Heritage Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 1300 students

We are best known for academic excellence taught through a biblical worldview.

Living in Indianapolis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $146,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Sweep tile

Posted February 23, 2014

We have been so pleased in the growth of our two children both spiritually and academically. We will have our third child their next year who will be attending middle school. The education they will continue to receive from HCS challenges them beyond what normal public education seemed capable of doing...teaching them to be better than just normal average students. They've started to become more confident, caring, compassionate and responsible young teens who look forward to the challenges school brings to them everyday. They wake each morning looking forward to going to school. They are eager to embrace their own paths in life and do so with a positive Christian core belief that one day they can and will make a difference in our world. We are truly blessed and proud that HCS is not only a great school solely for academics, but the athletic programs are simply amazing in every way. Our children not only have a chance to shine in the classroom, but they also can on the playing field as well. The coaching instruction given by a highly qualified and dedicated staff is first rate. HCS is making a difference in young peoples lives and we are very thankful our children attend.

Posted February 16, 2014

Having attended Heritage from fifth to twelfth grade, I wanted to address some of the issues raised in the previous reviews made by people whom I, quite frankly, doubt know the first thing about Heritage, its community, or its academic merits. Without further ado... 1) diversity- good luck finding ANY private school on the north side of Indianapolis that is not predominately white. It's the nature of the beast. You have to live with it. 2) quality of academics- If you are looking for a school that will place your student on the fast track to college, Heritage is a great choice, boasting nearly a 100% matriculation rate. Heritage alumni are currently enrolled in undergraduate programs at Georgetown, Brown, NYU, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt, and one alumnus just earned his Ph.D. from Stanford. 3) faith- students are asked to not only make their faith their own, but also learn to defend their faith in a world that will so readily confront them with alternate life stances. Like it or not, students are compelled to think critically about matters of religion rather than mindlessly drone on about the Sunday school answers.

Posted February 5, 2014

As an alumnus who attended heritage for K-12 I left the school disheartened. Academically I was challenged and prepared, I was surrounded by teachers who cared and for the most part were good at their jobs. But the administration was terrible. I had 3 siblings graduate ahead of me and the way the school declined was tragic, the administration is in shamble. The bible department in the high school is troubling. The teachers were focused on teaching doctrine and not actually focusing on the students and their personal faith. Heritage is on the extreme end of conservatism were students who are gay face expulsion if there are even rumors of their sexual orientation. The environment created by the administration was not one of love and nurture, rather agendas and goals. I was fortunate and overcame it attending a top East Coast Universities where my faith was renewed after being so damaged by my senior bible teacher. I agree that the grade school is still excellent, but protect your older students.

Posted January 28, 2014

Heritage Christian is not a perfect school. It has it's problems, as does any school, but you will not find a more caring group of teachers and administrators who are truly trying to do the right thing for your kids. The academics are very challenging, and if you look at the average GPA and the SAT/ACT scores compared to other school throughout the state, you can se that Heritage students are more than prepared for the challenges of a college curriculum. As far as the Christian environment at Heritage is concerned, it is what a family makes it. Like any school, a kid can embrace the teachings, or he can do the minimum, not participate, and walk away with a less-than-satisfying experience. From our experience, the teachers are caring, giving, well-rounded educators who care about our child's Christian education and his preparedness to enter college. He is challenged every day, and is surrounded by teachers, administrators, and coaches who care about his soul as much as they do about his academic and athletic abilities. Consider having your child shadow for a day at Heritage. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Posted November 18, 2013

We are a middle class family and have three children attending Heritage Christian. Two middle schoolers and one elementary. The teachers and faculty are very friendly and helpful. My middle schoolers have had several teachers stay after school to give them extra help, and my elementary school teacher took the time to call me one evening just to make sure my son was adjusting well. The academics are very challenging and even in middle school my children made friends almost immediately. I would recommend this school to any family.

