Bad
Good

All three of my kids attend Key learning and really enjoy being there. They are challenged acedemically and are in love with their teachers. I have a 2nd grader 3rd grader and a freshmen. Only I feel is missing is more sports or after school activites.

My school is really good. But they only have one down fall te high school. The high school is not that great I feel we don't get the opportunities real high schools get. So the teachers and principles ask why they can keep students in high school, because we are not treated like a real high. We get no benefits everything is surrounded around middle school.

My son made great progress at Key this past year. He started out not wanting to go to school, but during the middle of the year something flipped. He loves POD and flow. POD is an elective where students can study a subject (like dinosaurs, gardening or ukeleles in depth). Flow is a structured environment where he can learn about Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences and his strengths.

Make sure you know what you are getting into, before you send your child here. Academic rigor is non-existent. There is no grading system currently in place, so students have no desire to excel. No sports teams of any kind.

I am currently looking for another school for my 8 yr old son..The teacher and the assistant principal hate to admit when the parent is right and the facilty is wrong..They are more concerned on the nit picking then the true learning. I feel some of the teachers are there to get a paycheck and go home not really interested in the kids..And I am looking before my son is farther behind than he is now

There is an insufficient amount of quality teaching. A lack of a real grading system seriously hinders a student's ability to understand his or her progress. A year round schedule prevents students from having more time with friends in a traditional schedule. The school in general has gotten away from its core values of a unique,quality, and equal education for each and every student.

I'm a previous student of Key Learning Community and I have to say that I think the school did a lot more good than harm. Yes, we did have a massive amount of freedom, and a lot of students did take advantage of that freedom, which is unfortunate but also inevitable. Give them and inch they will take a mile. But the incorporation of all intelligences helped us to understand and focus on our strengths as well as work on things we weren't so good at in equal incriments. Like myself, I am a very musical person. In my traditional elementery school, music was a once a week, 30 minute 'special'. At Key, I was able to have music class every other day for 80 minutes. I loved it! The same goes for every class in the school. I would have no worries about sending my children there.

KLC is a well-intentioned school with dedicated faculty. They really believe their method is best. Between my 2 kids we spent 8 years there. My children gained self confidence from the experience, and the ability to give public presentations. However, the academics are sadly lacking. When we finally moved our kids to other schools, they were both far behind. My high school son had to take a full year of (non credit) remedial math and a study skills course to catch up. My younger son had to repeat 5th grade. Although there are positive aspects of the KLC/Gardner philosophy, KLC needs to adapt the program for the real world. Not every child is 'intrinsically motivated.' Some will simply slack off and work the system if there are no significant consequences. IPS should provide more oversight of KLC and change the program for the better. I wish them well.

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed with Key. I have a son that was in a gifted and talented program prior to attending Key that was looking forward to the challenge of their very unique facility. He found instead a hostile learning environment in the classroom where children are constantly misbehaving without true discipline. There are certain areas that have been a blessing for him-art, music, etc. have been wonderful with exceptional teachers. I am currently trying to find a private school(at my sons request).

I am very disappointed with the Key Learning Community program. I feel my children grades 10 and 3 aren't being challenged academically. Parents seeking a school for your children, I would recommend you keep looking!

Last modified Key Learning Community (9-12) is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.