Indiana Math & Science Academy - West

Charter | K-12 | 541 students

We are best known for well-known, exemplary school

Living in Indianapolis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $99,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $660.

Sweep tile

Posted November 21, 2013

The school is great because of the smaller class sizes and smaller classrooms in general. There is overall better organization and expectations of assignments. Clear expectations of behavior. Uniform policies and all other policies are strictly enforced. All of these help my son's daily routine and support him very well. The school's evaluation process is taking a long time. Which is why I have to rate it four stars. We are reaching winter break and its still not complete. Another downside is that the school has no teacher assistants, because it is a charter school. However, if you want your child to be in the least restrictive environment, this is probably for the best.

Posted November 14, 2013

my school is a good school with amazing teachers. It also has great extra-curricular clubs to extend learning opportunities.

Posted November 14, 2013

IMSA South is a joke. The school opened and most of the teachers had no books, no computers, and no phones in the rooms. Smartboards were installed incorrectly and weren't working even when computers were delivered. Teachers had to figure out how to trouble shoot and get everything up and running, as there were no IT people on staff. Enrollment changed on a daily basis, with very little prior notice. Kids just showed up to class and teachers had to add them to their list. It wasn't like teachers could receive an email due to the fact that there were either no computers or there was no internet connection. The dismissal procedure left much to be desired. To say it was chaotic would simply be too kind. Construction on the rooms should have been completed prior to opening, but it wasn't. Picture kids trying to learn in a classroom with LIMITED resources (translation for many teachers even into the fourth week of school: no books); no air conditioning, no screens in the windows, and contractors coming and going repeatedly out of the classroom. Let's not even mention the aimless, unorganized curriculum and discipline policies.

Posted August 31, 2013

No one should allow their children to attend this school. They treat kids like adults and they and focus on holding back your children for no reason.

Posted January 20, 2013

Honestly, do not send your child to this school if you truly value their education. The teaching is substandard and lagging behind other schools. The teachers do not know how to control their students and the classrooms are chaotic. You are wasting valuable time if you send your child here.

Posted April 25, 2012

IMSA West is terrible. Look at the news stories on this school. A dean was fired for illegal touching, they suspend students for simply talking in class, and they have no technology. Terrible decision if you put your children here.

Posted April 18, 2012

I would also like to add that 2 of my children attended this school. One in kindergarten and one in 8th grade. My kindergartner is still attending and I am pleased with the elementary side and his teacher.However my 8th grader really disliked the middle/high school side.I finally thought it was best to withdraw him from IMSA West after his 3rd week of attendence and after I began to see that my child was very unhappy there..I was hopeful that this would be a good school for him, but I witnessed a lot of unacceptable behavior and disrespect to the teachers/students/parents.Too much class time was spent on behavior issues instead of teaching.I think IMSA West has potential to be a great school but discipline should be taken more seriously (like they promised in the beginning). I am a real parent and this review is my honest opinion based on my true experiences.

Posted February 2, 2012

I am i ninth grade student and i love this school. The teachers are very helpfull and willing to help you with everthing and everthing. Everyone is treated fairly and there is never anyone left behind. There is a real diversity at school. We have teachers from Bosnia and from Russian and Haiti and Turkey. I am enjoying learning new cultures.I am enjoying learning the Turkish language which you can not find in other schools in indianapolis. I am just glad to be here and i am going to graduate from this school. Imsa West! Hands down.

Posted February 2, 2012

I am a ninth grade student currently attending IMSA. i love this school, it offers so many opportunities for college resumes. I am currently in many afterschool activities such as science olimpiad and turkish olimpiad. My turkish teachers are great, they treat me very fairly and speak great english. My science teacher is very helpful and willing to help me whenever i need it. we have very diverse teachers. I am currently learning turkish language, which you cannot find in many other schools in indianapolis. I am very glad to be here and i plan on graduating from this great school with high academic honors. I love IMSA.

Posted February 2, 2012

I am a 10th grade student of IMSA ive been attending the school since its begenning and i can honestly say that with every year that passes The school gets better and better.IMSA is a great school it has excellent classes and the staff is phenomenal when your at imsa you get a feeling that your teachers really care about you imsa offers somthing different than most schools, IMSA offers an education unparalled by any other high school we do not have a large campus but we make up for that with advanced classes and technology as well as a multitude of interactive and educational field trips.

Posted February 2, 2012

I'm a 10th grade student and I love IMSA because of the unique opprotunities that help us prepare for college! I have been attending this school for 3 years. I have joined a group called the Ivy League Mentorship Program (IMP). They give challenging work and we go on free ield trips to places like Chicago and New York. We also have a Turkish class, where we are learning the Turkish language and culture. It is very invigorating and challenging, but it can be very fun.

Posted February 2, 2012

I'm in 10th grade now i have been here for 4 years now. I like this school because it small and the classes arent crowded. I think the education in this school is great . I catch on so quick. I woud recommend this school to anyone. : )

Posted February 2, 2012

I am a 10th grader here and I have been attending this school for 2 years now. love my school the teachers are great and very helpful. They care for each and everyone of their students.

Posted February 2, 2012

IMSA West is amazing. Everything here is so student oriented, starting from our administration to the janitorial staff. I have never seen a place so focused on making sure their students are not only getting the educational support they need, but also the emotional support they need as students go through so many things in their teenage years. I would recommend any member of my family to go to school here, and I will also recommend anyone I meet to send their children here as well.

Posted January 25, 2012

This is the best school I ever seen. They have many successful projects. Thank you for your unbelievable efforts.

Posted January 23, 2012

Having come to IMSA West from a large, privileged school corporation, I have been so impressed with how much is being accomplished with limited resources. To do so requires careful consideration of priorities, and the fact that there are iPads, laptops, and Nooks available to all of the classes is evidence that their priorities are in order. The dedication of the teachers and staff is unsurpassed, and the engagement of the students is quite impressive! The class of 2012 is on track for a 100% graduation rate and college attendance. IMSA West is a tremendous example of how well school choice works for Indiana.

Posted January 23, 2012

I am a current student at Indiana Math and Science Academy. I have the privilege of being apart of this schools first graduating class. I personally love how the staff try to have one on one time with each students. Also the school requires for every teacher to have at least one enrichment and two tutoring times. They have weekly staff meetings to help come with strategic plans so that every student can achieve their goals. IMSA prepares their students for a higher learning and will always get a Pass Plus in my book

Posted January 23, 2012

Indiana Math and Science Academy is great school. It's such a great environment to learn in. The school has high standards, but it is a great preparation for college.They offer dual credit courses. You can take College Courses while you are at high school. And it is no cost for students. There are so many extra curricular activities to get involved in. The sports, student government, and all of the clubs they offer are just fantastic. This school provides so many great opportunities for kids to get involved. If you are looking for small size classrooms and small school with same oppourtunities in big high schools, you should come to this school

Posted January 23, 2012

I have been a student at IMSA for four years. At the beginning the school was not much of a great place, but I have to say that over time the school has gotten better. The teachers and a majority of the students are friendly. I would refer this school to many other students struggling in school because it gives extra credits for your Core40.

Posted October 15, 2011

It is a great school and good teaching envorenment. My son has been attending there, and we are really happy about the instructors and staff. Thank you, and god bless you.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

418

Graduation rate

66.7%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Multiracial 6% 4%

Special education 9%N/A14%
English learners 14%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 7:30 a.m.
School end time
  • 2:30 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mr Guray Taysever
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (317) 298-0038

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

Dress Code
  • Dress code

4575 West 38th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46254

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download