Nativity School

Private | PK-8 | 351 students

We are best known for high achievement, service and our fine arts program

Living in Indianapolis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $124,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted September 12, 2011

Nativity Catholic School continues to grow in enrollment, programs, and academic achievement each and every year. In October 2010, Nativity was featured as one of Indianapolis' Best Schools by Indianapolis Monthly. We are ranked as high achieving with high growth in Mathematics by the Indiana Department of Education. We encourage to visit us to see for yourself that Nativity is truly "The School of Choice.

Posted September 26, 2012

First off, this is the BEST school my daughter has ever attended! She was in public school since the beginning of her school career until she reached the 7th grade when she came to live with me. Anytime that I tease and ask if she would like to go back to public school, she says, "No Way!". That is good enough for me! The teachers have been extremely supportive of her in her transition and continue to be. Nativity is #1 in my book! God Bless! -Lou Everett

Posted February 9, 2012

I continue to be impressed by everything this school has to offer! My children continue to flourish academically, spiritually, emotionally and physically. Nativity has wonderful values, teachers, administration and families.

Posted February 6, 2012

I couldn't be more pleased choice we made to send our children to Nativity. Some things I have experienced with my kids: *Expectation of good conduct and hard work by students *Interactive learning via online technology for math and reading *Volunteer activities within the school *Older students who mentor younger students *Teachers and staff who care very much about our students *A principal who listens, is caring and is fair *A priest who the students (and parents) adore *A community of friends for students and parents *Christ-centered learning My children continue to 'wow' me with what they learn each and every day in math, reading, specials, but I love when they come home and talk about their faith.

Posted October 31, 2011

Nativity is a wonderful place to teach. Students are very engaged, parents are very supportive, and faculty members encourage each other to do their best.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 29, 2011

An excellent school! I would highly recommend for any parent searching for a school who teaches catholic values integrated into the curriculum.

Posted October 8, 2011

We have 2 children at Nativity Catholic School and could not be happier with our school of choice! Nativity Catholic School provides students wtih a well-rounded Catholic education with its challenging curriculum, state of the art technology, and wonderful fine arts and physical education programs. The academic standards are high and the students are encouraged to reach their highest potential. Students are also encouraged to give back to their community by participating in monthly service projects that help those less fortunate. Nativity Catholic School has strong leadership and an exceptionally talented faculty and staff. As an added bonus the parish priest is a visible presence as he greets students each morning and actively participates in many school events. Sending our children to Nativity Catholic School is worth every penny especially when we hear our preschooler praying grace while playing tea party with her dolls or when we listen to our 2nd grader singing songs he learned from attending weekly class Masses. We cannot imagine our children receiving a better Catholic education in a more caring environment than our school of choice, Nativity Catholic School.

Posted September 13, 2011

My son has attended Nativity for two years and I have been extremely pleased. He had difficulty learning his letter and sound association in K but his teacher was very caring and attentive to his individual needs. Now in 1st grade and reading with confidence. He calls school his "second family" and absolutely loves it there. He is learning in leaps and bounds and it seems they are helping instill a love of learning every day while challenging the students to learn beyond what they believe is possible. The staff is very helpful and it is clear they truly love the students. The parents are involved and you can tell... what an exceptional group of families, students and staff. Wonderful experience.

Posted April 23, 2011

I would not sent any of your children to this school. No discipllined is enforced. Save the money and you will be glad you did.

Posted October 25, 2010

Considering some of the posts here are getting outdated I would just like to state for the record that the technology department at Nativity Catholic School is brand new this year and is state of the art. This is a building wide improvement plan and we have been very busy making sure that we are not simply par with the township schools, but are surpassing the technology found in those schools in every what possible. I strongly believe that the computer lab in our school would be a very familiar sight on most university campus.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 10, 2010

This our second year at Nativity and we love it. In addition to being academically challenged, my daughter is learning more about responsibility and accountability. It pleases me to know that Nativity is helping to instill such traits in tandem with my parental efforts at home. Nativity offers an outstanding challenge for students academically. When compared to public schools, I find that Nativity appears to be at least a year ahead. At "Back To School Night", the Principal shared the Nativity ISTEP scores by grade level compared to the state average. Nativity blew the state average away and far surpassed the "average" scores. Again, further justification for me that my daughter is in the perfect school for us. I would not send her anywhere else. I highly recommend Nativity to any prospective parent(s).

Posted February 3, 2010

I discovered Nativity when I was looking for a school that provided all day kindergarten. We fell in love with Nativity from the start. The teachers are so invested in the success of the students and their love for teaching shows. There is a strong sense of community at Nativity and the students take pride in their school. The academic expectations and achievements make this school stand out. We have been here 4 years now and I will continue to make sacrifices in other areas if need be in order to continue to send my child to Nativity.

