School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Greenbriar Elementary School, an International Baccalaureate World School, is located in the Metropolitan School District of Washington Township (MSDWT), and is situated in the northern section of Indianapolis, Indiana and Marion County. It is a dynamic community with broad diversity in cultures, religions, ethnic groups, races and socioeconomic levels. MSDWT has been an educational leader in Indiana for the last forty years. We hope that beyond this website, you will visit the MSD of Washington Township website at http://www.msdwt.k12.in.us/ where you can also access the Greenbriar Elementary School website, and every website of each of our seven elementary schools, three middle schools, and North Central High School. Beyond our websites, we invite you to plan a visit to any one of our schools, and see firsthand why Washington Township schools are superior schools, in a supportive community. Greenbriar Elementary School offers a comprehensive educational curriculum with special activities and programs geared to provide enrichment, exploration, and instructional support for students. Greenbriar is also proud to provide excellent opportunities for students to participate in outstanding performing arts, fine arts, academic teams, publications, athletics, and other student activities. Very valuable to the administration, is the role that parents have always played in the operations of our school through a very supportive Parent Teacher Organizations (PTO). All Greenbriar students move through one of our district s three middle schools, and eventually to the MSDWT flagship high school, North Central. North Central High School has the finest high school curriculum in the State of Indiana. It annually produces the highest number of students taking Advanced Placement exams and scoring high enough to earn college credits. North Central High School was the first high school in Indiana to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma program. The high school also offers programs that allow students to earn the North Central Academic Honor Diploma and the Indiana Academic Honors Diploma. North Central High School also has the distinction of being Indiana s number two high school in the number of Indiana athletic championships. The MSDWT provides quality education in award winning schools built on a foundation of outstanding educators, administrators, school board members, and supportive parents. Our vision is Superior Schools in a Supportive Community. Come and experience excellence in education, today in our school district.
December 30, 2014

Bad
Good

Posted November 10, 2015
I had a negative view of things in the beginning becuase this wasn't the school of choice and because of some issues that occured with a teacher. One issue I threatened to have it broadcasted on the news and have someone unemployed so that was taken care of that same day. The other issue was because the teacher refused to give my child the grade that was earned but instead given the grade the teacher said was "average" for children at this point. For my child's best interest I decided to be the better person and not react the way some would expect. Instead I make sure that my child takes that extra 10 minutes to study and that I as a parent take the extra time to support my child's education. My child makes mostly A's and a couple of B's in the beginning of the year and usually all A's by the end. Other than that one teacher and the receptionist at the front desk that was rude at the beginning but has now learned that I'm going to be there at the school one way or another at least once a week whether she likes it or not everyone else has been great.....but you always have 1 or 2. I think that receptionist pushes parents away from visiting or volunteering. They offer many afterschool activities lead by the staff that the majority of schools don't. The new assistant principle has implemented new programs such as Dress for Success, Tie Thursday, and a program to help our young men. My thoughts aboout this school has changed since the beginning and I couldn't think of another school that I would want my child to attend. I know things have changed over time but we have to remember that we as parents are our childs first and best teacher. The teachers teach all 20 to 28 kids in the class what they can during the short period of time they have with them but we as parents need to take some responsibiltiy for our children's education. I try to make it a partnership with my child's teacher.

Greenbriar Elementary School 4

Posted January 05, 2015
We are a highly rigorous school district that provides learning opportunities for all abilities and ages.

Posted January 05, 2015
Greenbriar is a great school school in a supportive community. The Greenbriar staff embraces the diverse learners that they serve. They provide excellent educational programming for all students; however, with more state funding, they could provide even more opportunities for students beyond the traditional school day.

Posted January 05, 2015
The Greenbriar teachers and administrators work harder than any other group of people I know. They come in early and stay late to ensure that their instruction is differentiated for all learners in their classrooms. They have had high growth on ISTEP the last few years, and the students know where they need to work. The administration and teachers communicate with parents on a regular basis through newsletters and phone calls. Students are involved in inquiry based learning and fully engaged in their units of study. I'm proud of what is happening at Greenbriar!

Posted January 05, 2015
Greenbriar is part of Washington Township Schools located in Indianapolis, IN. Washington Township has been a standard bearer for excellence in education throughout the state of Indiana for decades. Students are challenged academically, nurtured socially, and supported by dedicated and committed staff. Parents of the Washington Township community along with community leaders have provided over $4million to support innovation in the classroom through the Washington Township Schools Foundation. Washington Township is dedicated to the education of the whole child. All students in grades K-10 are provided a second language learning experience. Opportunities for students to experience leadership and community service are embedded in the culture of this diverse and exceptional district.

Posted January 02, 2015
Outstanding staff with supportive parents that creates a wonderful learning environment for students! Washington Township Schools are one of few public school districts in the nation offering International Baccalaureate (IB) to all students in all schools!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted December 30, 2014

Greenbriar Elementary School 4

Posted August 29, 2014
Fantastic staff and administration. The principal and the new assistant principal make a great team! Things are changing and communication is improving everyday! The diversity in this building, along with the new IB curriculum offers an amazing opportunity for students to really learn and grow!

Greenbriar Elementary School 2

Posted July 01, 2014
Greenbriar is a decent school. Great teachers (mostly, not all). TERRIBLE leadership. The current principal is absolutely awful. Despite the decent teachers the principal is running that school to the ground. I have pulled my child from this school, not because of his wonderful teacher but because of the ridiculously bad leadership. Worst. Principal. Ever. Do you know how many teachers and assistants have left that school in the last 2 years since she became principal? Over 50! The staff there knows better than to stay and so do I.

Greenbriar Elementary School 3

Posted June 18, 2014
I must admit I have a certain profound interest in greenbriar. I am currently a literacy interventionist in An IPS school. Our school has had an A rating four some years now, and I am growing out of my position. I went to greenbriar growing up in the eighties, and then it was majority white affluent students. I loved that school, even though being raised by a single mom in those days raised much gossip about my brother and I. Is it still an open concept? Anyway, I am disappointed to hear that so many are having such concerns about the leadership, and further the cultural competency of the school. Worse is the academic grade of a C. I've got my heart set on leading that school one day, and I hope it comes true, because it deserves better. Two years...

Greenbriar Elementary School
8201 Ditch Road, Indianapolis, IN  46260
Last modified Greenbriar Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.