St. Christopher School

Private | PK-6 | 185 students

SCS is known for our Catholic identity, academic excellence, and community.

Living in Indianapolis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $87,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Sweep tile

Posted July 23, 2010

St. Christopher School is a Blue Ribbon School and my four kids have received the highest quality religious education that we always hoped for our kids. Kids deserve to be in a safe learning environment, being taught by high quality educators who care deeply about the kids, and that is what you get at St. Christopher School.

Posted June 16, 2010

This was a great choice for our daughter this year. It was a pleasure listening to her in the evening and hear what she learned each day. With the time I volunteered and met all the teachers within the school, I am very pleased with them and look forward to sending her back there in the Fall.

Posted June 1, 2010

My son was lucky and able to attend St. Christopher School for his kindergarten year. I feel he has received a great start in his education through his wonderful teachers and the staff members who have taught him so much. He is a very well rounded young man and I thank St. Christopher School for that. I loved to hear the staff greet him as he walked through the doors in the morning. It is a small "family-like" school where everyone knows each student and their families. Not only did my son have his friends in his class, but I was amazed at how many of the older students knew him and socialized with him. That says something about this school, it truly is an extension of our family. Not only did we have a great experience with our child as a student but also as parents.

Posted May 10, 2010

St. Christopher is an amazing school. They take in our children and nurture them. I could not imagine I kids going to any other school.

Posted May 5, 2010

This is our first year at St. Christopher's. My son is in Kindergarten. He gets a lot of one on one attention, which he needs to excel. He is already reading, which I was amazed since he had no interest a year ago. We are very pleased with St. Christopher's and all of the staff is very friendly. Dawn Voegele

Posted April 28, 2010

I have 2 children that attend St. Christopher and I also attended St. Christopher. I am very impressed with the personal attention and well rounded education my daughters are receiving.

Posted April 19, 2010

St. Christopher School is a wonderful place! It is small enough that every teacher knows every student by name. The student's are expected to excel academically, spiritually and socially. There is a wonderful diversity and each child is nurtured in an environment of discipline and structure.

Posted April 14, 2010

I am a parent of a 5th and 6th grader at St. Christopher School. My oldest started in kindergarten in 2003 and over the last 7 years, I have been thoroughly pleased with all aspects of the school, including the staff, parents, quality of education, class size, religious foundation, opportunities for voluteering, and most importantly, the safety and well-being of my children while at school. My oldest spent the first 3 years at St. Chris dealing with heath issues that required the staff's attentiveness and compassion. They absolutely met my expectations and went out of their way to ensure that my child's needs were met, both physically and emotionally. For that, I will be forever grateful. St. Chris provides an academic environment that challenges the students at all levels, while maintaining and fostering a nurturing and spiritual atmosphere. The entire school community is an extension of our family!

Posted April 9, 2010

The education my children have received at St. Christopher School deserves an excellent, 5 star rating! I am not only a parent, but a teacher at this wonderful school. I drive 30-35 minutes each day to bring my children with me because I believe in the quality academics and the Catholic Christian beliefs that are taught there. The environment is warm and welcoming, and we are very much a part of a school family! The parental involvement and support combined with a dedicated and superior faculty and staff make this school the best of the best. It is truly an outstanding place for your child to grow academically and spiritually! I am so proud to be able to give my own children the gift of a great elementary foundation that they will build on for the rest of their lives.

Posted February 18, 2010

It jsut feels like family there, you get the sense that everyone there really cares about what they do and love what they do. I wouldn't consider sending my kids anywhere else.

Posted February 17, 2010

St. Chris cares. The parish, administration, teachers, parents, and students care about the school and quality of eduction for our pre-K through 6th graders. One of the most telling facts is that each of my children is known by all of the school staff. A great result of this is the mission and Catholic values being instilled at all levels.

Posted February 3, 2010

Wonderful, dedicated teachers and staff. Educational and spiritual atmosphere. You'll feel like family at St. Chris. We couldn't ask for anything more!

Posted January 21, 2010

For us, it was never a question. Sending our boys to St. Christopher School provides the consistency of message we were looking for in passing our Catholic values to our children. They see their classmates at church, in Scouts, and in the neighborhood too. Mass participation gives students the opportunity to work on public speaking in addition to faith development. St. Christopher provides a nurturing environment of faith, as well as an excellent education. Active parent volunteers provide a community that builds lasting friendships and support with people who worship together, while making the school and its activities more affordable to a greater part of the parish. The parish and the school really are part of our extended family.

Posted January 19, 2010

As a parent of a student at St. Chris I am very pleased with the educatin they have been exposed to. I fell there is a strong family involvment and the teachers provide a exceptional teaching method. The small classes account for a lot of that. I fell that that waht St. Chris has offered will allow my childern to excel into more as they continue their education.

Posted January 18, 2010

As a parent and a teacher, I can t help but compare the quality of education my children have received and continue to receive at St. Christopher School with the school district I work in. Both have excellent curriculum, hard-working faculty and high expectations set for students. However on 9/11/2001 the difference became apparent. Parents at my school were scrambling to pick up their children and hurry home. My fears were eased when I called St. Christopher School to find that the students were gathered in the church to pray. The difference is Faith and St. Christopher School reinforces the importance of our Catholic Faith for their students very well.

Posted January 12, 2010

St. Christopher exemplifies everything we want for our children in a Catholic school. The staff are incredibly caring and teaching methods are excellent. The commitment to high standards combined with a loving and caring environment is the ideal setting for our children.

Posted January 11, 2010

My triplet boys have been at St Christopher since they were in kindergarten, they are now in 3rd grade. We took one semester off to experience the public school in our area, although a great, highly rated school system we could not wait to get them back to St. Christopher. We found that the family environment, the excellent teaching skills, and the love and support at St. Christopher could not be found elsewhere. The staff is exceptional and the curriculum is excellent.

Posted January 11, 2010

St. Christopher is a place where are all welcome. The staff make it their job to know the students and provide the right learning environment for our children. Our students are taught by some of the best teachers around. We love St. Christopher!! High standards are set and achieved at St. Christopher!!

Posted January 11, 2010

Having grown up in a small Indiana town, I worried that my children would miss out on all the benefits because of living in a large metropolitan area. St. Christopher offers the best of both worlds! The classes are small, the faculty know each child and the entire family very well, and academics is at the forefront. I am confident that St. Christopher School is going to help make my children as well rounded and confident as they can be.

Posted January 10, 2010

My husband and I chose St. Christopher for our oldest daughter when she was in kindergarten many years ago. We sent our other children there as well and when our oldest was in 5th grade we were relocated overseas for 5 years! We kept in touch with the principal and teachers while we were gone because they weren't just our kids teachers they were family! When we moved back to the U.S. we came back to St. Christopher School even though we are closer to another catholic school! We love this school and feel like it's the best place for our children to learn and grow in their faith.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

White 1 72% 74%

Special education 0%N/AN/A
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/AN/A
Source: Manually entered by school official

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Blue Ribbon School

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:00 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:00 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs Ronda Swartz
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • dguenin@saintchristopherparish.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (317) 244-6678

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Differentiation based on student needs
  • Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • RTI (Response to Intervention)
  • Remediation
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Music
  • Band
  • Instrumental music lessons

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Academic Team

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Financial aid offered
Tax credits
Application fee

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Cardinal Ritter Jr./Sr. High School
Speedway Jr./Sr. High School
Avon Schools

5335 West 16th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46224

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download