Posted January 14, 2010

This is our first year at Nativity. We have a 1st & 2nd grader currently enrolled. We have been so impressed with everyone at Nativity. The teachers in 1st & 2nd grade are exceptional. One of the things that surprised me right away was how the entire faculty & staff knew the names of every child. The involvement & continuous accessibility of the Principal & Priest are exceptional. We have experienced true care toward our children and our concerns. We just finished up the Advent & Christmas Season & I can not imagine the thought of my children EVER missing this wonderful time year at a public school again. The everyday presence of Christ in our school is priceless. I was raised in public school & always argued that I had a fine education... I had no idea what I missed until now. Nativity is a blessing to our entire family.

Posted January 12, 2010

I have put all 4 of my children through Nativity. Currently, 2nd grade - 7th grade. We did public schools for 4 years and then made the switch to Nativity and have been a part of this great community school for 5 years now. My son had difficulty with Adams elementary with the large number of students and the inability of the teacher to give much time to each student. Nativity is small enough, that my children get a lot of personal attention/help. All of the teachers know all of the students so there is accountability at all times. Most of the parents are involved and the teachers freely talk to the parents - this means the children know that we will hear about everything they do! All of my children love this school and are very happy to be a part of something special. Anita and Todd Schneider

Posted January 4, 2010

Having grown up in a small town, I was a little nervous about putting my children in such a large public school system. My husband and I attend Nativity Church and when it came time to choose a preschool, we stopped looking after we found Nativity School. After five years at the school we couldn't be more pleased. My kids learn everything from respect for themselves and others to the educational subjects - all with the lessons of Christ interwoven. Parents are truly vested in making Nativity the best school and giving their children the best education possible.

Posted December 19, 2009

I have four children who attend Nativity, from Kindergarten on up through middle school. As a family, we love Nativity, the quality academics, the faith based education, the caring and dedication shown by the faculty, staff, and administration, and the great family atmosphere that exists within the school. I would not trust any other school with the education of my children.

Posted November 17, 2009

This is our fourth year at Nativity Catholic School. We spent one year in Warren Township schools prior to coming here. We continue to be amazed at the focus on community, academic excellence and faith filled education that Nativity offers. One of my favorite parts of the school is the pairing of younger students with older students - as reading buddies and church partners. It helps the younger kids to feel important and involved and reminds the older students that they are an example to others.

Posted November 3, 2009

Nativity offers my kids so much more than just an education. I love the fact that the education they receive is not only faith based, but also is taught with so much love and encourgement from the administration and staff. Not only have my children made wonderful friends through Nativity, but the parents have as well. The focus of community runs strong at Nativity and I am proud to be a part of that community.

Posted September 21, 2009

One of the best decisions my parents made for me was choosing Nativity Catholic School for my education. For that I am deeply grateful as it was the foundation for my deep faith, successful professional career, understanding of the importance of community and service for others and long-lasting friendships. I am excited to now choose Nativity Catholic School for my children. Some of the things I have appreciated as a parent of a Nativity student include the following: *The positive leadership of our administration *The encouragement of and large participation of parent volunteers *The team effort of faculty, staff & parents to provide the best experience for our students *Inclusion of music, art and physical education in the curriculum *Opportunities for extra-curricular activities including sports, clubs and organizations *Incredible enhancements to our computer/technology area, playground, library/literacy center and cafeteria/lunch program Each day when I pick up my child from school and hear I had a great day at school today I know I ve made the best choice for my children s education and beyond.

Posted August 7, 2009

My family has been part of this school for 8 years. In the beginning we started out with a good principal then moved on to a principal who did not seem to have our childrens best interest at heart. Last year a new principal joined our school and I knew from our first meeting things were looking brighter. As the year moved on Mrs. Rodriguez proved in words and deeds that she put our children first. Thanks to her and good luck to our returning and new teachers this year.

Posted June 28, 2009

My children have attended Nativity for the last 4 years and we have been nothing but pleased with this school. My children are not only doing exceptionally well academically, but they are learning about Christ daily, and we cannot get that in our public schools. Our new principal is excellent and has made many wonderful changes to our school. Go Titans!

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

White 1 97% 74%
Multiracial 1 2% 4%
Hispanic 1 1% 7%
American Indian 1 0% 0%
Asian/Pacific Islander 2 N/A 2%
Black 1 0% 12%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 1 0% N/A
Source: Manually entered by school official
Source: 2 IN Dept. of Education, 2009-2010

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/AN/A
Source: 1 Manually entered by school official
Source: 2 IN Dept. of Education, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Innovations in Education (2007)
  • Indianapolis Monthly Best Schools (2010)
  • Excellent Educational Opportunities (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:15 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:15 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs Terri Rodriguez
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (317) 357-9175

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Transportation options
  • Fee-based
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Cafeteria
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom