Indianapolis, IN

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for viewing Spring Mill's page on the GreatSchools website! We are proud to be an International Baccalaureate World School and an Ashoka Changemaker School. If you are looking for a school with a strong sense of community, a welcoming and caring atmosphere, a world-class rigorous academic program, quality instruction tailored to the strengths and needs of students, strong student achievement data, solid partnerships between families and staff, tremendous parent involvement, a well rounded creative arts and wellness curriculum, Spanish instruction, experiences for service learning and action, and an outstanding group of educators, then Spring Mill is worth a view! Do visit us and peek into our world! You'll understand why I think it's a pretty special place for kids! I look forward to meeting you and your family soon.
January 05, 2015

Spring Mill Elementary School 1

Posted April 27, 2015
My husband and wanted to move our child into a Washington Township school. The start of his 4th grade year he started Springmill Elementary. From the first day we had problems and the school failed to make a good impression. The front office staff are rude and make parents feel unwelcomed. This year my child's teacher made a racist comment toward him and other students of color. When I approached her about it she lied and called my child liar. The principal also called my child a liar until the other students came forward and confirmed what was said. However, that situation was swept under the rug and my son has been a target for behavioral issues since filing the complaint. A lot of the staff members come across prejudice, and culturally insensitive. Diversity training is needed for many staff members at this school. I wouldn't recommend anyone send their children to this school. Your concerns will be ignored and the principal is biased when issues arise concerning the teachers.

Posted January 10, 2015
We have two high achieving students at Spring Mill. Spring Mill teachers do a great job challenging our children. They are accessible and responsive whenever we have questions/concerns. We are impressed by the teachers' abilities to meet the individual needs of a very diverse student population. We have no doubt our kids are getting a first class education, while also developing empathy for cultures, families, students, situations that are different than ours. We LOVE the IB curriculum and the way that Spring Mill focuses on the IB Attitudes. The principal is outstanding. When she speaks to the students in a convocation, she communicates such important ideas to the students in ways that they can understand. Our kids love all the specials - art, music, Spanish, gym, library - and those teachers are dedicated and outstanding, too. Finally, we appreciate the involvement and commitment of the Parent Teacher Organization. There are some really awesome people who are helping ensure the school has the resources it needs to meet the needs of the students. Thank you, Spring Mill! We are so pleased to part of this special community.

Posted January 09, 2015
We have had children at Spring Mill since 2008, and we have been extremely pleased with our experience. The teachers and staff go above and beyond to provide an excellent learning environment for each and every child. We feel that our son, who is now in middle school, was academically and emotionally well ahead of his peers. Overall, Spring Mill provides a great education in a community and family-oriented environment.

Posted January 08, 2015
Spring Mill is a highly diverse school community focused on developing the unique skills and strengths of each child. It is a true community where children, parents, and staff work together in an atmosphere of high expectations and solid core values. Teaching and leadership at Spring Mill are focused and skillful. The school climate is nurturing, accepting, and highly aligned with the core values of the school district and the International Baccalaureate program. It is a great place for children and families.

Posted January 07, 2015
We've been very happy at Spring Mill. There is a wonderful sense of community among the students, staff and parents. The teachers and administration work hard to make sure the students' needs (academic, emotional, physical and material) are met. I love the inquiry based curriculum because our kids are challenged to actually think and not just regurgitate information. This school is a hidden gem in Indianapolis!

Posted January 06, 2015
In our neighborhood, we are fortunate to have many choices for schools including some very reputable private schools. As a parent, I investigated every option prior to deciding to send my child to Spring Mill. I was and continue to be impressed with the sense of community that exists in the school, the engaged and passionate teachers, the tremendous administrative leadership (just go meet the principal!), the quality of the education and the diversity the school offers. The school has achieved several accolades and awards including many grants which speaks to the high-quality education it provides. Additional, the Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) is very active. For example, in 2014 the PTO funded the playgrounds make-over, upgrades, and enhancements which really make outdoor play and learning enjoyable for all. I look forward to sending my other children to SMS!

Posted January 06, 2015
I feel so fortunate that my children had the opportunity to attend Spring Mill for several years. The entire staff goes above and beyond to provide the best education and care for all students. The principal is an incredible educator and leader and I have so much respect and admiration for her. Spring Mill really did exceed all of my expectations in every way.

Posted January 05, 2015
Spring Mill has an amazing teaching staff and wonderful families. We're thrilled to be part of this community!

Posted January 05, 2015
Spring Mill Elementary School has some of the most dedicated and talented teachers in Indianapolis. The PTO is one of the most involved organizations I have seen. The parents and teachers make quite a team to provide the best educational experience for the children.

Posted January 05, 2015
Spring Mill is a fabulous learning environment for our children. They encourage well-rounded children with a focus on being good citizens in addition to good students. We believe in the International Baccalaureate program and are so proud for Spring Mill to be recognized as an Ashoka Changemaker school. We value the strong academic focus coupled with an emphasis on diversity and being globally focused at the elementary level. Spring Mill is truly the right school for anyone who is excited about raising children who will be well prepared to compete in a changing global world.

Spring Mill Elementary School
8250 Spring Mill Road, Indianapolis, IN  46260
Last modified Spring Mill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spring Mill Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top