Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=8155+oaklandon+road,indianapolis,in+46236&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=b7uzrtvrnoltvumsuqrt1yvz6ig=

St. Simon the Apostle School

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

St. Simon the Apostle School 5484449 3

Posted March 16, 2014
I'm a middle school grade student at SSTA, and most of the school is great! One problem, though, a lot of students seem to be bullied, I don't mean like punch you in the mouth and mock you in front of that person, but like behind the back stuff. It just makes me mad that teachers won't do anything about it. Also, it seems that if I am myself, I'm not accepted, and I need to be an entirely different person, to be accepted, by teachers and students. It is sad to see our current principal leave, although I know many parents don't like his decisions, I think he was pretty good, despite the shoe and sock rules.

St. Simon the Apostle School 5343982 3

Posted March 13, 2014
Most of the teachers at this school are highly qualified and do a superb job. However , the administration has not done a good job of weeding out those teachers who are not competent. The middle school (7/8) Eng/lang. Arts dept. Is weak at best. This school went from excellent in every way to average in comparison with other Catholic/private schools. The principal has allowed this to happen under his watch. The climate of the school has changed radically from positive and Christ centered to pretentious and negative. The administration has been less than upfront about the decline in academics and chooses to gloss over the facts. The state rating has dropped this year which was not a surprise to parents who have been raising concerns for well over a year. The head administrator is leaving. We hope our school can recover and return to its former excellent self.

St. Simon the Apostle School 5350057 1

Posted March 02, 2014
Unfortunately, our school of many years has gone way down hill. Parents with money have much control, and those without so much money are unheard - even when serious problems abound. The school and parish have become very divided. Many problems exist, but administration has a way with words to appease some - but they are not fooling others. If they would just acknowledge that the concerns are valid, so much could be accomplished. They prefer to continue to act as though all concerns are unfounded and refuse to accept responsibility for the downhill decline over the past few years. Very sad situation.

St. Simon the Apostle School 5120344 2

Posted April 30, 2013
This school has gone from very good academically and spiritually to a very negative and academically deteriorating environment over the last 3 years. The administration is ineffective at best and their lack of vision and micromanagement has driven some of the quality teachers to leave and left others that remain unhappy and unfulfilled. Students are overworked, over stressed and frequently reprimanded and punished for extremely petty things. The mutual lack of respect and lack of trust between administrators, teachers, parents and students is destroying what was formerly a Christ-centered culture in the school. Most parents of middle school students are counting down the number of days that they have before there students get to escape to High School.

St. Simon the Apostle School 5090901 5

Posted April 01, 2013
I have three kids at the school and could not say enough positive remarks about their academic and spiritual growth. The 99% ISTEP passing rate illustrates that. Most kids who transfer into St. Simon at later grades are at least a year behind but do catch up. My kids love the school because they have obtained a great sense of achievement from working hard. As a parent, you must be willing to help your child with homework in the early grades. If you want an easy school this one is not for you. And yes, the student review below is correct; the teachers will punish your child if they misbehave. Sorry.

St. Simon the Apostle School 4749595 5

Posted February 28, 2012
I have a 4th grader and preschooler and couldn't be happier. The teachers have been very involved in the academic and social development of my children. Part of the reason we send our kids to a parochial school is for the discipline and we are fine with the strict uniform restrictions.

St. Simon the Apostle School 4472918 5

Posted March 01, 2011
Absolutely excellent school. I have a 6th, 3rd and 1st grader. We live in a neighborhood where most of the kids go to a very well respected township school and when I compare the knoweledge that my kids have over theirs it amazes me. The academics are tough, but well worth it. I know my kids will be very well rounded and enter into the transition of high school with ease. In addition to the excellent academics, the community and moral values that are being instilled into my children are impecible. We are truly blessed to have our children at this school and to be a part of its community.

St. Simon the Apostle School 3447131 4

Posted December 01, 2010
My son is in kindergarten at St Simon. The adjustment from his more permissive pre-school to the kindergarten at St Simon was a bit rough, but the teacher worked with myself and my son, gave good feedback and suggestions and we got through the rough patch. They are very open to parents volunteering, seem to pick a good mix of fun and education field trips and my son loves the school. There is a small amount of easily completed homework, and a good level of interaction with the classes via email and parent-teacher meetings. The principal keeps parents informed and is open to suggestions and advice. There are regular opportunities for parents to meet with him and the teachers. They are quite strict, but I expected this. The uniforms and uniform restrictions are a bit much, but they are the norm for a parochial school. Overall, I and my son are very pleased, and my son has grown by leaps and bounds.

St. Simon the Apostle School 4160398 0

Posted April 27, 2010
I have 2 daughters at St Simon, one in 7th grade and one in 3rd grade. The academics at St. Simon are excellent. The school always has a 95%+ passing rate on the ISTEP. My daughter said the test is 'very easy'. They are well prepared. There is a sense of belonging at the school and the teachers truly care about the kids. We love it here.

St. Simon the Apostle School 3117563 2

Posted February 05, 2009
The students are very nice but the teachers are very strict and give referrals for anything they see.

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

St. Simon the Apostle School
8155 Oaklandon Road, Indianapolis, IN  46236
St. Simon the Apostle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.