Indianapolis, IN

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The mission of CFI is to develop a community of respectful, life long learners, who use inquiry, critical thinking, and problem solving skills, to be socially responsible contributors to a changing global society
September 22, 2012

Posted April 09, 2015
CFI is a good school. We initially had problems with a kindergarten teacher who seemed a bit dismissive and condescending, and did not seem fond of my kid or our family in general. I was so unhappy after the first year (K) that I had decided my kid was going to transfer to the Sidener Academy as soon as possible. First and second grade were a much different experience. The teacher had high expectations, but was and is a genuinely amazing lady who cared enough about my kid to fight to keep a space open for us so we wouldn't have to transfer if we did not want to. She contacted me regularly and I felt was someone I could trust 8 hours a day with someone more precious to me than my own life. There are going to be pros and cons to any school. There will be teachers we like better than others. Having had a kid there for 4 years, in spite of a rocky start, I have decided to send a 2nd kid there, because I have seen how much my first born has learned and grown. Most importantly, I have had the support of teachers and staff who have placed value on and been willing to work for the benefit of my child.

Posted February 27, 2015
Center for inquiry has provided our children and excellent learning environment that teaches diversity and communication and presentation skills in the international baccalaureate curriculum and has been a fabulous experience.The school also provides many learning opportunities through walking field trip's allowing the children to experience cultural attractions of downtown Indy. CFI 2 offers a challenging learning environment for students of all levels. They also now provide before and after care through the YMCA of Indianapolis.

Center for Inquiry School 2 1

Posted January 21, 2015
This school is a not ideal if you don't come from an affluent, white, professional background. Time and again, my son was discriminated against. He was bullied by the other children relentlessly his entire time in attendance. Instead of accommodating his disability, this alleged "A+" school, forced him to spend each and every day in the office with children who were disruptive or had behavioral issues. He was verbally abused by a teacher in front of the entire class. His teacher showed a clear dislike and open resentment towards him while giving preferential treatment to students whose parents made more money. The latest principal, Mrs hunley is nothing more than a plastic figure head. Her career ambitions are clearly of utmost concern to her. Not helping students who are different, or have any sort of challenge. My son now attends another school and is flourishing because his teacher actually takes the time to work with him. In summation, if you're the sort of person who comes from money, and you believe that your child should be given every advantage, yet you don't want to waste your precious cash on a private school this is just the place for you.

Posted November 04, 2014
CFI has an incredible family community that work together to provide the students and staff what they need to educated and grow amazing young people. Education and community service are strong tenets.

Center for Inquiry School 2 4

Posted September 19, 2013
My children spent their first early yearsat this school while we lived downtown. Unfortunately we moved away from the district, but we have not forgotten how influential this school has been for us. CFI is a gem in the IPS and entire Indianapolis-area. The education is best described as creative, worldly, and non-conventional. It is an inquiry-based education, and allows children to seek out what interests them and does not judge, but emphasizes a true learning experience. It is not a one-size-fits all approach. We moved to Zionsville, which is one of the best school systems in Indiana (in theory). However, I have found that the education is very traditional, not very flexible, very competitive, and over-crowded. They also do not offer foreign language within the school day, something I feel is very important. That option is available before school, at a very high price. In addition, CFI is very open-door and allows for the entire community to be involved. We have not had that experience here, and miss the opportunity to really get to know teacher and parents. Improvement areas: physical surrounding (no green space) and limited resources because of IPS funding, etc.

Posted September 03, 2013
This school is perhaps one of the best school in IPS. My child has flourished and became a true inquirer since she began attending CFI. I would recommend this school to any parent.

Posted May 14, 2013
CFI is a jewel in the IPS crown. The curriculum is challenging and engaging. The 5th grade IB exhibition was amazing. Our daughter and her friends put so much thought and effort into their issues, I was blown away with the things they tackled. The teachers at this school are phenominal. They are responsive if there are questions or concerns and they know the kids really well. I've also been impressed with Mrs. Hunley.

Posted April 23, 2013
As a parent who sends his children to CFI, I can state without hesitation that the school has a wonderful sense of community. Communication with parents is outstanding, through online systems, parent-teacher conferences, and speedy replies to emails from our childrens' teachers. Every morning our children are greeted with smiling faces and kind words. We enjoy talking with other parents as we pick up and drop off our children. In regards to class size, I found the sizes to be no larger than some of the private schools we looked at, and in some instances, they were smaller. The principal is new, and may seem formal at first, but throughout the year she has proven to be very warm and caring, sitting with the kids during convocations and reassuring one of my children when he had a hard time saying goodbye to us one day. Our kids look up to her and love her visits to the classroom! I am very happy with our children's experience at CFI.

Posted October 02, 2012
I have been extremely lucky to work at CFI for 12 years. Throughout my time, I have been supported by amazing colleagues, administrators, parents, and community partners. The children I serve are passionate about learning and community service. CFI is more than a school, it is a family.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted September 22, 2012

Center for Inquiry School 2
725 North New Jersey Street, Indianapolis, IN  46202
Last modified Center for Inquiry School 2 is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Center for Inquiry School 2 Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top