PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

After 5 years at Orchard, each year my son's daily activities still amaze me. He's in 2nd grade and has attended since preschool. Whether it's dissecting a squid (today's treat) or learning about forest layers and teamwork by hoisting each other up (with close supervision) into a tree for perspective, he learns on a level beyond the norm. I am jealous of the ingenious ways teachers engage students. I recall making it through long days with worksheets and boring texts. Kids at Orchard are taught to love learning and drive to think critically. Diversity and respect for others opinions is a part of school each day. I love that kids at all levels get the challenge they need without being singled out as smarter or lessor. Self esteem and confidence are built instead of insecurity. This place is organized chaos at times but it works. Kids here are used to hands on learning and having fun.

Great environment and wonderful teachers! Children are taught in a manner that engages them and develops a lifelong love of learning.

Orchard is a place where you will find grandparents engaged in active play with their grandchildren on the playground. Orchard is a place where you will observe teachers taking the time to model appropriate, respectful negotiation skills (and to reflect the students' feelings that are behind the students' behaviors with understanding and compassion- even when the behaviors need modification). Orchard is a place where the administration and faculty interact respectfully with students. Orchard is a place where administration and faculty interact respectfully with each other. Orchard is a place where students interact respectfully with each other. This respectful interaction, combined with the natural curiosity of young minds, allows Orchard to be a safe place and encourages active learning for anyone- and for everyone who enters its doors. Those who invest their time with Orchard learn how to more fully, and more civilly, engage in the work of inclusive solutions for many of the problems in today's diverse communities.

We have be at Orchard for many years and have nothing but great classroom experiences. The teachers know my child and this creates a safe and meaningful place for true learning to occur. Because of the way the teachers know my child she is never afraid to try new things as that is just part of the expectation at The Orchard School. The focus on children speaking in front of their peers from preschool through eighth grade.

This school is very close minded. They denied my daughter but would not give a reason why. I could not even get a written response. I got a phone call and an email asking to call them. They would never come out and say why my child could not attend their school. My child was anxious and took time to warm up but the the testing was fine. I would also like to mention that their testing is not done by a doctor or school psychologist it is done by a teacher with a degree in ballet. A teacher that has no business judging children than refusing to give that judgement. I even tried to contact the headmaster to ask for the reason my child was denied but still no reply.

My son and daughter got suspended for saying why they don't like Orchard. They suspended my kids for free speech, this is not very fair, is it? Do not under any circumstances enroll your children at Orchard.

This school is amazing. Yes it is a bit of a hand full of money, but it is 100 percent worth it. This school is unlike any other. They offer a hands on learning program that gets the students to enjoy school and fully prepares them for high school. Each grade has a large highlight for the year. 5th-8th grade take an out of state field trip. 2nd grade makes maple syrup and many others I can not list due to character limits. This school has an amazing athletic and academic program and is one of the best in the state. Yes this school might now be best for all students, but for many it is amazing. The teachers only see the best interest in preparing the students for the future. The two main things that Orchard is remembered for is the basket ball program and the performing arts program, but all the other programs are just as amazing. The basketball program is the state champion for the last couple years and the performing arts has some of the best musicians in the state. Each student is required to play an instrument and do choir once reaching the 5th grade. This school has two big alumni that I would like to tell you about. The owners of Traders Point Creamery. Thank you. - a student

We love Orchard so much that we enrolled all 3 of our kids there. All three of my children are very different, they have different learning styles, different strengths and weaknesses, different levels of motivation, and very different personalities. Orchard works for all of them. I am constantly amazed at how well the teachers know my children. The first report card we got (my son had just started in 3rd grade) was 10 pages long! I know that Orchard will prepare my kids academically, but what I really love is all the other stuff. My kids now have an understanding of how they fit in the the world, not just their small community. They are learning to be confident, responsible, thoughtful, kind, creative, persistent, collaborative, well balanced individuals. I also love it for me. They have great parent education like classes on how to deal with your teenager, collaborative talks, thoughtful articles sent out, and so much more. I also love how the administration listens and it collaborative with the parent body. They are always moving the school forward while growing and changing with the students' needs as the primary goal.

Education not indoctrination. Orchard is the leader in Indianapolis when it comes to deeply educating children. Here you will find a solid program that encourages children to take the lead in their learning. Compassionate, inspiring teachers ignite a passion to seek information allowing children to engage their curiosity and creativity. This is not a school driven by test scores and the common core. Orchard is so much more...it is a place where children are given the opportunity to step outside the box, take risks, find their passion, excel in small groups, have confidence, fail and get back up, be fearless public speakers, engage in the arts and foreign language, take part in outdoor education, service learning, etc. If you are looking to instill resilience, passion, compassion, curiosity and an overall love of learning, send your children to Orchard. The teachers are the best and fully believe in parents as partners. Also, The new head of the school is top notch! My elementary school children have been at Orchard 5 years and LOVE to go to school!

Orchard meets children where they are and takes them beyond a parent's expectations. The classes are small, so each teacher truly gets to know each student. My children feel nurtured here and therefore they're confident and they love school!! My son is an accelerated learner, so he is taken out of the regular math and reading classes and given more accelerated work. He is challenged, but not frustrated. The teachers know how to push him and keep in engaged, without leaving him overwhelmed. The teachers here make children feel capable and confident. When a child feels confident, they can truly excel. Orchard graduates are poised, life-long learners who excel in high school, college and in life. They are excellent public speakers. That's because at Orchard, articulating ideas in front of an audience starts in preschool. The children get a well-rounded education that prepares them for life. They get physical education, music, theater, art and Spanish along with the math and science courses. Orchard even has before and after school care! I'm so thankful my children attend this awesome school. Orchard makes me wish I could go back to elementary school again!

Last modified The Orchard School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8