Posted November 6, 2013

I do not normally write reviews of this sort, but after I saw all the negative comments here I felt like I should. Heritage is a great school which provides a solid Christian education. I have only experienced high school here but it has been awesome. The teachers are great and truly care for the students while still providing a challenging education. The sports are slightly above average for a school this size. They have good seasons and bad seasons but no matter what they will challenge the athlete. I would definitely recommend this school to others. The only thing that I do not like about Heritage is their lack of school spirit. If kids had better spirit it would be that much better!

Posted August 9, 2013

We are a middle class family and we were at Heritage for 16 years. We had two students who went K-12 there. We are hard working, average people and I have to tell you that this is the best manner we could have chosen to spend our money for these past years. We have never looked back. The teachers are great, and the staff-they are what make the school. Our first child received a full scholarship to a highly ranked extremely academic internationally known Christian university (ranked #1 by US World and News Report for 5 years running for MidWest Liberal Arts Colleges). Our son received a full scholarship for engineering at a top ranked public university that is internationally known and demands the most desirable jobs on graduation. We were not a part of any 'network' at HCS. There are over a 1000 students at HCS and the handful of somewhat unhappy people have posted here. Take a tour, look for yourself and see what the hallways and students and staff look like for yourself. I am still astounded at the deep biblical knowledge that my adult children share with me and demonstrate in their lifestyles and attitudes and will comment they learned these prinicipals from their time at HCS.

Posted August 8, 2013

I attended from K-12. I'm going to focus on the aspect of HCS that most families likely send their kids based upon- its implementation of Christianity. Know that most of the teachers and staff, including the science teachers, believe that the earth is 10,000 years old and reject the theory of evolution. I never once heard a teacher express their opinion as otherwise, and understandably so; they would be ostracized. My Freshman year, we had to write a paper "choosing the side of evolution or creationism." Needless to say, no Freshman students chose the side of evolution (which we knew nothing about at the time). We then proceeded to compose our papers of straw-man and red herring arguments and "disprove" evolution. The school is legalistic. Most chapels and lessons are about how we are broken sinners and need Christ's redemption so we can go to heaven someday without ever taking the next step of becoming Christ-like here and now. Also, it is sinful to smoke a cigarette. Gay people should be discriminated against. The Earth's temperature is not increasing. Etc. In short, the school attempts to carve into its students the exact beliefs held by those in authority there.

Posted July 26, 2013

HCS is disappointing. Most of the students are academically lazy, spiritually apathetic, and have a sense of entitlement. The administration, faculty, and staff overall are cold and distant. The administration is unwilling to deal effectively with student discipline issues and sides against its teachers. Athletics absolutely drive the school and academics suffer. Like most anything, you can find some good things at HCS. The library program is well developed and the librarians are extremely knowledgeable. But if you are looking for a friendly, supportive Christian school, look elsewhere.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 23, 2013

This school has the "good ol' boy" mentality. There are many people that are racist and full of a number of prejudices. There are a couple of teachers that truly care and are Christians at heart, but for the most part these people are Christian in title and not deed. I would never recommend that anyone send their child here, especially if you have any moral compass and desire for your child to grow up well-rounded.

Posted June 30, 2013

Heritage has a rapidly changing reputation. I attended K-12 and can attest to the fact that it's elementary school is outstanding, at least when I attended. There wasn't one teacher who didn't care for every student. Secondary school, particularly high school, is a completely different story. While it provides a better education than most Indy schools, it is not spectacular. If you want you child to have a truly Christian education, home school them. If you want them to have a rigorous academic standard, send them to Brebeuf, International, Park Tudor, or University. This school is now a bunch of rich white kids who think they are much more important than they really are. If you want your kid to stay in Indiana for College, HCS should be fine. But, being one of the few graduates who has attended one of the top tier schools out East, I can attest to the fact that HCS does very little to prepare you for the workload, the relationships, and quite frankly the world outside the bubble. The quality of Heritage has been declining for years, be sure to keep your children away from the implosion.

