Bishop Chatard High School

Private | 9-12 | 733 students

We are best known for dedication to Catholic education.

Living in Indianapolis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $171,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Sweep tile

Posted February 15, 2014

Awesome, no complaints, nurturing environment , great lunch program, super students/faculty, like family. It was a pleasure to be a parent there. Bill Sahm the president is sensational.

Posted October 29, 2013

Bishop Chatard High School is an outstanding high school and one of the primary reasons that I have been successful in my life. First and foremost, Bishop Chatard provided me an outstanding education that prepared me extremely well for college. Bishop Chatard also allowed me to grow because of the focus it puts on developing the whole person. I truly believe that my experiences at Bishop Chatard have given me the foundation to understand my religion better, understand many different people, react and adjust to life experiences better, and provided me a greater sense of the importance of community and impacting it positively.

Posted August 9, 2013

This school is corrupt now. An awful environment for my student and absolutely no one on one time with any teachers. I would advise sending your student to a different school in Indianapolis.

Posted September 15, 2012

I received a very high quality education from Chatard and had no trouble adjusting to college academics. My teachers were knowledgeable and experienced. However, I struggled to fit in with the social environment. When I attended BCHS, it was extremely focused on athletics and if you were not an athlete or part of an established family at the school, you were not on the social radar. I was bullied terribly by my classmates and did not feel comfortable telling the administrators. I felt there was a lot of favoritism and because my bullies were popular and in sports, no one would care. It got so bad I was begging my mother to switch me to a public school my senior year. I honestly feel I would have had many more friends and a much more positive experience at North Central or another public school, especially if I had taken honors or accelerated classes there, I think I would have had an equally good college prep education. I honestly do not have many positive memories of Chatard other than the good education I received.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 12, 2010

Bishop Chatard High School offers a fantastic education and superb community for students and parents. Lifelong relationships are born or continued there. The teachers are passionate about what they do and have made some of the most meaningful people and memorable experiences for me, to date. I would not have traded my high school experience there for anything different.

Posted March 20, 2007

Starting in 1998, we have been parents of 4 children going through Chatard. We could not be happier for the friends that we and our children have made. The community support as well as the academic support are what made their experience very positive. All have, or will, excel in college and beyond. The size of the school gives them variety without being lost in a crowd. All the teachers know their names, as well as ours. We have always been impressed by the dedication and concern of the teachers. We are particularly excited about the new president recently named. The spiritual as well as the academic aspects will be strengthened under his leadership. New updates to facilities will improve the physical surrounding for the students.

Posted July 24, 2006

My daughter currently attend Bishop Chatard and we have found it to be a perfect fit for her needs. It is challenging academically and her teachers are available to her for questions or for help whenever she needs it. Because parental involvement is key to the survival of the school, my daughter is exposed to more than just administration, teachers and students during her school day, which is how Chatard maintains it 'family feel'. Another reason that we find Chatard to be a 'cut above the rest' is that each and every student is involved in community service on some level and must perform this community service (20 hrs per year) in order to graduate. My daughter is an athlete, she enjoys the fact that - I would estimate - at least 70% of the students are involved in some kind of sport. Chatard is school spirit and tradition.

Posted October 20, 2004

Bishop Chatard is an excellent high school. I am a previous student and completely enjoyed all four years of high school. The education and staff are wonderful, along with the great atmosphere of the students. I would never change my high school experience at BCHS.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 11, 2004

Our two sons (Classes of 2000 and 2004) graduated from BCHS, so we spent 8 years at this school. Our overall feeling is very positive. We came from an academically stong but very small elementary school, so the move to Chatard was not overwhelming for our boys in terms of size and expectations, but rather was a natural progression towards the college years. Chatard provided our sons with a high quality education and plenty of extracurricular opportunities. Parental involvement is extremely strong and goes a long way in assuring our children's safety and success. Both of our sons are better for having attended Bishop Chatard High School.

Posted March 28, 2004

Chatard is an awesome place to attend, it's not to small and it's not too large. What really sets the school apart is tradition and parent involvement. Many parents are one time students and they carry the tradition on by supporting the staff and students during all types of events. Even though the dean of students is a little shaky he is still a positive person to be around and is all about life skills. Many of the teachers here are awesome and really want the students to succeed. Most teachers and students develope a tight knit relationship over the years because there aren't many students to get mixed and lost in the shuffle. Also, football is a long standing tradition at our school, we won our first championship in '83'. All in all Chatard is a quality school that is really here to help develope and show students character.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 23, 2004

My daughter struggled in the first year at BSHS but the teachers, coaches and classmates made her experience extremely warm and inviting. Now that she is a senior, she could not be happier.

Posted September 9, 2003

I went to this school for my 3 last years of high school. I have always found that catholic school offers a much more personal environment than public school, and Chatard was a very fun and relaxed place to be. I feel it is also nice to be able to wear uniforms and not have to worry about what to wear the next day, which is a nice thing for a teenage girl to not have to deal with. The art program is especially great with a great staff of well rounded art professionals. Chatard, when i was there (c/o 99) was well known for winning several state football championships. I think every person in our school went to at least one football game during each season, even myself, not being a big sports fan at all.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

169 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

District
State

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1050

Graduation rate

98.3%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

English learners 0%N/AN/A
Special education 9%N/AN/A
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 4%N/AN/A
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 90% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 5% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2012)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2012)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 3% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab
  • Recycling club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 7:30 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:10 p.m.
  • Mr William Sahm
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (317) 251-3648

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer time after school
School colors
  • blue, white
School mascot
  • Trojans

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Outside scholarships
Tax credits

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2012
2 year college - 90%
4 year college - 5%
Military - 1%
Vocational - 1%
Workforce - 3%

5885 Crittenden Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46220

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download