (just call & find out for yourself) and very unorganized, they don't even keep track of something as simple as your child's attendance. When it comes to Gary, there really is not a great school for our children. We are looking for another school for him right now.

Posted October 9, 2012

My first issue is the Principal who appears to avoid the issues. My children have been at this school for 2 years & I am ready to take them out b/c of the activities that they describe of the student's behavior. It makes me very concerned about the safety of my children. This year they are coming home speaking improper & forgetting their place. I feel that the Principal likes to portray a certain image but if you go into the school & spend time as I have, you will see a whole other side. My daughter has a learning disability & due to it, she doesn't do well on I-Step. I was told her test wouldn't be turned into the state. It seems like they only turn in the scores that make them seem like an excellent school. I agree with the teacher & the Oct. 8, 2012 reviews. They are not aloud to talk during lunch or they will kick them out, without finishing their food, teachers hit & cuss children out, the school secretary is unprofessional, rude, & talks down on the children (just call & find out for yourself), the school nurse is rude & unproductive, & the school is very unorganized. They don't even keep track of something as simple as your child's attendance. Looking for another school.

Posted October 9, 2012

Banneker has a lot of memory, they throw out low test scores to help boost their I-Step score. Also a parent, If my son doesn't hand in his homework, they just don't add it into his grades. This caused him to make A/B honor roll, when he really didn't earn it. This made him feel very good about himself, but at the same time he learned that if he doesn't turn in his homework, there isn't a consequent for it & it also makes his grades higher, so homework really doesn't matter to him anymore. What a fight on my hands every night to get him to do his homework. Not something I wanted my child to learn. I am also not happy with Mrs. Givens, she walks up & down the hall yelling: "They are building jails for you right now!" No principal or teacher should be telling my child or all of the other children this! This school is no where close to where they want you to think it is but as far as Gary, this is the best they have to offer.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 8, 2012

Banneker is nothing, but hype. As a former educator, I have taught at some of the best schools and Banneker is just not it. They promote rote memorization vs. critical thinking skills. Students are not engaged in investigative learning as such as the "best" schools" in the country. If you compare it to schools in the inner city, yeah its good, matter of fact it would be great; however your child will not be able to compete with kids from the suburbs coming from Banneker. The school culture is ghetto from the top down. If you are MOVING TO THE AREA FROM ANY SUBURBS THIS IS NOT THE SCHOOL FOR YOUR CHILD. YOUR CHILD WILL BE EXPOSED TO GHETTO BEHAVIOR AND MENTALLY...PLEASE TAKE IT FROM A FORMER EDUCATOR...PLEASE RUN...LOOK ELSEWHERE...Also, where is the diversity? Students need to be around peers of various ethnicities so that they will not experience culture shock or they can simply learn from others. Lastly, they promote corporal punishment and not simply paddling...My child was hit in the back. She was the brightest and didn't quite understand the ghetto culture there.. .People from Gary thinks its good, but look what they have to compare it to.

Posted August 26, 2012

I have 2 children at Banneker and have now started looking for a private school for them. Ms. Givens runs the school like a prison. The children are rushed to eat during lunch and can't even talk. The playground is old and dangerous. The only sport that is offered is boys basketball. There is no school band or newspaper. The office staff is terrible, disorganized and rude. The lunch ladies are tyrants. The awards that Banneker received are based on test scores, but what about creativity. The children learn by memorization and force. No foreign language classes are offered. The school does not have a website. The supply list were given out the first day class when school supplies had already been on sale for weeks. If you are lucky enough to get a lunch menu, it really doesn't matter because it is rarely followed. Ms. Givens forces the children to get breakfast just to keep funding. Most of the food ends up in the trash. The children really do not seem happy and some look like their spirit is broken. They are afraid of the staff. Ms. Givens clearly plays favorites among the students and teachers. If things do not change, I am certain this will be our last year at Banneker.

Posted August 15, 2012

My son and daughter began going to Banneker 2years ago when we moved to Miller and were searching for the best school available to them. I had heard that this was definitely the best school to be at academically and that they won Blue Ribbon, etc. etc. However, I am not pleased at all. They are so unorganized, the office staff has no knowledge of anything when you call, they are unprofessional and I cannot stand the principal Ms. Givens screaming at the children. She is walking through the halls barefoot and yelling things at them that are very unappropriate. I am so unhappy with my children at this school and I desperately wish they could go back to their old school. Everything is last minute notice and so unorganized, it's just ridiculous. This will be their last year here at Banneker and I am glad about it.

Posted August 10, 2010

This is a very great school. Ms Richardson was my childs 1st grade teacher and he has learned a lot. She really tunes into the children and find out what their strength and weaknesses are. She has done wonders with my son Charles. I am happy I made the decision to have my child attend this school. Ms. Sara Givens is one of the best leaders within the educational arena. I know that once my child leaves Banneker, he is going towards the forefront of success. Thanks Banneker Proud Parent

Posted August 9, 2008

Not impressed --alot of emphasis on memorization and regurgitation not learning concepts. My son was here for three years and I am looking elsewhere.

Posted June 26, 2008

Banneker is outstanding. The students want to achieve. The principal, Sarah Givens, is always available and present to the students. They teach the students not only the basic, but time arrival, respect and much more. The ISTEPS scores are always in the upper 90 percentile. I am very proud that my child have been attending this school for the last 3 years, Ericka Brown, mother

Posted May 18, 2005

This school has a great amount of academic programs. Banneker also has very good activities for the children to get involved in. The parents at this school are very concerned and caring.

Posted January 29, 2005

The school is great, sometimes i sound like my son when i say that at times there's just too much homework. In the long run, it will all be for a good cause. There's always something that my child is being exposed to, that he would have never received at another public school.

Posted October 25, 2004

I am very happy that this school has had the success it has had but if you consider they only accept children who are at or above their grade level, the success is not that surprising. There are lots of gifted children in Gary and if you put them in the same school, that school's scores go up, the other school's average goes down because you do not have the high acheivers scores to balance out.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 1% 4%

• Ms Sarah Givens
Fax number
  • (219) 939-1750

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

301 Parke Street