Eldon Ready Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 433 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 15, 2014

It saddens me to learn about the demise of Ready. I attended from the early to mid 80's. We came from blue-collared families with ninety percent of our fathers working in the steel mills. What I am proud to say is that many of Ready's alums are top professionals in their field....including doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, TV producers, and executives. Unfortunately, Ready's decline happened when the acceptance requirements at the Mansards were lowered (in the 80's, the Mansards WAS high class). With lower standards, you attract lower class individuals....and that's exactly what happened. Why should people moving across the state line change their attitude towards education or anything else? North Griffith as become an extension of the south side of Chicago. Do not blame the teachers, the principal, or the school system; you should first look into the mirror as ask, "How much have I invested into my child's education?" When was the last time you sat down and helped with homework, or what was your attitude towards your own education growing up? Odds are that attitude from then is rubbing off on your child now. I'm almost 40, and will remain a proud Ready Rocket!!!

Posted July 25, 2013

Ready is the worst school in griffith , the new principal is a joke she's never available to talk to about problems my son was having I had to go to the superintendent of schools .I had several problems with the teachers talking to my children like they've lost their minds. If you can please try wasworth school in griffith much better. Please due your research about this school cause ever since Mr Brown left and the new principal came this school has become a serious problem.

Posted June 15, 2013

This school is horrible. Every day my child comes home from a late bus (supposedly the bus breaks down every day according to the school, but not my 9-year -old), depressed by the way they treat her, and scared of what stupid stuff they are going to yell at her about. The lunches are so gross that my daughter brings a lunch every day. I loved the other school, beriger, for her and she likes it.

Posted August 26, 2012

The staff at Ready Elementary are very unprofessional and I believe prejudice. The staff lost my child registration packet. The second day of school my son 4th grade teacher complained about him, she even made faces to me like she was already frustrated. The 4th grade teacher don't know how to deal with the children, don't try to help when a child needs it but instead ask another child to help.I had to go to the school several times to put my son teacher in her place not to disrespect or yell at my son. The teachers spend more time disciplining the students than teaching. Ready always tries to hold a child back by keeping him or her in the same grade. Ready is a terrible school if you can put your child in another school please.

Posted August 20, 2012

FYI: It is against indiana state law to deny a child to participate in school filed trips due to the parents inability to pay. Last school year my daughter was prevented from going on the school field trip to the zoo due to the school unorganized record keeping, after investigation they found that i did pay for her to go on the trip and they were sorry for their mistake. My mother called the state board of education and was told whether i paid or not it was against the law for them to keep her from the trip. Also i was constantly being told my daughter needed more help and was falling behind so i paid $240 a month for retired teachers and substitute teachers to tutor my child and they stated what i knew all along that my child is right on target with her age group. Ready still stated that she needs to be kept behind so i transferred schools. Good Luck everyone

Posted July 31, 2012

Ready Elementary serves a rougher area of Griffith, Indiana that includes the Mansards apartment complex, home to many transient families coming to Indiana from even rougher parts of Chicago. Considering the student population they must serve, and the family hardships these kids deal with, I feel the school does a good job of educating students in not only reading, writing, and arithmetic but citizenship and discipline, as well. A school is not just the people who work there and the students that attend; it is also a reflection of the community that feeds into it. IMHO, Ready does a good job given the hand it has been dealt. Teachers and administrators are concerned about the kids, not just that they move on to the next grade or pass ISTEPs but that they become responsible, hard-working, thoughtful individuals. What this school really needs is a more stable, concerned community to support it.

Posted July 23, 2012

This school is the worst! I moved here from the chicago's school system where I thought was bad, but have seen that it CAN get worst! These teachers spend more time disciplining kids instead of teaching them, then when their grades suffer they want to blame the kids. I am strongly convinced that these people are prejudice against minorities! It is so obvious! Please stay away from this school at all means necessary!

