Bad
Good

I do not believe in their education teaching system they do not have books.they do not bring home or have any homework. Homework is maybe once a month only in one class. teachers are supposed to put assignments and things that they learned for that day on a teacher blog and only a few of them do that. If you are concerned on what's going on in your child's education you have to be the one to contact the teacher if there is any problems at All. I have only had a few teachers in the past few years that seem to really care. They have a no bulling policy which is a joke.kids are afraid to use it or tell because nothing happens to the bullies. My daughter has been verbally abused physically abused pushed kicked and even spit on on the bus. And the most that happened the child that spit on her got kicked off the bus for a few days. I would not send another child to this school. I feel like they no not get them prepared at all for high school. I have worked in 6 different schools and this one is the worst I've experienced

I love my principal at SMS. There are some teachers that I hate their teaching style. I pove how we have so many fundraisers. Student of the Month and Cougar Extra Effort Award is sponsored by Texas Roadhouse. The deans are hands on with bullying problems. The counsellers try their best to help. The teachers are absolutely amazing. Go to this school. There are amazing students here too.

Parents are not provided opportunities to be involved. Bullying is rampant, classes are chaotic and fighting occurs on the regular. I have had to make extraordinary efforts to communicate with teachers as they do not reach out to parents at all. After a year at this school, my daughter could not tell me who the school principal was. That is a serious disconnect. If you have any alternative choice of school, I would recommend you avoid this one for your child's emotional well-being.

I am a parent of a student at SMS. I have not had a good experience with this school. I recommend going to a different school if you are choosing between multiple schools. The teachers are absent a lot. I do not feel that the teachers are concerned about providing an education. If a student doesn't start out ahead, they will have problems at this school. There is no room for improvement. You are bad or good. It is hard to dig yourself out of a hole. My child makes good grades, but some of the teachers do not like my child. My child can't do anything to please some of the teachers.

i am a past student at Southport and its a wonderful school Ive met some of the best people you can find the teachers are nice the students are great and the school is magnifecent I'm very happy i chose to attend the school and if i was still in middle school id go back

Our family has had a wonderful experience at SMS. There are many helpful teachers and staff who all seem very involved in each child's abilities to achieve in all areas of life, not just academics. We have superior music programs, sports programs, after school academic offerings - it's nearly limitless! My children have a difficult time selecting what they want to take for after school programs! I know it isn't a perfect school, none are, but as of this writing, we've had a very positive experience with the school, teachers and staff. I would recommend SMS over other area schools - despite our socioeconomically varied student body, SMS seems to have good student/teacher ratios and is striving to help each child become their best! I love the dress code, too. What a difference it makes. Improvements? Parent involvement is terrible - not the fault of the school though! Involvement is key!

Last modified Southport Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.