Indianapolis, IN

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

John Strange Elementary School, an International Baccalaureate World School, is located in the Metropolitan School District of Washington Township (MSDWT), and is situated in the northern section of Indianapolis, Indiana and Marion County. It is a dynamic community with broad diversity in cultures, religions, ethnic groups, races and socioeconomic levels. MSDWT has been an educational leader in Indiana for the last forty years. We hope that beyond this website, you will visit the MSD of Washington Township website at http://www.msdwt.k12.in.us/ where you can also access the John Strange Elementary School website, and every website of each of our seven elementary schools, three middle schools, and North Central High School. Beyond our websites, we invite you to plan a visit to any one of our schools, and see firsthand why Washington Township schools are superior schools, in a supportive community. John Strange Elementary School offers a comprehensive educational curriculum with special activities and programs geared to provide enrichment, exploration, and instructional support for students. John Strange is also proud to provide excellent opportunities for students to participate in outstanding performing arts, fine arts, academic teams, publications, athletics, and other student activities. Very valuable to the administration, is the role that parents have always played in the operations of our school through a very supportive Parent Teacher Organizations (PTO). All John Strange students move through one of our district s three middle schools, and eventually to the MSDWT flagship high school, North Central. North Central High School has the finest high school curriculum in the State of Indiana. It annually produces the highest number of students taking Advanced Placement exams and scoring high enough to earn college credits. North Central High School was the first high school in Indiana to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma program. The high school also offers programs that allow students to earn the North Central Academic Honor Diploma and the Indiana Academic Honors Diploma. North Central High School also has the distinction of being Indiana s number two high school in the number of Indiana athletic championships. The MSDWT provides quality education in award winning schools built on a foundation of outstanding educators, administrators, school board members, and supportive parents. Our vision is Superior Schools in a Supportive Community. Come and experience excellence in education, today in our school district.
December 30, 2014

John Strange Elementary School 1

Posted May 12, 2015
I wish I never sent my child here for kindergarten. Before school started, she was so excited to start going to school. After a couple of months that changed completely. She started crying about how she didn't want to go, and would beg me to let her stay home. I later found out she was being bullied. I tried talking to her teacher about this, but that man, who is incompetence incarnate, was no help. Once when I came in to talk to him he just ran away from me! I tried calling him on the phone, and must have left a dozen messages over a few weeks time and was never called back. I finally went to the school to talk to someone about this, and the attitude I got from the women at the front desk did it. I tried to tell them about the teacher not calling me back and was basically told that was my problem. I tried to talk to someone else and was unsuccessful, so I just then and there took my child out of that so called school. There was no excuse in how I was treated, and especially in how my daughter was treated. She was bullied and they refused to do anything about it. That is unforgivable to me. Do not send your children here, they deserve far better then what this "school" provides.

John Strange Elementary School 4

Posted January 05, 2015
We are a highly rigorous school district that provides learning opportunities for all abilities and ages.

Posted January 05, 2015
John Strange has a great feel right when you walk in the door! The administration is very welcoming and the teachers are extremely enthusiastic. Students love going to school and participating in all of the fun activities. Their positive behavior supports and plans are wonderful. The administration does a wonderful job getting to know each and every student and ensuring that they are growing academically and socially.

Posted January 05, 2015
John Strange is a great school school in a supportive community. The John Strange staff embraces the diverse learners that they serve. They provide excellent educational programming for all students; however, with more state funding, they could provide even more opportunities for students beyond the traditional school day.

Posted January 05, 2015
ohn Strange is part of Washington Township Schools located in Indianapolis, IN. Washington Township has been a standard bearer for excellence in education throughout the state of Indiana for decades. Students are challenged academically, nurtured socially, and supported by dedicated and committed staff. Parents of the Washington Township community along with community leaders have provided over $4million to support innovation in the classroom through the Washington Township Schools Foundation. Washington Township is dedicated to the education of the whole child. All students in grades K-10 are provided a second language learning experience. Opportunities for students to experience leadership and community service are embedded in the culture of this diverse and exceptional district.

Posted January 02, 2015
Outstanding staff with supportive parents that creates a wonderful learning environment for students! Washington Township Schools are one of few public school districts in the nation offering International Baccalaureate (IB) to all students in all schools!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted December 30, 2014

Posted April 26, 2013
John Strange is an excellent program. I am STUNNED to read the negative comments, which leads me to believe there are unrealistic expectations. We send our child to this school from another township as per the county rules. She enjoys the school, the teachers and has made great relationships. We visit the school on a regular basis to meet with teachers, principal and staff. They are open and available to us frequently. We discuss our child's growth and educational value. We are always welcomed. The current principal is very good and has met with us to discuss our child's future. Each teacher our child has had has gone out of their way to discuss any concern with us. I also am at the school on a frequent basis to help with PTO, clubs, etc. and have never seen any teacher have an issue with a student. Teachers need to be firm and establish boundaries to maintain order. If anything, I expected to see teachers being too lax, but that is NOT the case here. To see a rating of 3/10 on there is unbelievable. We have a second child that we will want to send to John Strange as well.

John Strange Elementary School 2

Posted March 04, 2013
I have been at this School for five years. Sorry to say but nothing really stands out as exceptional. I have seen snap shots of Teacher/student interaction and wasn't impressed with approach. Almost bully like. I have seen this approach in the lunch room and other areas of interaction with the kids- I have been involved with the internal workings & PTO as well and find these areas lacking as well. The School puts up a good front and talks a good game but doesn't follow through. Allisonville will be my families School next year.

John Strange Elementary School 1

Posted September 12, 2012
This school is horrible. I give this school no stars. This is my first year at this school due to moving to this district and I am already to move to another location just to run from this school. This school has no organizational structure. The principal and assistant principal are incompetent. They have terrible communication skills internal and externally. It is very clear that there sole purpose in those position is just to collect paychecks and nothing further. They show no care or concern in the development of there students and that is no way to operate a successfully school.

John Strange Elementary School
3660 East 62nd Street, Indianapolis, IN  46220
Last modified John Strange Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Strange Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top