Bad
Good

Hate the way this school deals with headlice they don't deal with it at all I'm tired of my girls coming home with it and I get them out and clean from wall to wall and they come back home with lice the students should be checked and sent home If they have them and checked before they can go back to the classroom

Very upset with the falling education and test scores. I have two daughters who have graduated High School and at the time SES was a very good school.Now I have a 5th and 2nd grader and I am not happy with the education they are receiving. My 5th grader is doing OK his ISTEP scores were at and above average but I still feel he is not getting the learning he needs to understand certain curriculmns. My 2nd grader on the other hand struggles daily, I have been complaining about his reading skills and math skills since kindergarten. I feel every teacher has blown me off, they say oh he's doing fine then come back to me saying well he is struggling.They did away with the reading program and told me it wasn't in the budget yet some kids stayed after class because of poor reading skills,I was never offered this option. Because we are now a school with a high population of Chin families, I feel there are kids being left behinde due to the language barrier with these kids and the parents. I see alot of focus on them because the parents can not read or speak english.My son complained the Chin kids don't receive the same amount of homework as he does,this was confirmed by a PTA parent,etc.

As a SES parent, I am extremely impressed with not only the staff, but also the student and parent involvement. The lines of communication are always open, the availability of challenging academic opportunities and extracurricular activities is fantastic and the quality of the staff is unsurpassed. Great job Southport!

Last modified Southport Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.