Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Southport High School 3

Posted March 08, 2015
I believe that this school has a great policy for fighting "one and done" automatically expelled which cuts down on the violence. Bullying however seems to still have impact on a lot of students. I wish they had a strict policy for it as well. Many of the students get bullied on the daily. Their sports teams are amazing. Clubs are good too. Wish they had a drama Club for all the students that was involved and would like to be involved in theater. I have reached out to several of the teachers when my daughter was having some issues with her grades. they are very considerate and helpful. The support by some of the counselors is great as well. My daughter is a freshman, and for the most part enjoys school

Southport High School 2

Posted December 07, 2013
I've been at SHS for a year now. Some of the teachers here really seem to care about how well you do and others do not care at all. This school to me mainly cares about it appearance to others than it does its students and education. They spend thousands for this new construction but can't afford enough books for every student to have or decent food. I went to Beech Grove up till the end of my sophomore year I absolutely loved it there and I even attended Perry Meridian and I'd say both schools are better than SHS.

Posted December 01, 2013
I will say that if you don't have money or your not one of the popular students here then the teachers don't like you. This school is another Manual high school except they discriminate.

Southport High School 4

Posted August 07, 2013
I'm a senior at SHS and have been here since freshman year. I won't say this school is perfect but there are definitely opportunities here to go beyond. I don't know what it's like to be in 'normal' classes as I have been on the AP/advanced/IDEA track all four years, but the advanced or gifted and talented classes are really good. And when I say good I mean thought-provoking, difficult, and worthwhile. They take hard work but it has been worth it. I know that I am well prepared for the college search process and really just college in general. And the teachers I have had here are really wonderful, not to mention all of the opportunities there are for extracurricular activities. I must admit that not everyone who goes here is as academic-minded as I am but it is a public school. And if you do well in classes, get involved in some extracurriculars, and do your best, you 'll find there are many like-minded people you will make friends with.

Southport High School 4

Posted August 05, 2013
I graduated from Southport in 2013 and I loved all four years. There is an individualized approach to learning and the faculty goes out of their way to help every students needs. There is something for everyone at Southport. As far as academics go, Southport has a wide variety of AP and Advanced courses available. Socially, there is a great deal of diversity which teaches students social values and tolerance for other cultures. Southport is everything you could look for in a public school; great academics, clubs and sports ranging from football to robotics, amazing faculty, and a wonderful community.

Southport High School 2

Posted July 08, 2013
I graduated in 2009 from Southport, and I do not recommend any parent send their child to this school. As a parent myself now, I don't want my daughter going to SHS when she is older. The school focuses far too heavily on sports and doesn't care about the more important things. Most of the teachers I had or knew did not care about their students. I did have a few great teachers that made me want to learn, but they have all retired now. On several occasions, a couple of my teachers would come in hung over and late. Doesn't set the bar very high for the students if their "mentors" come in and put on a video so they can sleep at their desks.

Posted February 21, 2013
I think this school supports athletes and if you are not popular then you cannot make it through. Plus if your child wants to succeed then you still have the trouble makers around you. And my child had his glasses broken twice since he has been there. No one had done anything, because they are either afraid or intimidated of the other student. They have an anti bullying rule, but no one ever does anything about it. Let's face it I had high hopes, but this school is another Manual High School.

Southport High School 5

Posted November 19, 2012
I graduated from this school last year. Compared to most high schools, this place really isn't that bad. They've got a principal now that really cares about the students. She's slowly turning the school around. As far as academic programs, I feel that they could be tougher. But overall, this is a decent school and one that does not deserve 2/10, hands down.

Posted June 27, 2012
I am currently a student at SHS and I can say i looked forward to going to school here, and after two years of being here I can honestly say I'm counting down the days till I'm out. Some teachers care about their students other teachers act like they could care less if we just put our head down a went to sleep. The football and basketball player are treated like kings. And half of them never had the grades to play but the coaches always found a way to cover it up. Half the athletes that graduate shouldn't of even graduated but not only do they graduate , but they get college scholarships. The school is all polictics

Posted March 25, 2012
I have one son that has graduated and one that is currently attending. I have found perry schools at the elementary level great. The 6th grade academies are ok, as well as the middle school. Then watch out because then comes high school. The staff is not about the kids oblye about the rules being followed. The students cannot chafe classes as it is too much. To much what?.? Hugh universities let students change their classes in a drop/add session. They have a silly rule that if you are never tardy you can drop a test final. It's ok to be absent- just not tardy. My son has had to miss the entire day instead of going in late because he doesn't want to give up his chance to get out of a final. There is something backwards about this idea. How about the best grades get you out of the final or if you don't miss more than 3 days/ or tardies. I have heard that kids carry weapons. We have a 3 star level. That is comparable to ips schools. All the townships around us have 6-9 stars. Why us there such a change from the middle school to high school? I know our population may account for some test scores discrepancies but the next closest school is 3 stars higher.

Southport High School
971 East Banta Road, Indianapolis, IN  46227
Last modified Southport High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.