Bad
Good

Southport 6th Grade Academy 2

Posted May 06, 2013
My son got a 1 day suspension for dozing off in class. He has never had this problem and instead of the teacher having him get up to revive his body they just suspended him. This is not a reason for suspending a kid from school.

Southport 6th Grade Academy 4

Posted September 18, 2010
So far this year, my son seems to be having a good year. I think the school has caring, good quality teachers. I do wish the kids had the opportunity to change into gym clothes for phys. ed.--my older children were wearing gym clothes in earlier grades (same school system). I dislike the uniform policy and I doubt that it is more effective than the dress code previously used by the district. My son is somewhat overweight and it has been difficult and more costly to find him good fitting clothes. Despite what people have been led to believe, uniform companies (= the fashion industry), create clothes, incl. "husky" & "slim" to fit the "average" build. I rarely consider making my kids special clothes now, or asking relatives for fun clothes as gifts, since 80% of the time, they can't wear them.

Posted November 01, 2008
I am a teacher at Southport 6th Grade Academy. I am very happy to be a teacher at such a caring school. I love the dress code, which makes all the students look presentable and ready to do their job...learn from the education we are providing! We have 5 academic teams that spell-out LEARNS: Loyalty, Excellence, Ambition, Respect, Noble and Success. Success is comprised of our special classes: art, PE, music (orchestra, band, choir), Spanish, and special needs classes. Our students join us from 6 elementary schools on the Southport side of the district. Overall, the students do a nice job combining and making new friendships. Our school enables a great tansition from elementary school to Southport Middle School, which is right next door. I can attest that the staff is constantly meeting to look over our students' test scores and focus in on the academic areas where they are weak.

Southport 6th Grade Academy 4

Posted October 24, 2008
I'm in the advanced classes at Southport 6th grade Academy and to tell you the truth i see know difference between what I learn and what kids in the lower classes learn. their is a good part about this schools academics and that is that they offer Academic Pursuit which basically is The Brain Game. P.S. The only reason i know about Academic Pursuit is because well I'm on the team.

Posted September 17, 2008
So far my son loves this school. The teachers seem wonderful and caring. They have alot of activities, and I'm all for the dress code. Going to this school made the transition easy. The principal seems stearn and involved. I like that. Mrs. Roxann Pattison

Southport 6th Grade Academy 1

Posted October 16, 2007
I have just left the Southport 6th grade Academy for a new school. It was a huge disapointment to me. Last year our teachers said all of the teachers were going to be great, and we would love it there. I disagree with them. My teachers were horrible. Before 6th grade I loved school, but the 6th grade Academy made me dispise it. I do not suggest sending your kids there.

Posted November 23, 2006
I admire the southport sixth grade academy I go there and its beautiful! The teachers are all really nice! we have to wear khakis and a polo shirt but it makes us all look very nice and mature.the music block is fun you have orchestra , band , choir , and discovery.discovery is not music but it's during the music block.They teach spanish and art you would have them for nine weeks at a time then you have gym which you have for two nine week peirods.You have four teams loyalty, ambition , noble ,and success .It depends what team your on for your schedule. well anyway southport sixth grade academy is a great school and I love it !!!

Southport 6th Grade Academy
5715 South Keystone Avenue, Indianapolis, IN  46227
Last modified Southport 6th Grade Academy is a Public school that serves grade 6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.