Public charter
Indianapolis, IN
Students enrolled: 1,027
Before care: Yes

Posted August 21, 2014
My daughter has been coming here since 1st grade, she loves it here, as do I. The teachers really take the time to know all of the children at this school. If your child is struggling, they provide extra tutoring after school to help so your child doesn't get behind. The staff is wonderful. The only thing I don't like is they do not have their own lunchroom, they use the gym, but it is a small school, which means more one on one with academics, so I overlook it. If you ever have issues with other students being unkind, this school doesn't overlook it. They enforce good behavior policies and really take the time to help the children succeed! I am so lucky to have my child in a great school. I know she will have a higher rate of success in her life because she has a school that cares!

Posted August 14, 2013
We are starting our third year at ICS and are very happy. I am pleased with my sons reading and math skills. The teachers are very accessible to the parents. The elementary students get physical education everyday, which is nice. Communication could be improved on the extra curriricular activities, we miss out because we only hear about activities at the last minute.

Posted June 20, 2013
My oldest son Elijah, is entering the 6th grade in Irvington Community School system. We came to Ics school for 1st grade and been there ever since. I have a 4th grader, 3rd grader and my youngest son is entering kindergarden. I also take care of my littke brother who is 7th grade. I am proud to have my children in Irvington Community School. They are truly committed in taking the time to make sure everyone is where they should be personally and if a student needs extra help, they make sure that need is met. They also have an amazing Music & Spanish programs. My kids have learned and performed whole songs in Spanish at their Christmas & Spring concerts as young as 2nd grade!

Posted March 29, 2013
This is our third year at the ICS system, and we have been very happy here. It is what we needed. Of the things I love most are the cultures: art, music and Spanish from kindergarten on up, and phys-ed daily for the gradeschool and every other day for middle school. Study hall at the end of the day allows for homework, club involvement (gardening, math pentathalon, student council, etc) or free tutoring, if needed. My children love this school and come home much happier with the day being rounded out by cultures, daily exercise and clubs. My children are performing well academically, one being in the academic honor society and the others testing well to very well on the state required exams. I guess I take this for granted, considering my top "likes" for this school are geared towards happy children! ICS offers K-12 which very important to me in looking at charter schools as an option. We have been in local township schools, rural public, private and homeshool finding what didn't work and ICS works for us. Long year, nice breaks. Dependable people here. Good discipline and tone. I highly recommend it. It has been enjoyable to be a part of this school and its' community pride.

Posted March 26, 2013
My oldest daughter has been at this school from Kindergarten through 3rd grade and I have been very pleased with the teachers, communication, and close-knit community. Although there isn't AP curriculum, when it was discovered that my daughter knew the 1st grade curriculum she was skipped into the 2nd grade half-way through the year. The teachers made the transition successful, especially since my daughter is very shy. My only wish would be to see more diversity in the study body and teacher staff.

Posted January 18, 2013
The younger years - we asked for additional reading materials (book list etc) for our son and this was never really provided nor seemed to be heavily emphasized, as a result he was behind in reading until 2nd grade. The teachers work hard to work with your student but you have to go to bat for them if they struggle or have special issues such as ADD. I have found heavy communication at the beginning of the year is helpful. Overall it is a pretty decent school smart teachers and a principle who cares. My advice to the school is a heavier focus on reading at the younger level would be appriciated (including how parents can help).

Irvington Community School 2

Posted October 11, 2012
We expected great things, and instead have found this school to be mediocore. I believe my child is receiving a better ACADEMIC education than he/she would in a local public school, but they are FAILING in many other areas. My child's teacher left 2 months into the school year. There has been NO consistency for my child. ICES does not follow their own safety procedures, such as checking parent/guardian identification when releasing a child early in the day. We do not recieve pertinent information until the very last minute, and as a result we lose out on many opportunities to interact with our child at school functions. The school sent us an inaccurate bill that was TEN times what we really owed. I had to make multiple calls in order to correct this. I wanted to address a complaint with the principal, but her name and email are not clearly stated on the website. Overall, I am very dissappointed. I wish I could afford to send my child to the local private school, which is said to be excellent.

Posted August 29, 2012
New to the elementary school and have been very pleased so far. Both my kids love it.

Irvington Community School 1

Posted February 17, 2012
This school was supposed to offer a better alternative to local schools, but has financially struggled with poor management in recent years and only managed to be mediocre. What started well has slowly turned into a smoke and mirrors act.

Posted December 02, 2011
A 720 student public charter school, grades K-12 High academic standards. AP courses in high school mandatory. Student to teacher ratio16:1. Lottery held in March of each year.

Irvington Community School
6705 East Julian Avenue, Indianapolis, IN  46219
Last modified Irvington Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Irvington Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top