Posted March 21, 2015
Our children have been in the MCS family for two years. We have been very impressed by the range of topics that our children have been exposed to within those years. Art, sound work and reading, science, music, math, building independence through practical life jobs, and all while forming great friendships along the way. Most importantly, the MCS staff is completely invested in the Montessori process, experienced, caring and supportive.

Posted February 08, 2015
This is our first year with Montessori but I have truly seen great things from my first grader! We have a public school teacher in the family and we chose Montessori to allow our child to learn in a more autonomous environment and blossom at his own speed! Montessori has done just that! We love the things he is able to experience here and he is truly excelling!!! Thanks to all the great teachers and staff at MCS, you ROCK!!!

Posted February 04, 2015
My oldest son has been through the elementary three-year cycle and seeing how it all comes together in the third year is amazing! I feel this school has benefited my children by helping them develop their independence and decision making skills. This school has also helped them develop respect for themselves and others. It seems like this school cares about my children and teaching them the love of learning instead of just teaching them for a test. I would recommend this school to people who want to give their children the opportunity to excel.

Posted January 29, 2015
My child has been at MCS for 4 years (Pre-K to 1st). I was not familiar with the Montessori method, but have learned to appreciate the philosophy and its impact. Without delving deep into the philosophy (space constrained), two tenants that resonated with me were: child-centered orientation & hands-on learning. What does this mean? First, my son chooses what activity he works on the teacher serves as a guide/facilitator. He s not passively being told what to learn and when to learn it. Second, a math example - it s not rote memorization it entails manipulating beads so they physically experience how addition and subtraction work. To learn more about Montessori I d highly recommend Montessori Madness by Trevor Eissler. Sound like chaos? Surprisingly it is quite the opposite. Visit a class, and you ll be amazed at the calm, structured environment that is achieved through empowering kids. The MCS staff is top-notch, and I love the low student to teacher ratio (child s class of 25 has 3 full-time staff). Test results, which are downplayed in Montessori - are off the charts. My goal was a school that fostered a creative, independent learner. Mission accomplished.

Posted January 21, 2015
I LOVE this school!!! My son had 2 years of pre-school here. He is an early reader and Mrs. Martin and Mrs. Hand encouraged and developed him to further improve. Now he's in Kindergarten and already is at 5th grade reading level according to his teachers. I always get comments from strangers how adorable and sociable he is! So big THANKS MCS and all the staff! I will put him back to this school if ever we are in Hammond again!

Posted January 21, 2015
My son is enrolled in the toddler program, and he tells me everyday he has a good day. He talks about his friends in class, the activities they do, and has a great time. We plan to enroll our daughter in the fall as well.

Montessori Children's School 4

Posted January 21, 2015
This is my daughter's first year here. She is in kindergarten. The progress that she has made since she started at this school is amazing. She has been able to work and learn at her own pace. There is no boredom, once she has excelled at one job she is free to continue to the next one. She enjoys learning new things and all the children seem to be well behaved, nice and friendly. The hands-on learning tools offered at Montessori schools are great. I wish I had attended a school like this. I highly doubt that I will send her to public school anytime in the near future.

Posted January 21, 2015
MCS has been such a wonderful experience for my family. We are very limited in where to send our children for a great education in our area that MCS has been a lifesaver. What I love about the school is that the teachers are "on it". They take an interest in your children and their education. The Montessori methods are so appropriate to life skills and creating well rounded adults. We can't thank them enough for their role in our children's education.

Posted January 16, 2015
MCS is the best-kept secret in the Midwest! Our goal for our kids is a life-long love of learning. We ve been there since 2000, & that s exactly what has happened. What do I love best about this school? -Child-centered education philosophy & atmosphere. -An authentic community. The families at this school come from every walk of life: ethnic, religious, racial, economic, social. I love it that my kids' friends don't look exactly like them & don't have the same background. The experience is so much richer. -Multi-aged classes. I've had so many parents outside of MCS comment to me about this. "Your kids are so mature for their ages!" Not really. They have just learned how to interact with other people (children & adults). This is not just my experience. I hear this all the time from other MCS parents. -Test scores. Ask to see the score reports. You won't believe it. Students are scoring on average 2-4 grades above grade level! Is it perfect? No. Is it the very best possible education experience I can imagine for my children? Absolutely! Call the school to ask for a tour. Spend some time in the classrooms. Go to the science fair. You will be blown away by what you see.
5 people found this helpful

Posted November 22, 2011
I enrolled my son in this year and I must say that I already see a difference! I love there learning methods and it makes me feel great to see my son enjoy school but the staff is RUDE! Its seems very unorganized and they pick and choose what parents that they want to be involved. I d even go as far to say that if your not apart of donating money or apart or a certain age group the staff really doesn t want to be contacted! It is unfortunate that now I see that the school is like a business and they really sell you a dream when you do your tour but its all about money. There attitudes are terrible and I am considering putting my son in a catholic school next year because of this at least I know he will still be receiving a great education but with people who care!

Montessori Children's School
5935 Hohman Avenue, Hammond, IN  46320
Last modified Montessori Children's School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Montessori Children's School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top