Decatur Central High School 4

Posted May 01, 2014
DCHS has tons of opportunities for kids to take that will get them ready for college, but you have to take the time to complete the courses, they are hard. I have had the best teachers in this school other than when i attended 4th grade. They are caring and if you take time out of your schedule they will help you. If you think your child shouldn't go here because of "bullying" I see no reason why. We have the best students who try to get a long with everyone, its the DCHS way. The best time of the year is football season, the whole school gets together to cheer on the hawks. I will always be proud to go to and to have gone here when I am older.

Decatur Central High School 1

Posted February 23, 2014
I've watched my child fall from being an honor roll student at Valley Mills to mediocre at the middle school to failing at Decatur High School. I have been very proactive in attempts to be the voice of change in parent/staff communication. I've fought to get a better homework/student/teacher program to replace Skyward, which is utterly worthless. I have been mocked and made fun of by teachers in my child's class, in front of my child and other students, for my efforts. I have tried everything I can to make positive changes for 4 very long years as I've watched my child slowly regress in this school system. The staff is jaded, immature, apathetic, and untrained in making good use of their resources. Its literally sad that a school system is allowed to continue to operate at this level. The leadership appears to be overwhelmed and unable to make changes where needed.

Posted September 23, 2013
This school has one of the best teachers ever! They really focus on the students and them with everything they teach!

Posted August 17, 2013
It's a good school. It's really good schools that helps you learn about journalism, art, technology, communication, and much more. It's should be really good school for people who look forward to be successful in their future.

Posted August 17, 2013
The teachers are awesome and i like the way they teach.i think its one if the best school for students.

Decatur Central High School 1

Posted November 26, 2012
I've been going to Decatur for my whole life. I'm currently a junior. I'm failing because of the teachers here. Most of them do not even teach. They usually just had us packets or paper work to work on the rest the class. This semester I only have two teachers who actually stand up and teach. I would not recommend this school.

Decatur Central High School 3

Posted April 08, 2012
I am curently a sophmore at Decatur Central High school and I have been attending school in this twnship for around 8 years with many of the same kids my entire life. In Decatur Central there are many students who do not care about their future enough to attempt to get good grades or try at anything, this is the reason why our test scores are so low. Many of the familys in this district are low income familys. Drugs, sex, smokeing, and pregnancy are huge issues at this school that continue to worsin day by day. Despite these many problems... I have yet to see another school with students who care for each other as much as the student body at DCHS! Decatur Central has a very tight nit family atmosphere with students who always have each others backs. This school does not have a problem with forming clics or discluting people. DCHS has outstanding arts departments and outstanding athletics, despite their horrible accademics. The staff members at this school form a very personal bond with their students and strive to help them not only in accademics but also with life problems. I am proud to be a Decatur Central Hawk!!

Posted April 16, 2011
My wife and I were fortunate enough to meet two of the teachers, the principal and 40 Junior students at Disney World while waiting for the Parade of Lights to begin. The program that brings 40 Junior students to Disney each year is a wonder and gives students opportunities to learn and have fun at the happiest place on earth. The teachers and principal we met obviously were well liked and respected. We saw real communication and felt that these were the kind of teachers any parent would want teaching their kids. The principal had an open, honest and friendly relationship with the students and knew them all by name. The students were friendly, respectful and well behaved, not something you can usually say about 40 teen agers in one place at one time. It was the pleasantest experience we had at Disney and we wish the teachers, students and principal well. John and Jayne Kelly

Posted December 15, 2009

Decatur Central High School 0

Posted October 03, 2009
I teach at DCHS's alternative school called the Decatur Enrichment Center. At least 1/4 of the graduating class graduated because of our school! These students would most likely have dropped out without our program -- some have full time jobs and are the sole support for their families, some have life threatening health conditions, many have children of their own. Most of our kids have one parent in prison or dead and their families struggle with drug addiction, suicide, murder, and everything in between. For many different reasons, traditional schooling was not successful with our kids and so this creative project-based program exists to serve them. We are so proud of our superintendent, Don Stinson, for founding the school and our program coordinator, John Pietrzak who goes above and beyond for our students who are really struggling in life. This program is truly amazing and runs on a shoe string budget with four teachers teaching every high school subject for our kids.

Decatur Central High School
5251 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis, IN  46221
Last modified Decatur Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Decatur Central High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews.