Allen J Warren Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 302 students

Warren Elementary School strives to educate the whole child.

Sweep tile

Posted September 10, 2013

I really feel like Mr. Boylan is absolutely 110% committed to his students, and their education! I am very excited about this school year as well as the following years to come for my son!

Posted September 3, 2013

I absolutely LOVE this school and so does my 3rd grader! I was a bit concerned at 1st considering she was going to be a new student this year! When I first went to the school to sign her up I immediately did NOT like the secretary, she was rude, mean, didn't seem to know anything about the school, she even told my 7 year old who was already nervous that she would have to figure out where her bus was because she needs to learn responsibility. We were mortified, and I almost considered sending her to a different school. So I waited a few weeks and decided to call the principle, the most pleasant cheerful voice answered the phone...A NEW SECRETARY!!! She talked to me about my concerns and answered so many questions! I was relieved! (as was my daughter!) We are now on the 3rd week of school and everyday it is something new! How amazing her teacher is (Ms. Dekker!) how cool her principle is, and also all the office staff!! She is learning so much and I couldn't be happier! She loves it here I go on her teachers website every day to check grades and homework (which is always updated!), when I have questions I email her teacher and have a response that day! This is an amazing place!!!

Posted October 28, 2012

I received an email asking what I thought of the school. I think the school is on it's way to being one of the best schools. The first thing that has been a plus to the school is the removal of the librarian. What a difference it makes that my children come home to say positive things about reading instead of negative things. The next problem that needs work on is that Secretary in the office. The emotional behaviors that parents and students encounter with the secretary is not good. When you choose to be a teacher you need to love kids and teaching. When you become a secretary you must have customer service skills to deal with the public in a professional manner. I agree with the post below, and one thing this school doesn't need are any more bad scores. Does the Secretary have something on someone in upper management? If not, bring in more professional employees that enjoy their job and/or invest in customer service training. It'll do the school good. Otherwise, great school, great teachers and 100%x better with the new Librarian.

Posted October 25, 2012

Teachers are professional as is the principal. If only the secretary and music teacher were on watch. They project their unhappiness on the kids, and it shows in the atmosphere. If they 1. do not like kids then get out and 2. if they can not dress and act professionally on a daily basis, again, leave. They are hindering the school's rating.

Posted June 25, 2012

Was so excited for the kids when I found out they are getting a new Librarian. Kudos to whoever finally stepped up and did what was right for this school. I've decided to rate the school high and probably higher then ever because of this decision. Thank You Thank You Thank You - - let's hope you find someone who will care about these kids. After all - - readers are leaders! :)

Posted January 30, 2012

While reading about "our" school, the one issue that should be addressed is the Librarian. When I read the review about "our" Librarian I was concerned because I thought I was the only one that saw how uncompassionate she is towards the children. They are children and should enjoy going to the Library, they should enjoy reading and shouldn't have to be under so much "hostility" from the Librarian. I can tell you that I have witnessed this type of behavior. I believe that if she has issues in her life that are negatively impacting the way she treats our children then the issues need to be addressed. She puts a bad taste in the mouths of parents and children by being so rude and disrespectful. What the school needs is Undercover Boss . I can tell you that the teachers would be graded with an A+, my child loves 1st Grade and my feeling is most if not all of the kids love their class. As parents, we love the teachers too, the office staff would get a D or below and the Librarian would get an F. As a Principal you have the power to change this, please do so, then you ll receive you re A+.

Posted January 28, 2012

I have had many interactions at this school, and I can tell you that many of the poor posts are due to the office staff, not the teachers. The teachers give their best, but when the office staff is rude, they cannot do anything about it. I can tell you that if you have a problem, go straight to the school board.

Posted March 23, 2011

I moved from Munster, and the experience education wise is great. The teachers are friendly, and so are other students. The lunch is ok, but pizza is horrid. The school could use an update and there's carpet on the wall. Hello the 80's called they want their carpet back. Anyway the principal does nothing to support anti-bullying yet we must say our "Bullying Rules" every Friday . i suggest Southridge instead. Sorry!!

