Roncalli High School

Private | 9-12 | 1127 students

We are best known for great students, great teachers, and great school spirit

Living in Indianapolis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $103,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Sweep tile

Posted February 13, 2014

My son transferred out of Roncalli to the public school at the beginning of 2014, because he has a breakdown when we tried to discuss with him what courses he wanted to take for the next academic year. It turns out that there was a kid that he had in two of his classes that was bullying him, as in saying things to him, making fun of how he talked, and throwing things at him, like pencils and spitballs. The vice principal in charge of student activities told us that "Roncalli isn't a good fit for all students". The dean was going to talk to the student involved, but, I believe he dropped the ball, because our son left the school. Bullying is the elephant in the room at Roncalli; I know of other kids who have been bullied. During freshman year, we had to attend a series of parent meetings, and during one, the same dean emphasized that there would be zero tolerance for bullying. I guess so, if all the bullied students leave.

Posted November 2, 2013

What a great experience we are having! I really love the way my daughter has started to really excel! The best High School on the south side of Indianapolis!

Posted September 13, 2012

Both of my children have graduated from Roncalli High School. They could not have had a better experience anywhere else. The instruction that they received for their entire four years was excellent. All of the Administration, Faculty and Staff are very professional and very qualified to do their jobs. The school is very faith based across all aspects, where prayer is said multiple times a day in class, on the athletic field or court, in the arts and for any extracurricular activity. The facilities are unmatched by any private school in the city of Indianapolis and the surrounding areas. College prep is stressed, but students of all academic abilities will find their niche, and Roncalli has an extensive special needs learning program, enabling a family to ensure that all of their children get the same faith based education. When both of my children entered college, they said that they were 'over prepared' and so far ahead of many of their college peers as far as academia, study habits and time management, not to mention their faith. The lessons that my children learned at Roncalli are life lessons which will stay with them forever. That is why we call it the Roncalli Family!

Posted December 15, 2011

Our experience with Roncalli is somewhat limited, being that our son is only a freshman, but we know for sure that he is not going to attend it next year. We are most disappointed, both for the lack of professionalism from instructors (we do wonder if they have ANY college degree at all), and for the contents of their teaching. This school essentially teaches INTOLERANCE at all levels (sometime in a subtle yet perverse way), and we find it unacceptable. Also, they mislead the students with twisted and altered information about well known facts in science and history. My advise to those who would be inclined to attend Roncalli is: find a better way to spend your hard earned money.

Posted November 29, 2011

Roncalli is an amazing and very special place. Not only has the school shaped me into a great student, but the school has made me a well rounded individual in and out of the classroom. The emphasis on faith first is what sets this school apart from the rest. They truly help nurture the Catholic faith in each student in things such as senior retreat and daily communion services. I love the Roncalli family. How many other schools call their gym the family room? The Roncalli community is truly a family that cares for each individual no matter what race, gender, status, financial status, sexual orientation, or household you come from. We are a family and I'm so proud to be a part of it. My experience with Roncalli was so great that I would love to end up teaching there! It has made such an impact on my life. I invite others who are thinking of sending their children to Roncalli to not hesitate to do so. Yes, Catholic education is expensive, but think of it as an investment in your child's future because you will not be disappointed and the affects of Roncalli will last long after they graduate. I can speak from experience! I love Roncalli! Go Rebels!

Posted March 18, 2011

While I am pleased with the academic qualities of Roncalli there are other areas that need some work. Socially the school is very clique oriented. The students of wealthier parents look down upon those that come from average or low income households. Also there is a perception that minorities aren't welcome which is very unfortunate considering this is a parochial school. On the plus side, students are required to have a number of service hours each semester which I think is terrific. It's unfortunate that some of the spoiled brats don't get the meaning of service.

Posted January 21, 2011

It's not worth getting all excited about roncalli. It's not a good school. They hire people that don't have a teachers degree. It results that a lot of students end up failing. The counselors are fakes and impatient, too.

Posted August 10, 2009

I have had kids at Roncalli for over ten years and I can't believe that there are more than a few schools in the country that could stack up to it in the areas of academics, leadership, and inspiration of our children to excel. The facilities are remarkable for a private school. If I had to do it again I would not change a thing. It is a very special school.

Posted July 28, 2008

My Daughter goes to Roncall - I Love Roncalli is Awesome! My Daughter goes to Roncall - She loves it. There is not a better place for students to be. Everyone there is Great & Caring about their Students. Highly Recommend.

Posted August 24, 2006

Our daughter attends Roncalli high school and we are extremely satisfied with our decision to send her there. Our four other children attended Cathedral and Scecina high Schools respectively and Roncalli is by far the best. The caring teachers and staff make this a very special place. The wide range of extracurricular activities and programs help your child find their place in high school life. Whenever I have had an occasion to enter the school during the day I am amazed to have the front door opened by any passing student and a friendly hello from kids I don't even know. It is a very tough school academically, encouraging your child to always do their best and helping them when they need it. IUPUI told me they don't look at academic rank from kids who go to Roncalli because they are always so well prepared.

Posted September 29, 2005

This Blue Ribbon school is one of the best in the Indianapolis area. They are building a huge new music and arts complex for their developming programs. The parents, as well as the students, are involved in the education. I couldn't recommend it more!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 20, 2005

I am a student at Roncalli and I love it! Everyone is so welcoming and you learn so much. The teachers are so great and can teach one-on-one because of the low student teacheher ratios. The principal even cleans up the cafeteria, teaches, and seems to know almost everyone. The school is so encouraging to make everyone involved. It is an awesome school and well worth the cost.

Posted February 19, 2005

I am a student at Roncalli, and I absolutely love my school! We have so much spirit and pride. It's really amazing. I happen to be in the honors program, and I love the challenge. All of my teachers really teach for a great reason: a love for teaching. It's not about the money at a Catholic school. They just love to to teach. I am also involved in the choir program at school. Our fine arts department is excellent at what they do. Roncalli has outstanding extracurriculars as well. Our football team has won eight state champion ships overall, three being consecutive. But our school it about more than just football. We have so much determination and drive. We all love to cheer eachother on. It doesn't matter what sport or activity. I am a student at Roncalli High School,and I wouldn't trade my experiences for the world.

Posted September 9, 2003

We are non-catholic and have never regreted the decision to send our son to Roncalli. Fives across the board are hard to believe but I feel are warranted. The principal knows every student by name and leads a great staff by example. The staff from top to bottom bleeds red, white and blue. They believe in the Roncalli family and work to make it happen. Teachers try to develop 1 on 1 relationships with the student and will do anything to see a student succeed. My child is not a great student but they will not let him slide by. Cost is high and we have had to work hard to pay for the education. If your child needs a high level of commitment and effort from the school educating him or her this is a great choice.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

District
State

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1090

Graduation rate

96.2%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

English learners 1%N/AN/A
Special education 12%N/AN/A
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 12%N/AN/A
Source: Manually entered by school official

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school All ten South Deanery Catholic Schools
Perry/Franklin Township schools
Johnson County public schools
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 4% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 93% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2012)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2012)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 1% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Purdue or Indiana Universities
Dayton, Marian, UIndy and Xavi
Ball State, USI
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Innovations in Catholic Education (2012)
  • Outstanding Educator of the Year (2012)

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

• 7:30 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:00 p.m.
  • Mr Charles Weisenbach
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (317) 788-4095

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Central 9 Vocational School

Media arts
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Game club
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Literary magazine
  • Marching band
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor