Bad
Good

Prior to this year, I would've rated this school 5 stars - due to the excellent staff and their commitment to children who struggle. This year...communication sucks! The only opportunity we've had to meet the teachers is a basketball game, where the teachers were playing. That is not the best environment to communicate about grades, behavior, expectations, etc! Parent teacher conferences have been canceled since they meet with us at case conference committees. It is not acceptable to finally meet teachers halfway through the school year! No progress reports, no warnings on failing grades, no daily communication chart like we've always had before. The past few years have been terrific! Daily communication and opportunities to be involved. But the wonderful principal that was there has been replaced. I don't know if the problems this year are due to the new principal or if it's due to Wayne Township (as I see things falling apart across the school system, not just here). I'm thankful that we have a charter program in Indiana, and I will be spending fall break learning what my alternative options are. I cant get my kid out of this school fast enough!!

While we were hesitant to send our son due to critics, my husband and I can't thank the staff enough. The first year was tough for our son but after 4 years, he has really developed and matured. Our son's improvement is based on all of the adults working and communicating. HE still needs to work on emotional intelligence, however, we are in a better place because of Sanders.

DO NOT send your autistic child to this school. They have a room with a 10-12" thick metal door and a small room. They will lock your child inside. They do not work with the students. They treat them like prisoners and if they don't comply, they are "forced" and manhandled. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL! They DO NOT work with parents. They just send your child here because they don't want to spend the extra money helping or educating your child!

Sanders is an "alternative" school for students who require additional services that the other schools may not be able to provide. I have heard it referred to as the "Bad Kids School", but this is very misleading and unfair. While there are some students at Sanders that are there because they've been expelled from other schools, that is not the case for all students. The teachers at Sanders work extremely hard to provide a safe environment and to tailor the class work and lessons to the needs and abilities of the students. Breakfast is provided free every morning, and there is a huge focus on character building. The teachers seem to really know how to build rapport with the kids so they can gain their respect without being condescending or controlling. The staff are also very supportive and can be an excellent resource for parents.

Last modified Sanders School is a Public school that serves grades PK-12