Flanner House Elementary School (Charter) 3

Posted May 08, 2013
My daughter currently attends this school and unfortunately, despite the family-oriented environment, its historical significance in the black community, and the efforts of the teaching staff, my daughter will not return in the fall. This school has SO much potential but the administration doesn't seem to have enough faith in the students to push the envelope. They are complacent with mediocrity. They could do so much better. Additionally, there is a lack of technology and state-of-the-art learning. They are VERY behind with the times. There seems to be no growth. My daughter has had EXCELLENT teachers, thankfully, for KG and 1st grade, but they were so limited in what they could offer the students in their classes. I hope that things get better for Flanner House but I can't take that chance with my daughters education and future.

Posted July 09, 2009
My first impression about this school was no I'm not going to put my kids in this school because of it being in an urban location. Never judge a book by its cover. My 4yr daughter started pre-k late in February 2009. My daughter can be stubborn at times and I was afraid she wasn t going to catch up. Before attending I would sit down and try to teach my daughter but she didn t want to learn. The teacher said my daughter is going to be far behind the other kids. But she will be willing to work with her closely. However after going there for a few months she has learned so much in that little time frame. And I was just amazed on how the teachers are so dedicated to the children. My daughter loves this school and the teachers. Flanner House is a wonderful school.

Posted June 18, 2009

Posted May 04, 2009
My children have been at Flanner House for one semester. In this semester I have seen nothing but growth. They were in Pike Township schools where politics ran rampant and the teachers don't take the time to help the students. My 10 year old had constant complaints from his teacher. She actually stated that 'she was scared of him.' Since he's been at Flanner house his grades have improved tremendously. His attitude for school is one of love. He can't wait to get to school. All of my children have wonderful, caring teachers who go the extra mile for each one of them. They teach the kids good old fashion values and manners. They kids are very polite and courteous. I love this school. My only regret is that I didn't enroll them sooner!

Flanner House Elementary School (Charter) 0

Posted March 27, 2008
Being the mother of one of the teachers at Flanner House, I see all the hard work that goes on after school hours. She goes the extra mile to do the 'special things' for her class. I have gotten to know a couple of the other teachers and they are all very much dedicated to teaching their students with love and understanding. No matter what time of day I go over there, the students are very courteous and polite.

Posted August 23, 2007
I have been with Flanner House for 5 years and I believe the best part about Flanner House is that everyone is like a family. We take pride in helping our students succeed by any means possible. If this means coming in early or staying late, then we will. The teachers here are self driven and motivated at what they do best... teach!

Posted August 23, 2007
The teachers are actively involved and always looking to help. My child was struggling in math, but the teacher was more than willing to stay after school and provide additional help.

Posted May 10, 2005
My children have been at Flanner House for 3 years now. In this time I have seen a tremendous change in their grades, behavior and most of all ATTITUDE! Flanner House is like a family. If you are not at school or something is going on with a student.Thefaculty is caring and concerned. So many schools are concerned only about academics. Flanner House is concerned with the TOTAL STUDENT! As a child I had many problems in township schools but no one noticed nor cared. I wish Flaner House would have been there when I needed a school community. Flanner House was just given the most prestigious award of best elementary school among charters,due to small class sizes,dedicated teachers and support staff, and the curriculum. The mostly Afican- American children learn to feel good about thier heritage, thier skin and culture. I AM PLEASED!

Flanner House Elementary School (Charter)
2424 Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Street, Indianapolis, IN  46208
Last modified Flanner House Elementary School (Charter) is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flanner House Elementary School (Charter) Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top