Posted October 05, 2013
I'm disappointed that 'Great Schools' are failing to adapt to the changing times education. Spring Mill has a GS rating of 4/10. For the record - I am Matt Self - parent of 3 at the school - teacher / administrator in Indianapolis but from the UK. I also spent 5 years at the International School while they completed their IB World School process. The rating system within Great Schools does not reflect the change in educational philosophy of the IB PYP program. Using Indiana test scores and ratings to 'value' an IB school is somewhat like saying a car is valued because it goes fast - regardless of direction or fuel economy. We, those who value Spring Mill and the move to IB aren't bothered if our kids can't name all 50 state capitals, or all the presidents in order. IB demands higher order thinking skills and conceptual understanding. Rote learning will not help future generations compete with the vast acceleration in educational quality in China / India etc. The true test is our kids ability to think creatively and out of the box - to innovate and be flexible to rapid global change. Spring Mill is also diverse - what a joy. Like the the rest of the planet. Great school. Matt

Posted October 04, 2013
The specials teachers, particularly in Physical Education, Art and Music, are outstanding and provide unmatched exposure and challenge to students. A school motto is "Physical Education and the Arts for Life" and students benefit.

Spring Mill Elementary School 3

Posted September 13, 2012
Spring Mill has been a good option for our family. I do wish the front office was friendlier and more welcoming, but the teachers do a great job at reaching out to parents and communicating regularly. The PTO is strong and the new IB curriculum seems to be going well, though at times it seems like a lot of worksheet work. We love that we attend and support our neighborhood school and keep a close eye to ensure our children's needs are met.

Spring Mill Elementary School 1

Posted November 28, 2010
After having heard very high reviews of this school I was very disappointed with the disrespect and lack of leadership shown by the principle. My daughter just entered kindergarten and I find it to be ridiculous that when attempting to communicate my daughter's needs to the principle my concerns were ignored and disregarded. This is a shame considering the many great and wonderful teachers in this school really attempting to make a difference in children's lives whom I feel are not receiving adequate support from the leadership. Knowing the former principle of this school, who was wonderful, it is a shame to see what the school has dwindled down too academically and in their support of teachers and students.

Posted May 27, 2009
I was co-president of the PTO this year. My son went to SM from 1st to 5th grade (his last day today), and I am so sorry to see him leave the school. It is a wonderful school, the teachers are fantastic, and the principal is awesome.

Posted April 29, 2008
Both of my daughters have gone to Spring Mill, and I couldn't be happier with the results. They're happy, they loved the experience, and was sad when she hadto leave Spring Mill to go to middle school.

Spring Mill Elementary School 3

Posted September 12, 2006
- a staff

Posted March 11, 2005
As a parent involved with my son's school, I feel that SME has an excellent academic program. My son's teacher encourages him to succeed and is available for him if he has a problem. She also communicates any problems or issues that come to her attention. SME offers diversity and numerous after school programs. I strongly recommend this school for anyone moving into the area.

Spring Mill Elementary School
8250 Spring Mill Road, Indianapolis, IN  46260
Last modified Spring Mill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spring Mill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews.