Posted August 01, 2014
Ms. Ramsey is the best Kindergarten Teacher in the Country. The students learn so fast. The students are reading full books.

Posted April 25, 2014
Banneker is the best school in the city of Gary Indiana hands down students who attended this School are successful. It is very hard work but in the end there's a huge benefit to our children. Life is tough so if you want to excel school must be the same. Lots of homework and discipline but 100% on Ideas testing and pizza party after.

Posted April 21, 2014
The school is operated like a prison, the children care not allowed to talk during lunch and if they talk they have detention. The students have too much homework on a daily basis, including the weekend and holiday, it takes my child at least 3 hours to complete the homework.

Posted January 07, 2014
As a former student of banneker elementary I have to say that majority of the comments I have read are accurate but not seen from a student's point of view. As a child I and many of my peers were subject to physical punishment and ridicule but was also subject to personal pride and elecution. Yes there are more deficits then achievements but as a college freshman I can say majority if the principles and morals that I follow today academically, I aquired at Banneker school. My mother also had many problems with the school, faculty, and administrators which even resulted in a law suit but I didn't want to leave because of the promise that the school made us that we will be sucsuccessful at the end. I hope all parents can see this and make a wise decision when enrolling/ resigning their child from this school because as a student for 5 years I can say im glad I went.

Posted October 12, 2013
I HATE BANNEKER! Banneker is ran like a prison! The teachers & principal do nothing well yell, scream, threaten & beat! Yeah, academically your child will be ahead, but at what cost? OVER half the time, your teaching your children the material because the class size are at 30-40 children. This is my daughter's 2nd year and I will be pulling her out next year, where she will be returning to private school. I'm totally done!

Posted August 14, 2013
I went to this school as a child, my children and my children's children. I do not expect the school to teach my children what I should have taught them at home. It is my hope that we realize that this school excels upon completion of achievement with children in the forefront of the plan. As parents, we must support the school system. Learning begins at home. Teaching begins at home. Discipline begins at home. School brings the training that we have begun to another level, should you choose to have your child excel.

Benjamin Banneker Achievement Center 2

Posted May 29, 2013
Banneker school has got beyond itself. I am parent that is highly upset with Banneker.My child has attended Banneker since 4th grade. He is now in the 6th grade. I don't like the environment, learning skills, and the maintenance . My Issue with the teacher is that,when my son comes home from school he is not (learning.)He tells me that the teachers let the class play games and have free time all the time.Also another issue is the restroom. My child told me that they run out of tissue,soap, paper towels, etc , and the janitors will not give them any. That the teacher will not let him out until they think he really has to go.There are many problems going on with Banneker School.You say Banneker is a 5 star school . It is more like a 2 star school.I am highly upset !!! fix it soon

Posted November 01, 2012
Banneker is a school where your child will get pushed to be the best they can be. Lots of homework, discipline and also love. The staff and the leadership care about the growth of the students. Areas that have just been added are band and there is a process of computer software on the third grade level that will be expanding to other grades. Out of all local schools it strives to be better ever day. There is proof in the results regardless of what we may say this school is productive.

Benjamin Banneker Achievement Center 1

Posted October 14, 2012
My child is disappointed. she is in 6th grade. Ms.Givens says that shes going to have sports, but has not happened. My child signed up for volleyball, but the instructor never came back to start classes. I asked Ms.Givens why hasn't she came back. She said "We don't have an okay for that sport yet." The children in 6th grade are supposed to be Middle school but they treat them like elementary. No band, No computer class, No foreign language, and No daily P.E class. Send your child to Emerson if he or she wants any of these classes with a great education. ~ Wrote by a Mother using daughter's words.

Benjamin Banneker Achievement Center 1

Posted October 10, 2012
I do not feel that Banneker is meeting the needs of majority of the students. Teachers are constantly yelling and hitting the students! The students are not in a conducive learning environment, and there are far too many teachers who inject their own personal feelings when dealing with students. Many of the children I have spoke with feel that the teachers and Administration are not doing a good job of treating everyone with the same level of fairness. Disciplinary actions are inconsistent, and far too many teachers are 'getting away' with ill behavior. I have personally brought several issues to the attention of the Administration, yet, there is no resolution.

Benjamin Banneker Achievement Center
301 Parke Street, Gary, IN  46403
Last modified Benjamin Banneker Achievement Center is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Benjamin Banneker Achievement Center Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews.