Posted April 26, 2013
John Strange is an excellent program. I am STUNNED to read the negative comments, which leads me to believe there are unrealistic expectations. We send our child to this school from another township as per the county rules. She enjoys the school, the teachers and has made great relationships. We visit the school on a regular basis to meet with teachers, principal and staff. They are open and available to us frequently. We discuss our child's growth and educational value. We are always welcomed. The current principal is very good and has met with us to discuss our child's future. Each teacher our child has had has gone out of their way to discuss any concern with us. I also am at the school on a frequent basis to help with PTO, clubs, etc. and have never seen any teacher have an issue with a student. Teachers need to be firm and establish boundaries to maintain order. If anything, I expected to see teachers being too lax, but that is NOT the case here. To see a rating of 3/10 on there is unbelievable. We have a second child that we will want to send to John Strange as well.

John Strange Elementary School 2

Posted March 04, 2013
I have been at this School for five years. Sorry to say but nothing really stands out as exceptional. I have seen snap shots of Teacher/student interaction and wasn't impressed with approach. Almost bully like. I have seen this approach in the lunch room and other areas of interaction with the kids- I have been involved with the internal workings & PTO as well and find these areas lacking as well. The School puts up a good front and talks a good game but doesn't follow through. Allisonville will be my families School next year.

John Strange Elementary School 1

Posted September 12, 2012
This school is horrible. I give this school no stars. This is my first year at this school due to moving to this district and I am already to move to another location just to run from this school. This school has no organizational structure. The principal and assistant principal are incompetent. They have terrible communication skills internal and externally. It is very clear that there sole purpose in those position is just to collect paychecks and nothing further. They show no care or concern in the development of there students and that is no way to operate a successfully school.

Posted March 09, 2012
Sounds to me as if the previous poster has an ax to grind. This Tiger Mom Watches All (as much as possible), so of COURSE I visited the school IMMEDIATELY to inspect ALL proceedings, check for crumbs, etc.. D came from a very fine preschool (of COURSE) so Tiger Mom has been all ready to push academically. Impressed and pleased. Organized, happy place with lots of learning going on! Plans fit into carefully designed curricula that have helped my D grow very quickly but comfortably. My D has Spanish (try to find THAT when so many districts have cut language) and piano lessons (extra offering) at school. We are happy about the IB program as that is a 21st century reality. Pleased with the after school program as well (of COURSE Tiger Mom has inspected). Parents tell me that the older kids always have their homework done--Tiger Mom nods in wise appreciation. Fully expecting D to have 7 or 8 advanced degrees. Appreciate J.S. in getting her on her way. Tiger Moms remain ready to pounce (of COURSE), but this Tiger Mom is flicking her tail contentedly (though watchfully, ALWAYS watchfully) at the moment.

Posted May 31, 2011
I'm happy with the John Strange school system on many levels. I believe as a parent you can find needed improvements with anything involving your child, especially the school they attend. Communicating with the teachers and staff, volunteering in the classroom and at events, and actively working with your child on homework are all key to making your child's school fit with your expectations.

John Strange Elementary School 1

Posted December 02, 2010
I can say thank goodness our son will be attending Allisonville elementary next year. John strange seems to be geared towards below average students. There is no daily progress to help parents to stay in tune with their childs progress. There was also a situation of student on student violence and the staff and principal were more concerned with damage control than the safety of the children...tried to sweep things under the rug instead of being transparent and informative with the parents.

Posted May 03, 2010
John Strange Elementary Is very dedicated to addressing any concearns myself or my daughter's teacher has, educationally, or behaviorally. It is a very positive atmosphere. They always offer afterschool, enrichment activities.

Posted November 13, 2009
John Strange is a good school and we have been pleased with our experience. We had the opportunity to enroll our oldest child in the gifted and talented program within the school district, which meant changing to another school. We like the quality of education and think our children are receiving a great education at John Strange so did not change schools. The teachers we have had experience with are always willing to meet with parents and are very capable and caring individuals. Most bring years of experience to the classroom and have either been with the school and or district for some time. I also like that the school as a diverse population. I would recommend this school, and have, to anyone who lives in MSDWT.

Posted March 23, 2009
John Strange is a great school. I'd like to see one find a better tuition free school! Often times when a child comes from a private school setting to a more traditional one the transition is hard. I know this from experience. The older the child is when the transition occurs sometimes the harder it is. This school has a melting pot of students and a very good amount of parental participation. This school and MSDWT is geared towards students excelling in academics as well as achieving character values. Teachers are great! My children love it and so do I!

Posted January 16, 2009
Not a good school! No progress, seems to be geared towards the under average student. Look at data....it keeps getting worse. Concentration on bad behavior, language barriers, teachers are having a hard time because of focus on hard to handle situations. Average student pushed aside. New principal, has not done anything to bring about change. This school is trying, but failing.

John Strange Elementary School
3660 East 62nd Street, Indianapolis, IN  46220
Last modified John Strange Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Strange Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.