Public charter
Indianapolis, IN
Before care: Yes

Christel House Academy - South 1

Posted July 31, 2014
The highschool really needs to be separate from elementary and middle school. I am so sick of seeing the older students kissing in the hallways and hanging out at the play grounds making out and hugged up. I dont need this to influence my younger children.
5 people found this helpful

Christel House Academy - South 2

Posted September 19, 2013
This school needs improvement. Bullying is out of control and no staff available or willing to do anything about it. As a parent I have tried for years to call attention to the problem and can not figure out if they are overwhelmed or underwhelmed. If sports is important to you they do not have a good program in place.
5 people found this helpful

Posted February 04, 2013
Christel House Academy is an excellent learning environment for all children! I love where I work. Yes, everyday is faced with ups and downs but at the end of the day, the impact we teachers are making on student lives is incredible. Every student here is my student and it is wonderful to see them grow and to see their families grow. I love checking in with students I had years prior to see how they are applying their new learning to their everyday lives. We have a solid structure at CHA that provides teachers a straight path to administration. I love that teachers have a voice and the administration has an open door policy and makes themselves available to hear new ideas on how to continue taking our school to the next level. We continue to grow and I'm excited to see CHA continue to make a positive difference in the students that call this place home.

Posted January 26, 2013
Christel House Academy is not an ordinary school. When I compare my experiences as an educator in other schools, there simply is nothing that comes close to what we have built through hard work and dedication at this school. We have one unified and specific focus and that is our students. We have purposely and thoughtfully put into place specific programs and people to make sure no child slips through the cracks. Our teachers believe all kids can learn and we pride ourselves in implementing innovative, cutting edge instructional strategies that work. Every day I see a level of dedication from the staff that is unprecedented. I couldn t be more proud to be a part of this team and I am excited about what the future holds for our students.

Christel House Academy - South 3

Posted November 14, 2012
While the school possess an external reputation for all around excellence, I rate this an average school. The quality of elementary education is excellent. However, the middle and high schools face a revolving door of teachers and academic approaches. The staff generally feels overloaded and unheard on issues of greatest concern to them. Ambiguous and situation-based approaches to discipline frustrate students and teachers alike. Staff and students consistently rank "respect" as being low within the school. Over the 2011 summer, a student showed me Facebook posts from other (high school) students inviting them to come to CHA, as it was the "party school." We will offer only the equivalent to an "Honors" degree with few if any waivers granted. This puts students with disabilities at a particular disadvantage. And, while compliant with state law and staffed with very competent educators, the special education department at CHA is constrained to fairly basic services and options for students with the highest needs. Overall, the general view of administration is that CHA is a school of choice, and parents should enroll their child understanding what this means.
3 people found this helpful

Posted May 12, 2010
I am in the 7th grade. This do reaal good in sports. I play b-ball, volleyball, pep-squad, baseball, and those are just some of the sports. I play the violin. Our music program has grew alot, everyone is involved and we all have fun. There is not alot of bullying everyone is friends. There have been a few more fights this year, then any other. They were all resolved. .I have went to this school since the second year it opened. I have saw alot of changes from different principles, to more sports, and a better music program. I think this school has grown alot over the years. The teachers are really involved, and want to get to know every student. It is a second home and everyone is like family.

Christel House Academy - South 0

Posted May 12, 2010
i love this school ! Teachers, students, activities, and more are absolutely wonderful. There have many great changes. And now a high school? Way to go CHA Eagles!

Christel House Academy - South 3

Posted January 20, 2010
As a parent that has been at the school since it's 2nd year I have seen it through thick and thin. I have seen programs grow and watched them fall apart through multiple principal changes. I loved the school when Dr. Thompson was there. She kept the kids on track, they were respectful and followed school rules. The first year she was gone the bullying went to a level I had never seen before. Standards for the children are much lower and kids get away with not following school uniform, sagging pants and continued bullying. Most of the teachers are amazing and dedicated. It seems, especially in JR. Academy, that the turn over rate for teachers has been due to unruley students-some teachers leaving after 1 day to a few weeks on the job. CHA is a good school just has a few wrinkles to iron out.
4 people found this helpful

Posted October 16, 2009

Christel House Academy - South 0

Posted October 08, 2009
Teachers and staff rock, students are committed and the parents are involved. I also think going from the worst ISTEP scores in the state (2002) to one of the best testing schools (2009) is a very impressive feat!

Christel House Academy - South
2717 South East Street, Indianapolis, IN  46225
Last modified Christel House Academy - South is a Charter school that serves grades K-11
Christel House Academy - South Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top