Posted July 19, 2012

What can I say? I am so happy we moved and I was able to get my children away from this school and into a more nurturing environment. My children were being bullied (by more than the other children, I suspect) and the school's response was to not inform the principal: "We don't like to get her involved with little stuff" I was refused a meeting with her. My oldest was in Ms McGuire's class for 4th grade-what a joke! This woman needs to stop teaching. My son had all d's and f's -no help was offered, even after I requested it. When he was at the new school, his teacher pulled me aside saying she received the grades from Ready and could not believe it was the same child! He was doing very well and was an a/b student. At the end of the year she told him "I don't know what was going on at the other school, but you are an excellent student and I was proud to have you in my class". I have also witnessed the bullying of another student by this teacher and the other 4th grade teacher, while on a field trip. I was horrified and the child was terrified of both teachers and came to me for protection-it was crazy! If you can avoid this school, by all means, do- it is not worth it

Posted January 18, 2011

dI just recently moved 3kmiles to indiana. Ive been trying to register my kids in "Ready" elementary and have encountered the worst and non professional staff at "Ready" elementary! They are very rude. I asked them for information and did not get it. And talking to other parents they have recieved the same treatment and now are transfering their kids to other schools. So parents beware.

Posted July 4, 2010

I had a 2nd grader and a kindergartner in this school. The 2nd grader loved his teacher and we felt he learned alot (though I would've liked him to be a little more challanged in math). The kindergartener, on the other hand, HATED going to school and I felt a lot of resistance and discouragement from his teacher-I even felt like she picked on my child (and he did too). Red and yellow cards home everyday were enough to make everyone in my home upset, especially when he went to preschool for 2years and his teacher had nothing but good things to say (I even went back to her for her opinion and can not tell you how surprised she was to hear he was having such problems). Twice my children were let to walk home by themselves when we were late to pick up-dangerous? Yes

Posted April 28, 2010

I just moved here from Chicago in January so my children started in the middle of the year. I have two boys, a 1st grader and a 3rd grader. My 3rd grader has been struggling in this class since the beginning and I will have to say that the teachers are very involved with him and always communicate with me and my husband in regards to where our children are at in the class. Although my 3rd grader is behind a little, they are really consistent with trying to help as much as possible. The only downside is that they do not offer extra credit or tutoring which I believe all schools should have due to the variety of kids learning abilities. Overall though it is a pretty decent school, no major complaints.

Posted September 24, 2009

This school is fantastic. All of my children attend and scored pass+ on the ISTEP exams. The parent involvement is out of this world.

Posted May 31, 2009

I have two children currently enrolled here. They both love their teachers and are really doing well with the curriculum. I like the regular communication that we parents have with the teachers and the principal.

Posted February 9, 2009

My son goes to this school and he comes home everyday complaining about the unfairness and the teachers not teaching him anything.

Posted February 6, 2009

My daughter goes to this and she loves it. Mr. Brown make sure he keeps the parents informed and they're always having something for the kids to keep them entertained and occupied. I'm from Chicago where they have a really bad public school system. I would'nt trade this school system with Chicago ever. My daughter learns more than I would have ever guessed. Ready keep up the good work.

Posted May 14, 2007

I was extremely disappointed when my son attended Ready.While there are a few good teachers who seem to want to educate,there are way to many that had petty issues and would have rather dealt with that then to actually teach.I am hoping that with a new principal,the school has changes for the better,but I have my doubts as I still a few teachers are there that should have stopped teaching when they got burned out years ago.

Posted March 28, 2007

The academic programs are on point. My children are really learning a lot. Mr. Brown is very good with the children and parents. Mrs. Lomax has brought so much to the school for the PTC. The fun fair was the best and my daughter still has not stopped talking about the father daughter dance. The school has become more personal to everyone, now just people in the click. Keep up the good work for our kids.

Posted September 19, 2006

So far so good. My son really likes the school the teachers and the students. He is now being offered speech which wasn't available to him at his previous school and he is so excited. I believe I made a great choice putting him in Ready.

Posted April 8, 2006

Ready is a excellent school, My daughter has been a good student ever since she transfered out of chicago school system. I highly recommend this school and the teacher really care about the students.

Posted December 17, 2005

I give Ready three stars I am very please with the staff. I have a kindergarten and sixth grader who attends. Mrs Kelley is an excellent kindergarten teacher her teaching methods are wonder and the kids are very eager excited to learn. Mrs Brenner is also an excellent teacher my daughter is very please.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 5% 4%

• Mrs Christine Brenner
Fax number
  • (219) 838-4237

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now