700 students|Herron Charter

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

They get some bad ones now and then but they don't last long usually not even a semester before getting fired.

Develops character: Agree

They hold the student accountable and not the parents for everything from homework to arriving on school on time, unlike many schools.

I love this school, however Latin should be an elective as students should have the option to choose what language they would like to learn. Personally I would like to learn Spanish, which is not even offered, as it is needed for nearly every job you can get. Additionally the electives are very limited to the arts; theatre, painting, music. Having more electives would be great, other than that this school is awesome.

Herron has been wonderful! This is my son's first year (9th grade) at Herron and he already feels he is part of a great community of learners. The teachers at Herron really do care about each student. They challenge students appropriately, but guide them while encouraging independence. My son has become involved in many before and after school clubs and activities. They offer so many that it was difficult for him to choose. The times offered before, during, and after school to receive extra help and complete classwork really lightens students' loads at home. I'm sending all my children to Herron!

My daughter would have been thrown away , if not for Herron high school. After being pushed into algebra as an eighth grader at her public MS/HS, she was failing in algebra before she even got to high school. Herron had her tested and we had our first case conference, all within two weeks. She went on to take four years of math, take many AP and college courses, and graduate with honors . She is beginning her Junior year at Ball State University, studying film. Herron taught her SO much more than math... They literally saved her life. Cannot thank them enough!

Herron High School has offered my son and my host son from Mexico a great learning environment upheld by character development and values. The faculty are second to none. They knew my son's strengths and areas for growth.

I've been at Herron since my freshman year and I'm now currently a junior (soon-to-be senior). There are some aspects of Herron that I love and some aspects that I hate. Firstly, the majority of the teachers are all great at what they do and are very knowledgable in their subject. All of the teachers I have had strive to make us better students, as well as better people. I think that students who complain about the rules haven't experienced the "real world". I currently have a job so I understand the importance of a uniform and being on time. Herron is trying to prepare us to be above-average citizens. I do, however, think that the way the administration goes about giving demerits to students is disrespectful. The administrators strut around the school pointing out any minor flaws and then make a point to embarrass the student for it. Also when it comes to teasing or bullying, I've noticed that it's been towards religious people most of the time. I understand that everyone has different opinions, but on multiple occasions, I've seen religious people be criticized and teased for what they believe. Herron prides itself on its equality, but from what I've seen, it hasn't been so.

You get in trouble for everything here and it's ridiculous. I hate it here! Ugh

Herron is a wonderful school with top notch faculty and administration, a safe environment and a multitude of opportunities for children to grow into world class citizens within a culture of acceptance and openness.

I have been going here for a year and cannot wait to leave. While the school is very academically challenging and is college preparatory, they have some classes with a "one size fits all" idea. Some classes such as Math and Latin have options, but English and Social Studies don't unless you're taking AP. The students can be welcoming and friendly, but there are cliques here which they claim to not have. The teachers say they help, but if you need it its always "Come to office hours". They need to know that students have jobs, buses to catch and personal things to do and sometimes being at school at 8 am or staying until 5 is not an option! This school is also very strict. Students must be following every rule at every minute or they will be given a demerit. 3 demerits and you've got a 2 hour detention session on Friday afternoon. As stated, STUDENTS HAVE LIVES. Also next year(2014-2015) will require students to wear $40 pants with a small Herron Logo on it. Not everyone have $40 or more to throw around. Not many students even get wrote up for uniforms! Unless you have a socialite or overly academic kid, don't choose Herron! They may seem accepting but that's just a good facade.

Last modified Herron High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.