Rural Community Academy

Public | K-8 | 135 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 17, 2008

As a community volunteer and a substitute teacher, I have made many observations such as: The entire staff treats all students and fellow staff members with respect, care, and compassion. The leadership is the very best you will find. The leadership and the staff have a vision for Rural Community Academy; and they work tirelessly toward that vision. Last summer after school was out I asked about six students, 'Are you glad school is out for the summer?' Of those six students, five students said, 'No'. To me that speaks volumes about the school and the entire staff.

Posted February 8, 2008

Our philosophy of education is teamwork for the adults and student growth coupled with a sense of self for the child. With dedicated staff who truly cares and understands what we are trying to accomplish, with a community who knows where we have been, and with parents who want their children to be the best that they can be, we work together to educate kids using a place-based curriculum to teach the Indiana State Standards. Our philosophy includes student growth in smaller learning environments with individualized, differentiated learning groups. When parent and community volunteers come together with our staff, something good happens. Anyone who cares about this school knows that the most gratifying aspect is the kids. To see these kids grow physically and emotionally, to see them accomplish learning, and to eventually see them become our peers, our neighbors, our co-workers, and our friends is what RCA is all about.

Posted February 8, 2008

I have been with RCA in various positions since its inception and through the transition to reality. The school has grown into an example for other charter schools to follow. Students work at their own level, the community is involved in curriculum presentation as well as extra curricular activities. Community members, staff and administration truly care about the welfare of the students. I would recommend to any parent that their student attend Rural Community Academy, a tuition free public Charter school in Graysville, Indiana where students learn from a placed based curriculum structure to meet their needs.

Posted February 8, 2008

Great School! I love the fact that I can think outside the box to teach students new concepts. The children learn better in an environment where the staff can present the material in a manner that is fun and the kids still learn. Also, a school where all the staff work together and get along is a benefit.

Posted February 8, 2008

I have had two children at RCA, both with very different learning styles. The teachers at RCA do a great job adapting to the needs of the students facilitate learning. I have found that the classroom activities are effective as the teachers use auditory, visual and tactile means of teaching a subject. The use of place-based education has given my children a sence of relevancy for thier education and a greater respect for people throughout the community. I can't express graditude I have for all of the volunteers. As a teacher within a separate school corporation, I have never witness such an eagerness for community involvement. Countless hours are donated by the community each year.

Posted February 8, 2008

I have sent my children to this school since it first opened its doors four years ago. As the doors opened, a tidal wave of quality eduation, compassion, and patience ebbed onto anyone that chose to walk through them. Is it 100% perfect? Is anyone else perfect? The last time I checked, 98% is still an A. What's 20 hrs. a year of volunteer time when they are in school for 185 days a year and 7 hrs. a day. Our teacher's work very hard to make sure our children succeed. I think 20 hrs. is just a drop in the bucket.

Posted February 8, 2008

RCA is a school completely dedicated to the students. Together, the parents, teachers, and community members work to give students a great education and wonderful experiences. With place-based education as its backbone, RCA gives back to its community by teaching students to be successful and respectful citizens by being proud of their 'place'.

Posted February 8, 2008

This school is great! I have seen the staff truly make an effort to identify each child's learning style. They try to teach in a way that allows each child to flourish.

Posted February 8, 2008

Rural Community Academy is a wonderful school. I really like the opportunity to use a wide variety of teaching tools to teach my students. RCA provides experiences that students may not get at home, hands-on activities, community resources, parent and community involvement, and much more. We have an open door policy and anyone can come in to observe or help with activities at any time. Learning new things from our community members is a great experience for both teachers and students. My child is a student at RCA and is very excited about his school. He loves learning new things and really likes his teacher, classmates, and school. RCA is a school where students can feel comfortable and safe. Students are challenged at their own levels and have many opportunites to use their strengths and creativity. I am a very proud teacher and parent of RCA.

Posted February 8, 2008

This school has excellent academic standards. The staff truly cares about the future of their students. They are always thinking outside the box and take the time to care.

Posted February 8, 2008

I am a recent addition to the staff at RCA and couln't be more pleased with the choice that I made. I have had no regrets due to the fact that my fellow peers have given me a grand welcoming. The environment is warm and comforting. I have seen many of the children excel and want to accomplish more. We are not limited to the suffocating feeling of being indoors and bored. The hands on experience teaches them far more than just learning a given subject. The children are shown where and when the things they are learning can be found. They are taught to express their ideas and be confident in themselves. This is a job that doesn't feel like a job because RCA cares about the physical, mental, and educational health of everyone.

Posted February 7, 2008

I love the flexiblilty offered to me as a teacher at RCA. Being held accountable is also a good thing

Posted February 7, 2008

I have been a paraprofessional at Rural Community Academy for 4 years now. Our school is so awesome! The students get an excellent education and are involved in community activities that teach them about our community. Our students get one on one assistance and the progress they make is incredible.

Posted January 26, 2008

RCA is an awesome school for learning. The classes are limited to nineteen students which provides a student with a great deal of contact time with the teacher. The school building is old but in very good condition. A good education is not about how big and expensive the building is but what learn goes on inside. The teachers and staff are all very dedicated to the students getting a great education. The school will soon be offering transportation to and from area communities. The parents are required to be donate time to help the school with projects; I feel that this keeps parents involved with what their children doing as they should be.

Posted September 26, 2007

We had been in the public school Dist. for 5+ yrs...We'd never go back. This school considers the child as an indivual not a #. It is Skill based.

Posted April 24, 2006

Great School, great teachers, great principal! hot lunches,If you want your child to get a good education this is the place.

Posted April 24, 2006

RCA, I'm going into the 7th grade, I really like my school this year. I have a great teacher. I like having a small class. I have lots of friends here. And I like our new principal she cares about kids. We now have hot lunches. and yes we do have kids with learning disabilities I have a buddy that I have buddied up with who has problems like I do who is younger than me, I'm helping him get through some things I went through. so to the person who said we have alot of kids with learning and behavioral disabilities a medicore school. It is worth it, and we with learing problems need schools like this. and people like you are called bullies in the school world. RCA helps all children. I think you are the person with the ego problem that likes to push their weight around.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 24, 2006

This school is wonderful. The teaching staff is always thinking of new ways to help the children. They are very innovative and creative in their teaching styles. The community is very much a part of this school. The state sees this school as a very worthwhile investment. Many companies are donating time, supplies, and money into the first rural charter school of Indiana. Many heads are turning in the statehouse for our small but dynamic school. The only downfall is the transportation. They are now offering hot lunches and many sports activities, along with the academics to back them up. I say 'Way to go RCA'. This is the way to the future.

Posted April 7, 2006

RCA, while making an admirable effort to meet the needs of rural kids, has been a dissappointment. The teaching staff work very hard and there are a few leaders who are honestly doing this work for the sake of the kids. Unfortunately, small town politics and people with large egos tend to push their weight around by spreading gossip and alienating many families. The school has a poor handle on discipline. Many of the school's students are kids with learning or behavioral disabilities. Parents have to transport their own kids back and forth, pack lunches ( no free or reduced lunch program there), and volunteer at least 20 hours to the school. It is a big job for such a mediocore school.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 2% 4%

• Ms Susie Pierce
Fax number
  • (812) 382-4055

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now