Posted January 3, 2011

This is our first year in the Highland Schools (Warren Elementary) and I can not be more displeased.... I have a pit in my stomach everytime I send my child off to school. Don't get me wrong, I love his teacher; however, everybody else there is very unwelcoming and uncooperative. It is an extremely tough situation to be in when I am afraid of calling or even going to the school because I don't know what I am going to be yelled at for next. I can't not wait to get him out of there and into a private school next year. The tuition will be more than worth it.

Posted September 30, 2010

Just move here from Munster. The school system is very unorganized. I live right across from one, but my kids were transfered to another school an the other side of Highland due to not have have space for them. On the day of orientation the receptionist was rude and told me that the door I came in from was the door for students that rode on the bus, when I asked for a supply list she told me to HOLD ON, and something about me not knowing how to use the computer. One of my children has ADHD and the support system from the teacher, principal and even the school bus driver are unacceptable. Not willing to work with the parents, they just want to wash off their hands and want no part of it. My children will not return to the school next year!!!

Posted August 20, 2010

Moved here from mid-Michigan and It has been wonderful so far. Highland Indiana is absolutely the best city to live in in the mid- west and Warren Elementary is top notch the security is excellent and the staff sincerely cares about the kids.

Posted August 3, 2010

I had interactions with the second grade staff at Warren Elementary last year and was inpressed with their professionalism and enthusiasm for teaching. The teachers were also caring and respectful to the children. I am happy to have such wonderful role models at Warren. Keep it up!!

Posted May 25, 2010

I so disappointed in this school organization. They lack the ability to ernestly address concerns and view parents as outsiders. There is a lack of collaboration and the mere request for information is viewed as offensive immediately. I taught my child to verbalize when someone hurts his feelings, when he approaches the teacher he is dismissed. when he tell the teacher someone is bothering him, it goes uninvestigated and ignored, when he asked to be reassigned to a new area he is refused. The teacher uses negative words to describe students, such as, "lazy". He is in an emotionally abusive environment and administration refuses to address anything. Matter of fact I believe it is acceptable.

Posted May 16, 2010

I am very dissatisfied and unfortunately I can't write all that I would like to say. Leadership, encouragement, and trust is poor.

Posted April 17, 2010

This was my son's second year and he will not return (4th gr). I am not pleased at all. You will get 90% of your information from your child (who may not have the facts straight--testing/assignments/projects, etc--if they forget/misunderstand --F). If your child is creative and doesn't fit in the teachers' box of curriculum/teaching style --oh well- F. Did not get a very supportive /partnering attitude from staff.

Posted December 8, 2009

This is my sons first year at Warren and I am not impressed so far they are not through at all. Im supposed to go to this christmas program and they have not given any information to the parents as to where it is I have to get all of the information from my child who is six years old and he does not always get the facts right. They are also very rude dont show up 2 minutes after the kids let out of school or you will get chewed out!!!!!

Posted September 8, 2009

Well, I've moved here to Highland for a change not only for myself but for my children. Although I wished that both my 8 & 10 year old couldve attended the same school (Johnston), because I've heard great things about it, I will see what Warren has to offer my daughter. Although this year I too attend college and at this time I cant be 'as involved' as I usually can be, so far I have not had any problems with Warren, so we shall see.

Posted June 16, 2009

This was my first year at Warren and as a new parent I was not pleased at all with the way I was treated. I was told that my children coming to this school district would be wonderful. All I can say is that maybe the staff at Warren should get some personality lessons from the staff at Merkley because they were wonderful!

Posted May 2, 2009

The whole year my son has gone here we have only had negative experiences. My child will not return to the Highland school system.

Posted November 4, 2008

Warren is a fantastic school. My kids are thriving here and most of that is due to the terrific teaching staff. They encourage the kids to want to perform to the best of their abilities - it's a great thing to see! I am very pleased with my children's progress and with Warren overall.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 4% 4%

Special education 6%N/A14%
English learners 10%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Riley Care and Share School (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 2:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr James Boylan
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (219) 922-5674

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

Performing arts
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School colors
  • Green, Yellow
School mascot
  • Wolverine

Visit

Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Highland Middle School