Indianapolis, IN
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Westlane Middle School, located in the Metropolitan School District of Washington Township (MSDWT), is situated in the northern section of Indianapolis, Indiana and Marion County. It is a dynamic community with broad diversity in cultures, religions, ethnic groups, races and socioeconomic levels. MSDWT has been an educational leader in Indiana for the last forty years. We hope that beyond this website, you will visit the Washington Township website at http://www.msdwt.k12.in.us/ where you can also access the Westlane Middle School website, and every website of each of our seven elementary schools, three middle schools, and North Central High School. Beyond our websites, we hope that you will plan a visit to any one of our schools, and see first hand why Washington Township are superior schools, in a supportive community. Westlane Middle School offers a comprehensive educational curriculum with special activities and programs geared to provide enrichment, exploration, and instructional support for students. Parents have always played an active role in the operations of the district and each school in Washington Township furnishes a Parent Center to accommodate parents visiting the school. MSDWT's flagship high school, North Central High School, has the finest high school curriculum in the State of Indiana. It annually produces the highest number of students taking Advanced Placement exams and scoring high enough to earn college credits. North Central High School was the first high school in Indiana to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma program. The high school also offers programs that allow students to earn the North Central Academic Honor Diploma and the Indiana Academic Honors Diploma. MSDWT provides excellent opportunities for students to participate in outstanding performing arts, fine arts, academic teams, publications, athletics, and other student activities. North Central High School has the distinction of being Indiana s number two high school in the number of Indiana athletic championships. The MSDWT provides quality education in award winning schools built on a foundation of outstanding educators, administrators, school board members, and supportive parents. Our vision is Superior Schools in a Supportive Community. Come and experience tomorrow today in our school district.
December 15, 2014

Posted November 18, 2014
My daughter attended Westlane. She was able to excel academically (with a fabulously challenging honors program) and be highly engaged in their arts program and women's show choir. It really prepared her for a successful high school experience. This is a great school for kids who want to excel and parents who value diversity.

Westlane Middle School 1

Posted April 28, 2014
Westlane Middle School does not have the resources to support special needs students who are very high functioning. My son is in eighth grade and in all honors classes. There are 30 or more kids in every class, and the teachers are too overwhelmed to give him the time and extra support that he needs to be successful. In addition very little effort has been put forth to establish a relationship with him that would help foster his performance in the classroom. The teachers expect him to take more responsibility simply because it is honors classes. We have worked unsuccessfully with his resource teacher to provide him with the tools he needs. There has been very little communication with several of his regular classroom teachers. A couple of them have not even answered emails. As a former educator it is unbelievable to me that a teacher would allow a child to fail a class without even an attempt to communicate with a parent.

Posted March 11, 2014
We came to Westlane from a small, pre-dominantly white, "exclusive" private school. I am sorry we ever wasted time elsewhere as Westlane has been the answer to prayer. The education is sufficiently challenging in an environment where good choices and appropriate behavior are the expectation and the rule. The administration and teachers get results! Our child is happier than ever and thriving academically.
3 people found this helpful

Westlane Middle School 4

Posted October 09, 2012
Westlane has grown every year since my child started. We have had wonderful teachers with the exception of one this year. She has been teaching to long and I feel that she needs to go. The principal is overwhelmed but does the best she can. The school needs attention from the township and some updates to the building. Good school over all.

Posted October 02, 2012
I am a teacher at Westlane and I love working here. My fellow staff members are energetic and excited about their jobs. They love kids and go the extra mile to make sure every student is receiving the best education possible. My family lives out of district but I think I am going to have my child go through Westlane because I feel so confident about what is happening here.

Posted October 14, 2009
Westlane is a very creative school and i'm happy i've been there for my years of middle school!

Westlane Middle School 2

Posted April 15, 2009

Westlane Middle School 4

Posted April 06, 2009
It's an awesome school! I'm happy to be a student there! The teachers are great at helping me out! It's does have some downers though.

Posted March 12, 2009
Westlane is unique in many ways, the teachers are all special and usually knowledgeable in their field.

Westlane Middle School 0

Posted October 01, 2008
very nice good.facilities are great

Westlane Middle School
1301 West 73rd Street, Indianapolis, IN  46260
Last modified Westlane Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westlane Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top