Posted May 17, 2013

Our children have all attended Heritage for their education. A decade ago, this was the best buy in private schooling in Indiana. Great academics and Christian education. Caring teachers, good discipline, great environment. Sadly, this has changed -- dramatically. The grade school is still wonderful, and I would recomment it to anyone. The rest is now a train wreck. If our last child was not so close to graduation, we would leave the school. Parental involvement is discouraged, information is not shared except at the most superficial level, and then only as a fait acompli, a small clique of administrators/teachers/well-heeled donors runs the show and their kids are mysteriously selected for squads, societies and positions of student leadership at the expense of others equally deserving. One former teacher is doing hard time for inappropriate conduct with a student, and the school has never owned up to its role in allowing his students to be put at risk. A "circle the wagons" approach. Double standards apply to the conduct of its athletes. Hope it can turn around. There have been recent promises of change, but HCS has lost all credability with me. Other than K through 6, avoid.

Posted May 11, 2013

This is an excellent school that has created a great environment for my five children. The school provides a good mix of challenging academics and opportunities to participate in activities (sports, fine arts, etc.) with a supportive environment. I have also found help for my children with learning disabilities as well as enrichment for my gifted and talented students. I disagree with the leadership comment in the previous post. Improvements in leadership have been made in recent months and leadership communicates frequently with parents.

Posted April 23, 2013

Heritage Christian School. Not the school it was a few years ago. Less and less of an emphasis being placed on academics. It used to be a fine education in a Christian environment, now it's an average education in a Christian environment. Regret to say that I'm not sure that it's worth the money invested. Currently has a "my way or the high way" leadership approach (hence the lower parent involvement score) very inner-circle oriented. Definitely not for everyone.

Posted March 12, 2013

I am an alumni of Heritage Christian school and my daughter is in Kindergarten this year. I graduated in the late 90's and had no trouble getting into a top college and grad school. Now I am an Attorney in the city. I was not sheltered and HCS laid the foundation I needed to succeed. My daughter struggled through three different pre-K & K programs in Indy. At Heritage she immediately began to excel academically and find her pace. I will do everything I can to keep her enrolled in HCS as long as possible. My Mother taught here for a while and yes, since leaders within HCS come from differing denominations, they don't always agree, but they respectfully resolve their disagreements or if they cannot, they professionally choose another path. Through several changes I still see the same great school I attended made better by growing opportunities in expanding arts athletic and academic programs.

Posted November 5, 2012

Very unhappy with Spanish program and teacher quality/overall environment. I really question the genuineness of the people there.

Posted May 9, 2012

A good school. Strong history department, strong math department, above average English department, decent science department, good elective choices, terrible foreign language, and bible is not the best. Would not recommend sending your kids here for all 12 years. Kids have the ability to get into top schools, but for some reason, choose to go to small christian schools or state schools. Scholarships are generally what push kids to state schools. The complaints about being sheltered are occasionally true, a simple fix is to let your kids go places other than school and church, and talk to them.

Posted March 12, 2012

Both my children attended 8th&--- a couple of middle school teachers and staff members don't seem to want to "hear" out parent' concerns for discussion. Although most of staff was caring-- some staff members caused my family to go to another school ( that was higher rated). Very happy and content

Posted July 8, 2011

Excellent school! As a former teacher in one of the best school districts, we have no regrets sending our 3 children here!! The teacher-student ratios are better, the staff is vigilant to any parental concerns, SAT scores have ranked equal to higher in past few years, our kids love the biblical education and choose Heritage over the neighborhood school with friends each year! That says it all!!

Posted February 15, 2011

i disagree with 4 stars 5! the principal is nice and honest but stern in a good way to help guide kids in a path towards adult like leadership!

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1160

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

White 1 88% 74%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
English learners 1%N/AN/A
Source: Manually entered by school official

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Christian pre-schools
Lawrence Township Public Schools
Hamilton County Public Schools
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 98% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 2% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Indiana University
Purdue
Indiana Wesleyan
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:00 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:05 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 a.m.
  • Mrs Brenda Klingerman
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• College prep
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Internships
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Boy scouts
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Homework help/study buddy club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor