Warren Central High School

Public | 9-12 | 3589 students

We are best known for educational and career pathways

Sweep tile

Posted October 4, 2013

my school is a top rated school & everyone should come check it out because it is so good

Posted February 26, 2011

This school has many teachers who don't seem to understand what a teacher should do, and everyone seems to do what they want, and not in a good way. Kids talking about drugs here and there, pregnant girls over there, some other kids fighting. Not much at this school for success. Only way to try and achieve success is to ignore everyone around you.

Posted September 21, 2009

5- Warren Central has great parent participation. Almost all extra-curricular activities have their own parent booster organization dedicated to the success of the program. Warren Central also has a PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association.

Posted March 25, 2009

Warren Central allows students to achieve the most out of their academic career.

Posted September 13, 2008

I currently attend the school, and they are cracking down on students, which is fine with me because I don't want the school to be looking bad. We have the best sports teams, and speech time. The PAC center, and WCC is excellent. I take a engineering class, and its a college course class. Its amazing. The more your involved in this school, the better you are, because you don't want to be just another face in the crowd. I love all my teachers, there hard working and they do a pretty good job.

Posted May 27, 2008

I am greatly disappointed with this school. More money is spent on appearance and sports than education. When I first moved to the Indianapolis area I situated myself in Warren Township so that my son would be able to attend. That was 12yrs ago and boy am I not impressed. It appears that the counselors and teachers are more self-concerned than concerned about the students unless they are some all-star or sports player. Although I pay to rent books, there are some they are never allowed to bring home. My child is as we speak studying for finals with just his notes. I don't know that this book I paid to rent even ever existed. I left a message for my son's counselor regarding his schedule for next school year over 2 months ago and I'm still waiting for a callback. The school is too big, split it up.

Posted August 5, 2005

As a parent of one who has graduated and one who is a senior this year, I can honestly say that is is one of the best schools in the Marion county metro area. The teachers and staff are very helpful and have answered all my questions with respect. The choir and orchastra departments are both excellent. My daughter credits the teachers there with giving her the work ethic needed for Ball State which she is now into her junior year for a criminaligist degree. I hope this review has been of help and that your experiences are as fulfilling as my children were.

Posted December 27, 2004

Any parent out there with a daughter going to Warren Central, please be aware! Your daughter may be in harms way with no one there that can help her- let's say no one will help her. No matter how many times you or her go to the principal, it does not matter. They will say it is the girl's fault even if the boy admits or is caught on tape. The security and discipline in this school is..well, lets say there is none. I tried calling several times to get involved to get help with this- a situation that is spinning out of control. Do your research, you will find,as I did, the lawsuits for this very samething. Protect your child! Get involved! I am sorry to say it is for this reason, after 15 years we are moving out of this district!

Posted October 24, 2004

I am very disappointed in Warren Central. I graduated from there myself and moved back to the district so that my child could attend Warren. I believe I made a serious mistake in doing that. The younger teachers try to inspire all the students but the rest simply lable them and treat them according to their lables. Most of the administrators try, but they are so fixated on maintaining what they feel is necessary for discipline (and many of the rules are trivial and unnecessary) that they don't manage to accomplish real discipline. I truly believe that I made a real mistake in returning to the district and am working to rectify that error. The district still does a very good job at the elementary level.

Posted June 10, 2004

'Dub-C' is a great school. Maybe not the best, but it's still pretty awesome. The principle is one of the best principles I've every had. He's funny, has great leadership, and is fully involved with the 3,500 students that attend WCHS. The teachers are pretty good and seem to be quite knowledgeable. As for the facilities...STATE-OF-THE-ART. They have a huge, new Freshman Academy that separates the new-comers from the upper-classmen. Not to mention the Freshmen have their own cafeteria, office, and totally cool fieldhouse. Simply said, the Freshmen are spoiled. WCHS also has a Walker Career Center and Performing Arts Center(WCC&PAC). This helps the students take real life preparing courses and the best thing, it's not just for students. Classes like Denrtal Assisting and Engineering Design are avaliable for adults,too. The only downfall to Warren is their security and parent involvement. I also think the school should be year-round.

Posted June 10, 2004

I think that Warren is an excellent school, and offers many opportunities not only to the students but for adults as well, through the Carrer center. My only complaint is why is the tuition so high for a public school? And can they come up with a better reason for the cost besides being out of the district? I would like my son to attend this next fall, he has already signed up for his classes, and did better this past year then he did at the private school he attended the past three years. I told him I would get him there no matter what but honestly, I have not a clue, as to how I am going to do it. if anyone out there has an answer, about any of this I would like to hear from you. B. Coilch

Posted June 6, 2004

This is a great school district. Warren Central High School boasts a top-notch performing arts center, a brand-new Freshman Academy, and excellence in academics and athletics. Part of what makes it such a great school is the racial and ethnic diversity that is so prominent; it really helps teach students the importance of respect towards those who are different than them. A school with such diversity better represents and introduces students to the real world that they will face in the future at college and in their jobs. The chance that a WCHS student will get the best education possible is extremely great at Warren Central. Great facilities, professional and exceptional educators, and a diverse range of respectful and intelligent students make Warren Central High School one of the best in Indiana, if not the entire United States.

Posted February 20, 2004

As a graduate of Warren, and someone who was very involved, I know a lot about how the school works. As with any school, it has its problems, but I have to say that overall, I truly enjoyed my time at Warren. I encountered some excellent teachers, and made lasting friendships. Most of the teachers are serious about preparing their students for college, and they do whatever they can to help. Being a certified band geek, this is where I tell you that the band program is wonderful! I learned a lot about music and life, and am now a music major at Ball State. And one last thing, Principal Burchett is a wonderful, wonderful man. He's very friendly and a truly elegant speaker. I heard many fine words from that man, from the events of 9/11 to inspiration for the graduating class. Warren is a good school, and I would encourage anyone to attend it.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 9, 2003

My children are afraid of negative repercussions if I comment on the school. Suffice to say, I am extremely unhappy with the performance of the entire administration at Warren Central High School.

Posted August 19, 2003

Warren Central is a great school. Mr. Burchett is such a wonderful principal. Mr. Burchett, as well as other staff enjoy helping students and keeping the school safe. Students that attend Warren Central can be guranteed a good learning experience.
—Submitted by a former student

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

725 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

868 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

876 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "F".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

District
State

SAT participation

Average SAT score

931

Graduation rate

87.2%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A46%
Special education 15%N/A14%
English learners 5%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Creston Middle School
Stonybrook Middle School
Raymond Park Middle School
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• 7:20 a.m.
School end time
  • 2:50 p.m.
  • Mr Richard Shepler
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number

High school

Finding the right school

9500 East 16th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46229

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download