Posted February 04, 2014
This school is amazing. Yes it is a bit of a hand full of money, but it is 100 percent worth it. This school is unlike any other. They offer a hands on learning program that gets the students to enjoy school and fully prepares them for high school. Each grade has a large highlight for the year. 5th-8th grade take an out of state field trip. 2nd grade makes maple syrup and many others I can not list due to character limits. This school has an amazing athletic and academic program and is one of the best in the state. Yes this school might now be best for all students, but for many it is amazing. The teachers only see the best interest in preparing the students for the future. The two main things that Orchard is remembered for is the basket ball program and the performing arts program, but all the other programs are just as amazing. The basketball program is the state champion for the last couple years and the performing arts has some of the best musicians in the state. Each student is required to play an instrument and do choir once reaching the 5th grade. This school has two big alumni that I would like to tell you about. The owners of Traders Point Creamery. Thank you. - a student

Posted January 24, 2014
We love Orchard so much that we enrolled all 3 of our kids there. All three of my children are very different, they have different learning styles, different strengths and weaknesses, different levels of motivation, and very different personalities. Orchard works for all of them. I am constantly amazed at how well the teachers know my children. The first report card we got (my son had just started in 3rd grade) was 10 pages long! I know that Orchard will prepare my kids academically, but what I really love is all the other stuff. My kids now have an understanding of how they fit in the the world, not just their small community. They are learning to be confident, responsible, thoughtful, kind, creative, persistent, collaborative, well balanced individuals. I also love it for me. They have great parent education like classes on how to deal with your teenager, collaborative talks, thoughtful articles sent out, and so much more. I also love how the administration listens and it collaborative with the parent body. They are always moving the school forward while growing and changing with the students' needs as the primary goal.

Posted December 16, 2013
Education not indoctrination. Orchard is the leader in Indianapolis when it comes to deeply educating children. Here you will find a solid program that encourages children to take the lead in their learning. Compassionate, inspiring teachers ignite a passion to seek information allowing children to engage their curiosity and creativity. This is not a school driven by test scores and the common core. Orchard is so much more...it is a place where children are given the opportunity to step outside the box, take risks, find their passion, excel in small groups, have confidence, fail and get back up, be fearless public speakers, engage in the arts and foreign language, take part in outdoor education, service learning, etc. If you are looking to instill resilience, passion, compassion, curiosity and an overall love of learning, send your children to Orchard. The teachers are the best and fully believe in parents as partners. Also, The new head of the school is top notch! My elementary school children have been at Orchard 5 years and LOVE to go to school!

Posted June 03, 2013
Orchard meets children where they are and takes them beyond a parent's expectations. The classes are small, so each teacher truly gets to know each student. My children feel nurtured here and therefore they're confident and they love school!! My son is an accelerated learner, so he is taken out of the regular math and reading classes and given more accelerated work. He is challenged, but not frustrated. The teachers know how to push him and keep in engaged, without leaving him overwhelmed. The teachers here make children feel capable and confident. When a child feels confident, they can truly excel. Orchard graduates are poised, life-long learners who excel in high school, college and in life. They are excellent public speakers. That's because at Orchard, articulating ideas in front of an audience starts in preschool. The children get a well-rounded education that prepares them for life. They get physical education, music, theater, art and Spanish along with the math and science courses. Orchard even has before and after school care! I'm so thankful my children attend this awesome school. Orchard makes me wish I could go back to elementary school again!

Posted June 03, 2013
We knew about Orchard's reputation, so we decided to tour the school when we had our first child. We were blown away by the atmosphere and philosophy of the school. Financially, however, we did not know if Orchard was an option for us. When our daughter reached school age, we applied and were pleasantly surprised to receive some financial aid from the school that made it possible for her to attend. We were thrilled with her time there. The teachers love each child and truly work with their unique talents and challenges. They say that nature is considered part of the classroom, and this is absolutely true. It is such a family atmosphere and such a warm, welcoming place for learning. During our second year at the school, we had to transfer out of state. We wish that we could have brought Orchard with us. We miss our Orchard family, and will definitely return there is we end up back in Indy. If you are considering Orchard but aren't sure about the cost, I highly recommend applying for financial aid. They have a very generous endowment, and every penny you spend at the school is worth it.

Posted June 03, 2013
As a parent believing in kids centric progressive learning, Orchard is the place to go. Their entire cultural is centering around children's needs, not adults. I love the facts they don't have Letter grade until middle school transition grade. We need to have more creative way to foster learning besides standard test and grades. My two daughters graduated from the Orchard and know how to learn, not just memory the materials. They have the confidants to interact with teachers and other school staffs because Orchard well prepared them!

Posted April 16, 2013
Wonderful, caring teachers with an emphasis on the whole child. I love that teachers are concerned with life skills and self esteem in addition to academics. Doesn't much matter if my preschooler can say his abc's if he isn't able to express himself or feel confident in his classroom. My son loves school and that says it all.

Posted May 18, 2010
This school is amazing! The teachers have taught my 5 year old to love school again! (she had a bad experience in her previous school) She loves school so much now I am worried that she might be sad to be home for Summer vacation!

Posted September 17, 2009
A terrific school for learning and caring about others. Four stars

Posted January 16, 2009
I was very surprised to read the previous review. The teachers at Orchard are top notch and are as considerate of diversity as any I've seen. Great school! We are hoping to stay all the way through, but the price tag may prove to be prohibitive especially since we live in a god public school district.

The Orchard School
615 West 64th Street, Indianapolis, IN  46260
Last modified The Orchard School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
The Orchard School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.