St. Christopher School

Private | PK-6 | 185 students

SCS is known for our Catholic identity, academic excellence, and community.

Living in Indianapolis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $87,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Sweep tile

Posted November 24, 2012

Our experience with St. Christopher has been wonderful!! I can't say enough good things about this school. It has far exceeded our expectations. Our daughter's teacher is just so great with the kids and you can tell she truly cares about each and every child. We have been so impressed with the school and faculty. Being new to the school, we weren't quite sure what to expect and everyone has welcomed us with open arms. I would definitely recommend St. Christopher if you're looking for a great school that focuses on teaching and living the Catholic faith. We are so happy with our decision to go with St. Christopher and so is our daughter. She loves going to school!

Posted September 13, 2012

So far our experience has been superb! Our daughter just entered PreK and everyone has been so helpful in getting her adjusted to her new surroundings. Also, great at answering all of my first-time Mom questions.

Posted September 4, 2012

As a teacher and a parent, I am glad we made the choice to send our daughter to St. Christopher School. The financial sacrifice we make to send her there will be worth it in the long run of her life. I see daily the values, great education and Catholic identity that she is receiving. I feel blessed to have her as this school and look forward to many years here.

Posted August 26, 2012

St Christopher is the best choice for a well rounded education in a school filled with compassion, care, concern and overall a great educational opportunity. I had chosen this school for my children based on word of mouth. But also because they are the second generation in our family attending this school. I will say that some of the teachers that my children are having also taught my husband and brother in law. It was in part another reason why I chose this education route for my children. I want to say as a relatively new parent to St. Christopher's I have felt very welcomed into what is a family atmosphere. Parent involvement is wanted and requested. This is good for the students and the overall school family feeling. All that work in this environment are top NOTCH! The principal and administrative staff to the maintenance team and of course the awesome team of teachers all take the kids and support them emotionally not to mention help them grow into smart and moral young people. I am proud to say that my kids are students at this school. If you want the best of the best for your children..This is the school for your family!

Posted April 21, 2012

St. Christopher is an excellent school. The teachers are not only good instructors, they care about the children. We are very pleased with the high quality education our child is receiving.

Posted March 14, 2012

As a parent and a public high school teacher I realize the importance of a strong elementary educational experience, and feel confident that my children are being prepared better at St. Christopher than they would have been at their public school. The teachers are committed to preparing our students for more than just a test score, but to be critical thinkers, good citizens, and positive role models. Choosing St. Christopher was the best decision I have made for my children and I would recommend St. Christopher to any parent.

Posted December 8, 2011

No words can relate how happy I am with our decision to send our kids to St Christopher School. Every staff member... not just teachers but secretaries to housekeeping... is wonderful. I believe my kids are receiving a top-notch education. I think part of that comes from the expectations the teachers have for the students. I also think part of that is because the environment for learning is so strong. The students are very well behaved. There is a true sense of family. We are not well off like many of the families in our private school. But, I have never been made to feel any less welcome or any less significant. Every person with whom I've been acquainted with has just been really warm and friendly. We truly feel lucky to be able to send our kids to such a wonderful school.

Posted November 16, 2011

We chose St. Christopher because we were unsatisfied with the public school in our area and we could not be any happier with our decision. The teachers really care about the kids and want them to do well. As a volunteer, I am welcomed with open arms and appreciated. My daughter is thriving both academically and socially and absolutely loves her school!

Posted May 10, 2011

My son is in kindergarten and we Love it at St. Chris. Excellent teachers, sense of community and strong leadership. We hope to have our son complete all grades at St. Chris.

Posted May 9, 2011

We initially chose St. Chris after a glowing recommendation from a current parent. Because my husband and I were from a small town and products of a public education, we decided that we would only send our daughter to pre-k at St Chris. Well, our daughter is now in kindergarten and we have enrolled her yet again because we are positive that the education, spiritual growth and family atmosphere would not be found elsewhere. Our daughter truly says prayers of thanks nearly every night for being able to attend such a wonderful school. We are so pleased in every way with her development .

Posted April 28, 2011

St. Christopher was the perfect choice for our daughter this year. The school is small enough to have a real sense of community. The teachers, faculty, and other students all knew her after a very short time. She has recieved a great start to her education and has become a very well rounded young lady. We look forward to the rest of her years with St. Chris.

