Eldon Ready Elementary School 4

Posted May 07, 2014
We have been really happy with our kid's first year of school-- we'd read some bad reviews on here and been a bit nervous, but our kid has had a really good experience both socially and educationally so far. The kindergarten teacher sends home a newsletter every week, and she and the librarian have both given our kid special attention according to his interests--and at almost the end of kindergarten, he has gone from not reading at all to reading very well. I love that they have their extras like art and music. A few more fun events would be nice, and I do think a lot of needed discipline sometimes takes away from some class time, but not enough to be a big problem. We have been very pleased.

Eldon Ready Elementary School 5

Posted January 15, 2014
It saddens me to learn about the demise of Ready. I attended from the early to mid 80's. We came from blue-collared families with ninety percent of our fathers working in the steel mills. What I am proud to say is that many of Ready's alums are top professionals in their field....including doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, TV producers, and executives. Unfortunately, Ready's decline happened when the acceptance requirements at the Mansards were lowered (in the 80's, the Mansards WAS high class). With lower standards, you attract lower class individuals....and that's exactly what happened. Why should people moving across the state line change their attitude towards education or anything else? North Griffith as become an extension of the south side of Chicago. Do not blame the teachers, the principal, or the school system; you should first look into the mirror as ask, "How much have I invested into my child's education?" When was the last time you sat down and helped with homework, or what was your attitude towards your own education growing up? Odds are that attitude from then is rubbing off on your child now. I'm almost 40, and will remain a proud Ready Rocket!!!

Posted July 25, 2013
Ready is the worst school in griffith , the new principal is a joke she's never available to talk to about problems my son was having I had to go to the superintendent of schools .I had several problems with the teachers talking to my children like they've lost their minds. If you can please try wasworth school in griffith much better. Please due your research about this school cause ever since Mr Brown left and the new principal came this school has become a serious problem.

Posted June 15, 2013
This school is horrible. Every day my child comes home from a late bus (supposedly the bus breaks down every day according to the school, but not my 9-year -old), depressed by the way they treat her, and scared of what stupid stuff they are going to yell at her about. The lunches are so gross that my daughter brings a lunch every day. I loved the other school, beriger, for her and she likes it.

Posted August 26, 2012
The staff at Ready Elementary are very unprofessional and I believe prejudice. The staff lost my child registration packet. The second day of school my son 4th grade teacher complained about him, she even made faces to me like she was already frustrated. The 4th grade teacher don't know how to deal with the children, don't try to help when a child needs it but instead ask another child to help.I had to go to the school several times to put my son teacher in her place not to disrespect or yell at my son. The teachers spend more time disciplining the students than teaching. Ready always tries to hold a child back by keeping him or her in the same grade. Ready is a terrible school if you can put your child in another school please.

Posted August 20, 2012
FYI: It is against indiana state law to deny a child to participate in school filed trips due to the parents inability to pay. Last school year my daughter was prevented from going on the school field trip to the zoo due to the school unorganized record keeping, after investigation they found that i did pay for her to go on the trip and they were sorry for their mistake. My mother called the state board of education and was told whether i paid or not it was against the law for them to keep her from the trip. Also i was constantly being told my daughter needed more help and was falling behind so i paid $240 a month for retired teachers and substitute teachers to tutor my child and they stated what i knew all along that my child is right on target with her age group. Ready still stated that she needs to be kept behind so i transferred schools. Good Luck everyone

Eldon Ready Elementary School 3

Posted July 31, 2012
Ready Elementary serves a rougher area of Griffith, Indiana that includes the Mansards apartment complex, home to many transient families coming to Indiana from even rougher parts of Chicago. Considering the student population they must serve, and the family hardships these kids deal with, I feel the school does a good job of educating students in not only reading, writing, and arithmetic but citizenship and discipline, as well. A school is not just the people who work there and the students that attend; it is also a reflection of the community that feeds into it. IMHO, Ready does a good job given the hand it has been dealt. Teachers and administrators are concerned about the kids, not just that they move on to the next grade or pass ISTEPs but that they become responsible, hard-working, thoughtful individuals. What this school really needs is a more stable, concerned community to support it.

Posted July 23, 2012
This school is the worst! I moved here from the chicago's school system where I thought was bad, but have seen that it CAN get worst! These teachers spend more time disciplining kids instead of teaching them, then when their grades suffer they want to blame the kids. I am strongly convinced that these people are prejudice against minorities! It is so obvious! Please stay away from this school at all means necessary!

Posted July 19, 2012
What can I say? I am so happy we moved and I was able to get my children away from this school and into a more nurturing environment. My children were being bullied (by more than the other children, I suspect) and the school's response was to not inform the principal: "We don't like to get her involved with little stuff" I was refused a meeting with her. My oldest was in Ms McGuire's class for 4th grade-what a joke! This woman needs to stop teaching. My son had all d's and f's -no help was offered, even after I requested it. When he was at the new school, his teacher pulled me aside saying she received the grades from Ready and could not believe it was the same child! He was doing very well and was an a/b student. At the end of the year she told him "I don't know what was going on at the other school, but you are an excellent student and I was proud to have you in my class". I have also witnessed the bullying of another student by this teacher and the other 4th grade teacher, while on a field trip. I was horrified and the child was terrified of both teachers and came to me for protection-it was crazy! If you can avoid this school, by all means, do- it is not worth it

Posted January 18, 2011
dI just recently moved 3kmiles to indiana. Ive been trying to register my kids in "Ready" elementary and have encountered the worst and non professional staff at "Ready" elementary! They are very rude. I asked them for information and did not get it. And talking to other parents they have recieved the same treatment and now are transfering their kids to other schools. So parents beware.

Contact Information

1345 North Broad Street
Griffith, IN 46319

School website

Eldon Ready Elementary School
1345 North Broad Street, Griffith, IN  46319
Last modified Eldon Ready Elementary School is a public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eldon Ready Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews.