Indianapolis, IN

Homecroft Elementary School 3

Posted August 19, 2015
Good points about this school: Nice neighborhood feel, teachers are generally good, lots of diversity if that's important to you. Bad points: Classrooms in some grades are way too crowded. My daughter had 31 students with no aide in her first grade classroom. But what I dislike the most about this school (though this is probably more of a MSD Perry Township issue) are the math and reading programs they use. Both are complete jokes, and not very funny ones. Expect lots of tears (some your own) over math every night unless you can afford to pay for a tutor to pay to teach real math. The reading teachers have a special hatred for phonics and instead teach some whole language garbage. Again, expect to spend many evenings teaching your children to read in a logical way instead of the way they're trying to teach in class.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted August 19, 2015
Like most schools these days, Homecroft tends to treat all students like perpetual 2-year-olds who can't possibly be responsible for even the smallest amount of their own safety or well-being.

Homecroft Elementary School 5

Posted July 29, 2015
We have four children, and all of them have gone to Homecroft. I can't say enough good things about our experience there. The staff is caring and fun, with many of them spending many hours of their own time doing extra things to build community and help the schools. They are great at helping gifted students as well as students who struggle. Our two older ones were very prepared for middle school, doing well with both grades and test scores - and this is true of many of their classmates from Homecroft as well. The staff is also great at helping students who need a little extra help. We have a number of children at Homecroft who are not native English speakers, and it is a delight to see them grow in their skills and confidence. That brings up one other thing that we value about Homecroft. It truly is a diverse school, both ethnically and socio-economically. I am grateful for the opportunity for our children to interact with peers from a variety of different backgrounds, forming friendships and learning from each other. I must mention that I glanced at some other reviews and saw that there were a few negative comments. Complaints are important - that's how we all learn what we need to work on. But there are also a lot of folks who have had great experiences, and those people generally don't take time to write in. I'm a perfect example - this is the ninth year we have had at least one child at Homecroft, and I am only now making a comment! Disclaimer - I do not work for the school or the district. I'm just writing this because I am grateful for all that the folks at Homecroft have done for our kids and the other students.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 29, 2015
Our kids have had quite a few different teachers at Homecroft, and we have never had one that we were unhappy with. We are very grateful for the care and support that our children have received from everyone there.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted July 29, 2015
I don't feel strongly about this. Some years I have felt that our kids have occasionally had some homework that was more "busy work" than meaningful homework. But that doesn't happen too often and isn't a big deal.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 29, 2015
The school makes a major emphasis on character, offering both rewards and praise for good behavior and appropriate consequences for bad behavior.

Posted March 20, 2015
I feel since first day of school alot of the staff walk around with bad attitudes or speak to the children poorly. My child in a kindergardner and I came to see him for lunch a few times and have randomly dropped by a few times and I observe how the staff interact with the children and when someone is watching they are great but when no one is watching they speak to the children in negative tones yell and make demands I was not happy with this at all. There are also 30+ children per class and it is very easy for children to get distracted and that makes it also hard for them to learn. Front desk ladies always have an attitude when you ask a question. My childs teacher how ever is great and she does work well with him and keeps us informed on his progress. The bus driver also is very rude, overall I am not satisfied with this school, the test scores for the students are low and when I asked why the front desk woman informed me that it was "because of the students". We are moving so thank goodness for that, we are looking forward to placing our child in Douglas Mcaurther and hopefully will have a better expeirance there.

Homecroft Elementary School 1

Posted December 10, 2014
My daughter started out at Henry Burkhart at the beginning of the school year, and got transferred here. She's disabled. This school just throws her in the special education class, that does multiplication... in 2nd grade! She was in a regular class at Burkhart learning how to count money. This is a child that struggled with her basic math, that made a D on her report card. Bukhart was getting her grades raised, I bet Homecroft wont beable to do that. Homecroft wont do all the hard work Burkhart did!!! They totally ignored her IEP I brought in the same day I enrolled her! I really don't feel they care about my daughter at all. She hates this school, as so do I!

Posted October 13, 2014
My son comes home complaining how much he doesn't want to go to school. He says whenever he tries to keep another student out of trouble for breaking the rules he gets in trouble and his citizens grade goes down. His first day there another student attacked him leaving scratches and bruises and nothing was done or reported about it. Get a better teacher student policy.

Posted May 28, 2014
The staff goes above and beyond for the love of their students. The administration is ok. They say they care but they only care about scores. They arent very unorganized. Not sure why, but there are a unusually high number of male teachers. If your kid does well with men, this is your school.

1551 Southview Drive, Indianapolis, IN  46227
Last modified Homecroft Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Homecroft Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top