Posted April 27, 2011

We initially came to St. Chris because we wanted our son and daughter in the same school for Kindergarten and Pre-K before moving into the public school system. After we started attending the sense of community and parent support has convinced us to continue to make St. Chris our home. The teachers are amazing, the families are involved and it has a feeling of community that is hard to find now a days. We could not be happier.

Posted April 18, 2011

I thank my lucky stars each morning that my daughter attends St. Christopher School! We knew from the beginning that we wanted a Catholic school for our daughter. As we began researching schools prior to enrolling her in PreK, we were consistenly impressed with what St. Chris has to offer. She ADORES the faculty and staff; we are completely grateful for the phenomenal education they provide to our daughter! The curriculum is stellar, each member of the school is a member of the family (for example, after her first week at school, the older students and ALL members of the fac/staff knew her by name!) and the student that St. Chris "produces" is top-notch. We are always bowled over by their maturity and politeness. I HIGHLY recommend St. Christopher to anyone considering a private school education. There is no other school I would EVER consider for my daughter. I wish I could give them 10 stars instead of just 5!

Posted March 25, 2011

I currently have two children that attend St. Chris. Both absolutely love their little school. When I take them to public schools they thank me for sending them to St. Chris and not making them go to the big schools. What they don't know, is we are extremely happy with our choice. Our children are constantly challenged, and although their grades are good, the teachers see their potential and challenge them to do better. The teachers genuinly care about each student...I knew we were in the right place when my daughter was in kindergarten and was a little scared to attend aftercare after school (which is also a terrific program!!). She cried every day!! The kindergarten teacher noticed her distress and assigned two 6th grade girls to take her aside each day and stay with her until she was comfortable and willing to join the other students. Where else can you find that level of caring both at the teacher level and the "upper-class" level? The children are taught to be caring children through the actions of the staff at St. Chris. There is no other option for our children!!

Posted March 6, 2011

St. Christopher is a great school, and I'm thankful we have been able to be a part of it.

Posted August 4, 2010

Run!, don't walk to enroll your child at St. Christopher School. The principal, teachers,staff ,and priests are an extension of family. They know ( all of them) the students by name and welcome them to school each day. We have felt a sense of family and peace of mind when our boys are at school. Our boys have become self motivated and confident in their demeanor all because of the education received at St. Christopher School. A great place to live, learn , and pray!

Posted July 30, 2010

The best thing about St. Christopher School is the sense of community. I love that all the teachers know my son by name, even the ones who have not taught him yet. I love that I know all the students in his class and most of his parents. I feel so very fortunate that he is able to grow and learn in such a safe, nurturing, and loving environment. This is the most important reason we chose St. Christopher School for our family.

Posted July 30, 2010

St. Christopher School has been such an amazing part of our family''s life for many years. My boys attended prechool through sixth grade at this school. The staff feels like family. The excellent education they received has prepared them for Jr. High and Highschool. They have become such well rounded young men and I attribute much of that to the years they spent at St. Christopher School.

Posted July 28, 2010

I have had several children attend St. Christopher and what makes (made) it a great school for each of my children was the fact that each one of them was seen for his/her own strength and weaknesses. In addition, I never saw the teachers stagnate in their teaching ablilites. Each teacher had grown in their personal development as educators throughout the years. Finally St. Christopher is such a small school, I always felt a sense of community.

Posted July 27, 2010

The staff at St. Christopher School truly work in connection with the parents. What it taught at home is reinforced at school and vice versa. Every staff member has gone above and beyond for both of my kids. If there is a need all you have to do is let someone know and it's taken care of! We are a true family. My Son is a freshman at Cardinal Ritter now and he started at St. Chris as a preschooler. He and his group from St. Chris were well prepared for Jr. High and now High school because of our awesome staff at St. Chris. We set our standards higher in every facet of education and our students rise to the challenge. I've heard from others that our students are the most respectful they've ever seen.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

White 1 72% 74%

Special education 0%N/AN/A
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/AN/A
Source: Manually entered by school official

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Blue Ribbon School

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:00 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:00 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs Ronda Swartz
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • dguenin@saintchristopherparish.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (317) 244-6678

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Differentiation based on student needs
  • Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • RTI (Response to Intervention)
  • Remediation
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Music
  • Band
  • Instrumental music lessons

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Academic Team

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Financial aid offered
Tax credits
Application fee

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Cardinal Ritter Jr./Sr. High School
Speedway Jr./Sr. High School
Avon Schools

5335 West 16th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46224

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download