PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

This catholic school is becoming a little less Catholic everyday due to some leaders on the school commission, the head administrator, who thankfully is leaving, and the parish priest. These "leaders" are letting a large group of parents act as though this is a private prep school/country club. The Christ Centered environment remains in the classrooms thanks to the many excellent teachers, but beyond the doors of the classrooms many students act entitled just like their parents. Most of the teachers pre-k -5 provide an excellent education and are loving. The middle school needs a lot of change to return to its former above average state. Hopefully, the new principal will lead us in the right direction. She will need to stay true to her integrity and be student centered to avoid the negative influence of those parents who think everything is perfect and want to avoid the truth about the state if the school's Catholic Integrity.

I am a parent at this school and I can honestly say the school is pretty good. Like most private Catholic schools you have a minority of helicopter parents who have all the answers on everything that should happen on day to day basis. If those people would stick to parenting instead of critiquing the way in which teachers and administrator's use the bath room the school would be perfect. The bottom line is the school is a great place for a child to experience faith based learning. I like the fact my child is challenged in a way he can build relationships and knowledge for his future. Education is a team process and not an individual one. Unfortunately in today's society people spend time blaming everyone but the person in the mirror.

I'm a middle school grade student at SSTA, and most of the school is great! One problem, though, a lot of students seem to be bullied, I don't mean like punch you in the mouth and mock you in front of that person, but like behind the back stuff. It just makes me mad that teachers won't do anything about it. Also, it seems that if I am myself, I'm not accepted, and I need to be an entirely different person, to be accepted, by teachers and students. It is sad to see our current principal leave, although I know many parents don't like his decisions, I think he was pretty good, despite the shoe and sock rules.

Unfortunately, our school of many years has gone way down hill. Parents with money have much control, and those without so much money are unheard - even when serious problems abound. The school and parish have become very divided. Many problems exist, but administration has a way with words to appease some - but they are not fooling others. If they would just acknowledge that the concerns are valid, so much could be accomplished. They prefer to continue to act as though all concerns are unfounded and refuse to accept responsibility for the downhill decline over the past few years. Very sad situation.

This school has gone from very good academically and spiritually to a very negative and academically deteriorating environment over the last 3 years. The administration is ineffective at best and their lack of vision and micromanagement has driven some of the quality teachers to leave and left others that remain unhappy and unfulfilled. Students are overworked, over stressed and frequently reprimanded and punished for extremely petty things. The mutual lack of respect and lack of trust between administrators, teachers, parents and students is destroying what was formerly a Christ-centered culture in the school. Most parents of middle school students are counting down the number of days that they have before there students get to escape to High School.

I have three kids at the school and could not say enough positive remarks about their academic and spiritual growth. The 99% ISTEP passing rate illustrates that. Most kids who transfer into St. Simon at later grades are at least a year behind but do catch up. My kids love the school because they have obtained a great sense of achievement from working hard. As a parent, you must be willing to help your child with homework in the early grades. If you want an easy school this one is not for you. And yes, the student review below is correct; the teachers will punish your child if they misbehave. Sorry.

I have a 4th grader and preschooler and couldn't be happier. The teachers have been very involved in the academic and social development of my children. Part of the reason we send our kids to a parochial school is for the discipline and we are fine with the strict uniform restrictions.

Absolutely excellent school. I have a 6th, 3rd and 1st grader. We live in a neighborhood where most of the kids go to a very well respected township school and when I compare the knoweledge that my kids have over theirs it amazes me. The academics are tough, but well worth it. I know my kids will be very well rounded and enter into the transition of high school with ease. In addition to the excellent academics, the community and moral values that are being instilled into my children are impecible. We are truly blessed to have our children at this school and to be a part of its community.

My son is in kindergarten at St Simon. The adjustment from his more permissive pre-school to the kindergarten at St Simon was a bit rough, but the teacher worked with myself and my son, gave good feedback and suggestions and we got through the rough patch. They are very open to parents volunteering, seem to pick a good mix of fun and education field trips and my son loves the school. There is a small amount of easily completed homework, and a good level of interaction with the classes via email and parent-teacher meetings. The principal keeps parents informed and is open to suggestions and advice. There are regular opportunities for parents to meet with him and the teachers. They are quite strict, but I expected this. The uniforms and uniform restrictions are a bit much, but they are the norm for a parochial school. Overall, I and my son are very pleased, and my son has grown by leaps and bounds.

I have 2 daughters at St Simon, one in 7th grade and one in 3rd grade. The academics at St. Simon are excellent. The school always has a 95%+ passing rate on the ISTEP. My daughter said the test is 'very easy'. They are well prepared. There is a sense of belonging at the school and the teachers truly care about the kids. We love it here.

Last modified St. Simon the Apostle School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.