A49c6472f2f52c540cbff936358dd42a71aab62e-130

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5511085 3

Posted April 07, 2014
I hve watched this school go from exceptional to average. I hve 3 scholars in Tindley schools. I love the level of academic rigor, love that they teach kids personal accountability, very disappointed in teacher attrition. "Do not teach/wrk at Tindley" is the talk around town. "You will get fired in 3 wks" is the running joke! Teachers are not always dismissed due to underperformance. It's Tindley's way or the highway regardless of your ability to provide good academic instruction. It's the NORM for scholars to have 3-4 different teachers per year in more than one subject. 85-90% of the teachers are 1st yr TFA'ers who are there to fulfill their contract. However after a grueling indoctrination many realize they want out! This has lead to the decline of academic instruction. Yet the level of rigor and expectation is still high. This means a lot of frustrated kids who are not performing because they haven't been taught. Admin solution scholars are made to stay at school until 5pm then 7pm and mandatory Saturday & Sunday school. I have one graduating and one entering as a freshman. Not sure if we are staying. Quality teachers are the backbone of any school without them...

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5409068 1

Posted January 13, 2014
Go the other way. There are so many other college prep school, that not only care about the success and reputation of their school but also about our youth. Young men everyday are subjected overbearing administrators, who have proven time and time again to care more about their school's reputation than helping to turn around young men and women who may need time to adjust to an accelerated culture, connection with a mentor and/or tutoring. Tindley is quick to find a way to get your child out and will leave you desperate and hopeless. Don't be discouraged and if your child has even the mildest behavior problems run as far as you can from this school. As a parent, there's no avenue to connect unless you belong to what seems like a "clique" or group of families that all know one another. Those are also the families who are helped to succeed if added help and support are needed. I am unsure how this school has a 9 rating, when very few educators in the community respect its administrators. The teachers are great, but get them alone and even they don't agree with the fa ade Tindley projects.

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5372121 5

Posted November 30, 2013
I am a 2009 graduate of Tindley and after seeing reviews of my Alma Mater was intrigued to write a review. Tindley is and was the best decision that I could have made at the age of 13. It not only helped me with my educational goals but also helped with becoming a productive citizen. I graduated with honors and attended an excellent university, where I graduated ON TIME. Yes, Tindley is hard and challenges the minds of its students, but that's what the name says accelerated.Sure Tindley may not be top in the city for athletics, but from its opening in 2004 I can say the school has come a pretty far way. To see parents complain about this and that is mind boggling, you knew what it was when you decided to enroll your child. Did you really expect us to be #1 in eeverything. The focus is clear and that is education. For teachers that have complained I believe the mission of the school speaks for itself. This is not a school you arrive while the students are arriving and leave when they leave. This is a school where you are supposed to care about the students academically, willing to help in any way you can. Even if that means coming early and leaving late. Tindley is a great school!

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5364911 1

Posted November 20, 2013
Tindley Renaissance is unstable with a VERY high turnover rate for teachers. Expect your child to be suspended for minor infractions. Expect the teachers and staff not to care about anything or anyone other than Tindley.

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5301422 1

Posted November 11, 2013
Tindley has become very unfocused within the last two years and taking my child out of this abusive unstable environment was the best thing we could have ever done. My niece is in their new elementary school and has had 4 teachers since the August. The Principal is a former Music Teacher with no experience as a principal and suspended 4/5 year olds for falling to sleep...Really???

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5163334 2

Posted November 08, 2013
Pulling our child from Tindley was the best decision my husband and I could have ever made. If you want your child to have the best overall high school experience, DO NOT send them to Tindley. While I appreciate the accelerated curriculum, they have failed to realize that "college bound" students have more than just good grades and nice test scores. They are well rounded individuals! Colleges look at whether or not you have extra curricular activities, what commities you may have been involved with, community service etc. Tindleys rigirous schedule and ridiculous expectations don't even allow the kids to have these opportunites! My final thoughts, if you want your child to have a quality education, challenging curriculum AND the opportunity to express themselves through creative arts, sports and other extra curricular activities, try Herron High School. They have a great curriculum, PLENTY of extra activities and clubs, and are ranked in the top 5% of high schools in the USA! They also have the warm, family-friendly environment that Tindley DESPEREATE LACKS!! My child is now at Herron and has never been happier....doing well in school WITHOUT the stress.

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5170187 2

Posted June 19, 2013
This review is mainly for teachers: I taught at Tindley Prep and Tindley Accelerated this past Spring 2013 semester, and I knew in March that I didn't want to return to the school in the fall. I turned in my letter of resignation shortly before the semester ended. The mission of Tindley looks good on paper, but the reality of school culture is another story. The demands of its teachers (9-10 hour workdays minimum, three weeks of all-day summer "professional development," giving up evenings & weekends for students, etc.) are like no other school I've seen. The rigorous expectations leave teachers feeling burnt out, frustrated, and unappreciated. At Tindley Prep, discipline was inconsistent and students who were caught with drug paraphernalia or defacing school property were allowed back to the school after a few weeks. The bottom line is that the turnover rate of teachers at Tindley is incredibly high; it's a miracle if a teacher stays more than a year or two.

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5162239 2

Posted June 11, 2013
This school is very focused on education and discipline, and those two qualities are what attracted me to enroll my daughter here for 6th grade... However, this school is very inconvenient for working parents (who work day shift jobs). Most of the time the students stay in school until 5pm, and school is dismissed every Friday @ 12pm. This is a burden for working parents to try and find someone to pick their child up from school! Also, the summer school hours are HORRIBLE!!! I was told my daughter had to attend mandatory summer school for Math from 11:35am-2:35pm daily!? Those are prime hours that parents are at work... I would get fired from my job just from trying to get her to/from school! I would not reccomend this school for working parents that have a 9-5 job. Administration could care less about parents that have "real" jobs.

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 5102105 2

Posted May 30, 2013
It's been a bumpy ride at Tindley. On one hand I like the focus on academic achievement, but I question whether there is the right combination of teachers and administrators to pull it off. I don't think they are good at classroom management and too much emphasis is put on putting children out rather that helping students improve. For the sake of all of those who have entrusted their children to Tindley, I hope they get this figured out, soon.

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School 4049254 5

Posted May 28, 2013
My student has attended Tindley since 6th grade and he will be a junior this summer. I am very confused by the number of complaints from teachers from within this school and caution parents from allowing these views to effect their decision. One thing I have learned is that teacher who do not perform at the high standards that Tindley expects of its teachers are asked to leave. I wonder if the listed complaints are from a teacher who was asked to leave. Tindley is not for everyone. It is a strong academic school that takes no-excuses related to behavior. My son has been sent to the office and suspended once over trival things that at many other schools would not have even resulted in a second look from a teacher. But this is what I love about this school. Teachers are able to focus on teaching because of fewer distractions. Students are enrolled in Honors classes across the board; most colleges look at AP and Honors classes as the same thing. Students who are not prepared are retained until they can succeed at the level, isn;t that what schools are supposed to do? If you expect your child to be passed on regardless of ability, take them somewhere else.

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Charles A Tindley Accelerated School
3960 Meadows Dr, Indianapolis, IN  46205
Charles A Tindley Accelerated School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews.