Herron High School 4

Posted May 31, 2014
I've been at Herron since my freshman year and I'm now currently a junior (soon-to-be senior). There are some aspects of Herron that I love and some aspects that I hate. Firstly, the majority of the teachers are all great at what they do and are very knowledgable in their subject. All of the teachers I have had strive to make us better students, as well as better people. I think that students who complain about the rules haven't experienced the "real world". I currently have a job so I understand the importance of a uniform and being on time. Herron is trying to prepare us to be above-average citizens. I do, however, think that the way the administration goes about giving demerits to students is disrespectful. The administrators strut around the school pointing out any minor flaws and then make a point to embarrass the student for it. Also when it comes to teasing or bullying, I've noticed that it's been towards religious people most of the time. I understand that everyone has different opinions, but on multiple occasions, I've seen religious people be criticized and teased for what they believe. Herron prides itself on its equality, but from what I've seen, it hasn't been so.

Herron High School 1

Posted May 11, 2014
You get in trouble for everything here and it's ridiculous. I hate it here! Ugh

Posted April 28, 2014
Herron is a wonderful school with top notch faculty and administration, a safe environment and a multitude of opportunities for children to grow into world class citizens within a culture of acceptance and openness.

Herron High School 1

Posted April 15, 2014
I have been going here for a year and cannot wait to leave. While the school is very academically challenging and is college preparatory, they have some classes with a "one size fits all" idea. Some classes such as Math and Latin have options, but English and Social Studies don't unless you're taking AP. The students can be welcoming and friendly, but there are cliques here which they claim to not have. The teachers say they help, but if you need it its always "Come to office hours". They need to know that students have jobs, buses to catch and personal things to do and sometimes being at school at 8 am or staying until 5 is not an option! This school is also very strict. Students must be following every rule at every minute or they will be given a demerit. 3 demerits and you've got a 2 hour detention session on Friday afternoon. As stated, STUDENTS HAVE LIVES. Also next year(2014-2015) will require students to wear $40 pants with a small Herron Logo on it. Not everyone have $40 or more to throw around. Not many students even get wrote up for uniforms! Unless you have a socialite or overly academic kid, don't choose Herron! They may seem accepting but that's just a good facade.

Posted April 01, 2014
My younger sister went here and it really is such an awesome school. She would've struggled at other schools but the diverse and unique atmosphere of this school really helped. She graduated, is in the military and in college.

Posted September 10, 2013
My daughter would have been "lost" in the local high school with its huge population. In Herron, the teachers and staff know her and care about her, and she has more friends than she ever! In her second year at Herron, her self-confidence is soaring! She willingly works hard, and the extra help available for all of her courses in the form of "office hours" is wonderful. The downtown environment is actually a huge plus as well! I encourage other parents who want a safe, smaller, and caring learning situation for their children to consider Herron. We are very pleased and would not choose to go anywhere else!

Posted September 08, 2013
This is a great school where you can be different and a lot of support from teachers

Posted August 14, 2013
My school is five-star school: with committed faculty, visionary administration, and supportive board members, our school is poised to do great things this year and in the future.

Posted August 13, 2013
Amazing, passionate teachers who love students and sharing knowledge with them. Students learn not only from the classroom, but also from participating actively in the downtown community in which the school is located. It's a win win situation for the school, students, and the neighborhood.

Posted August 13, 2013
Herron is an amazing school. The students at this school are held to high standards of achievement and behavior. This is truly a school for scholars. If you are not aware, Herron received an A for this past year from the Department of Education. I would recommend Herron to any parent seeking to send their students to an environment of learning, welcomed diversity, and encouragement for excellence.

Herron High School
110 East 16th Street, Indianapolis, IN  46202
Last modified Herron High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12
Herron High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews.