Hoosier Academy - Indianapolis

Charter | K-12 | 540 students

Best known for our individualized learning plans and award winning curriculum.

Living in Indianapolis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $75,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $690.

Sweep tile

Posted March 19, 2014

My son went to school there for 9th grade. The first semester was ok, by second semester he was bullied for his speech and the teachers and Principal did nothing. The teachers were unorganized and condescending to the students. Poorly run school. I would not recommend.

Posted February 20, 2014

Hoosier Academy Virtual School could have been like Connections Academy and offered the best of both worlds. It was convenient when I went out of state for grandkids' graduation. We were able to do all the lessons from where we were. When the temperatures were freezing we did not miss any school. It could be great. I trained on Hoosier Academy a few years ago. My child was with Connections Academy last year. So, I can compare a few years ago with now and also to Connections Academy. Their teachers were awful. So I brought my child to Hoosier Academy. But this K12 platform is not the same system they had a few years ago. It has a horrible structure and apparently K12 expects the teachers to be system engineers and handle all of the problems. There have been constant system problems. It seems like the right hand does not know what the left is doing. No one follows up, even when they contact you, apologize for the mess up and say they will correct it. Completely disorganized!! Once the K12 corporate gets the money from my school district they don't seem to care about anything else.

Posted February 2, 2014

HA is an awful school - is the best I can say. They are completly focused on Study Island blue ribbons and ISTEP. It's a waste of time and effort for my children and the system leaves you overwhelmed and disappointed. The amount of kmails sent in a day is crazy - sometimes upwards of 5 - 6 and you're expected to reply constantly. They send kmails that are nearly threatening in nature reminding you to comply with online testing, study island, etc., and if you don't your hurting your children. It's based of fear mongering and we hated it. Stay away if you value your time and sanity.

Posted October 27, 2013

As a parent whose has done it all -- homeschool, public school and online school -- I think Hoosier is a great mix of each. The staff is amazing and work really hard. Sure, as with any program Hoosier has its flaws, but overall, I'd recommend Hoosier in a heart beat. My daughter decided to go to public school for high school and academically, she's doing outstanding. I believe Hoosier is the reason why she's doing so great academically in public school now.

Posted October 18, 2013

I love this school! My daughter has been in Hoosier Academies since 2nd grade (she is now a 7th grader). We have been with both the hybrid and Virtual school. I prefer the fully virtual school, my daughter is home safe and sound, and is attending school 6 hrs per day. She has live classrooms that she attends for her core subjects. There is live help from a teacher when she needs it, and plenty of group activities if we choose to attend. She is also required to do the ISTEP just like brick and mortar schools. I am so grateful to have the choice for my child to attend Hoosier Academies!

Posted October 18, 2013

This is a review for the K-6 hybrid school. This is our family's second year at Hoosier Academy and we love it. I have a Kindergartener, a 2nd grader and a 6th grader in the program. The K12 curriculum is very well rounded and my children enjoy it. My 2nd grader loves learning about ancient Rome in his history lessons, my Kindergartener is learning about different counties in Europe and my six grader loves learning about Ancient civilizations in his history lessons especially ancient China. This school requires a lot of parental involvement with the younger grades, this is something to consider if you decide to choose Hoosier Academy. Also, this is a public school; as such you are still required to do state testing. While doing this program gives you a lot of flexible this is not homeschooling, it's schooling at home. You have to make sure your staying on pace with the curriculum and not get behind, you can work ahead as well if your child is a fast learner. You have to keep track of your attendance every school day as well which isn't hard at all if you log it on-line when your child finishes their lesson. Hoosier Academy is a lot of hard work but totally worth it for my family.

Posted August 4, 2013

HA is awful. I have two very advanced students that needed challenged, however we ended up overwhelmed and very disappointed. It felt like a waste of time after being bombarded by numerous K-Mails everyday and the plethora of nonsense required to deal with on a daily basis, it left little to be excited about. Study Island is now required so we can prep for ISTEP tests - yet another waste of time. Our children just felt so overworked and frustrated in the end it wasn't even worth it. Take it from me - these are uncaring and rude individuals running the Indianapolis school and we left after it was clear things were only getting worse. Steer clear if you value your sanity.

Posted April 6, 2013

My daughter attended her freshmen year and had no issues. Sophomore year was different. She could not log onto her Kmail and calls to her advisor yielded "We'll look into it". Then the computer would get boot her out of class and it would not register her attendance. Calls to her teacher yielded "send us a Kmail". Eventually they sent a letter stating due to her attendance, or lack thereof, she would be considered withdrawn from school unless we called. Calls were never answered and messages were never returned. then they sent us the labels to return her supplies.

Posted February 6, 2013

My daughter attended Hoosier Academy the school year 2011-2012 and had no issues,. This year, however, was different. Her computer quit working in November. We saved all school work to a flash drive waiting for a new computer. We are still waiting for the new computer and the teachers are not allowed to accept her work on flash drive, so therefore my A/B student is now complete Fs. 20 some emails to the principal and superintendent had no results (plus numerous phone calls). My daughter no longer attends and I would advise any one considering this program "DONT DO IT". No consideration for the student or the stress it causes the family.

Posted January 18, 2013

I take a great liking to this school. I've been at Hoosier since I was in the second semester of 8th grade, having had terrible experiences at my previous school, and am now in 11th grade. The classrooms are considerably compared to most other high schools, and there's sort of a community feeling to it (pretty much everyone knows each other). In my roughly three years of being here, I have never once seen another student bully another, and the students tend to be pretty acceptant of other students' differences. I find that the teachers are dedicated in helping the students and often have very creative methods of teaching. However, considering it largely revolves around internet and computer use, you really have to be motivated to learn things. Easier said than done oftentimes! I have to agree with most people on here that the school can be really unorganized and it can get pretty frustrating. I'd have to say the positives outweigh the negatives.

Posted November 13, 2012

This has been the best thing to happen to my son. His grades have improved, his social skills have improved and he is graduating a year early. The teachers as well as the administrators expect nothing but the best from him and when he doesn't give it, they remind him and help him get back to it. They are some of the most supportive teachers and staff that I have had the pleasure to encounter, and I have had children in school for more than 15 years. They are not perfect in everything, but I believe they are trying constantly to reach perfection, and when a small problem arises, they make every attempt to rectify it. As far as the curriculum, it is far better than a 5 star traditional school that my children were attending. I also find it much easier to keep up with what he is doing and not doing because of the immediate access to the gradebook-it lets me know if he is struggling or falling behind right then and there, and usually with immediate notification from the teacher-the teachers do not let the grade become an F before making contact-that is a big plus itself. I just can't say enough good things about our experience and they definitely outweigh the bad.

Posted November 3, 2012

We love this program and the involvement required. The teachers at this school are top notch and seem to really think outside of the box. The family like culture that comes from the approach this school takes is perfect for my family.

Posted August 13, 2012

It is extremely frustrating to communicate with this school if you need anything administrative. The phone system is a runaround. We have no report cards or high school transcripts yet from Spring semester, and it is August. The fax number they give to get the transcripts from goes through but a reply is never sent. During the school year, you feel very alone and disconnected from the school, although very connected with your own child, thereby sharing their frustrations as well. The school is not keeping up with the pace it is growing and is very disorganized. The k12 email system and programs are very cumbersome and slow. The teachers are average, but you never see them, so connecting is difficult, and they have way too many students to help any individually. Elementary students get little feedback from teachers, and use too many animated lessons. I'd say this is OK for students who are highly self-motivated, independent, and advanced, with a high tolerance for frustrations with computer problems. They also started my children late, expecting them to catch up. Foreign languages use teachers not in Indiana, & computerized language programs, and are easy to fall behind in.

Posted May 17, 2012

We are finishing our second year at Hoosier Academy. The teaching staff is above average and work hard for the success of their students. The K-12 classes are challenging. Since students are home schooled as part of their education, there is a high level of parental involvement. If you want a quality education for your child and are willing to be involved with their education, I would recommend this school to you. If you have older children, there is a middle & High school program. They also have a totally virtual program that many home schoolers are using.

Posted January 25, 2012

This is a great combination of homeschooling and public school. The curriculum and expectations are higher than a regular public school. It is important the parents are dedicated in order to make this successful for their child. This is our first year but, so far so good! The teachers seem very devoted and we are very happy with our decision.

Posted December 28, 2011

The school is a great compromise between home schooling and public schooling. I feel like my kids are getting a better education then they were in traditional public schooling. It allows for each student to have their individual needs addressed. From the gifted, to the kids that need a little help, as well as the kids that are just in the middle, it has been a great fit for us!

Posted December 14, 2011

Being at this school for two years now, my family loves the school. Yes, being a first year parent can be tough, but after a few months you get the full swing of it. Hoosier Academy is a great school for challenged students. Every teacher, student, and staff member truly cares about each other. This isn't a school with a caste syestem and many bullies; it's a place students can call home. -A student

Posted August 29, 2011

As a brand new Hoosier Academy family I find it to be very disorganized and overwhelming. I have 2 students attending. They email constantly with 1-4 attachments on almost every email. I like the teachers, but feel that instead of making the program easy to follow they just pile on more instruction for the learning coaches. There has to be a better way than just further complicating things! Instead of having the offline assignments laid out and easy to follow you have to do an entire elluminate session to get to the assignment. This would be ok, but I was told we can pace ourselves and use the pacing guide as just that a guide. In reality we are so behind that I don't know what to do. I have just gotten an email from his teacher about an assignment we didn't turn in. My son's first day was last week, due to being a late starter, and they expect the first week of school work to just be piled on top of the other work. They have all of their classes on top of the I-step preparedness study that is done on study island, which is also required. I just don't understand how we can do all of it in one day. I'm losing my mind, and anxious that I'll get my kids kicked out of school.

Posted July 31, 2011

Our experience was nothing like the last review submitted. We were at Hoosier Academy Indianapolis for 3 years. Each year they have made changes that were both a surprise and that took them farther away from the format the school began with. This format, of course, was the whole reason we chose HAINDY in the first place. We stuck with it, hoping things would improve, but the leaders obviously have an agenda that they are working toward, and it has nothing to do with what most of the parents I have spoken with want. We are now leaving, along with several wonderful, quality families. One of the saddest things we saw happen was the way the "ones in charge" got rid of people working at the school with no real explanation, and never giving students a chance to say goodbye. The first headmaster was well-loved by the children and families, but was replaced over the second summer. The second headmaster also became well-loved, and was replaced in the middle of the year. Some of the other staff were let go with no explanation. Yet one of those "in charge" has a very abrasive personality, and stays on. . . . .

Posted March 9, 2011

We love Hoosier Academies Indianapolis! The teachers and staff are in constant communication with us as parents. In fact, we communicate on a daily basis through special KMails. The school strives to help each child be successful and they provide many avenues to achieve that. The teachers work hard and work with the parents, as a team, to educate the children. We have the art of technology at our fingertips, both at home, with live elluminate classes online and at school with Smart Boards in each classroom. The families have many opportunities to get to to know each other and allow social time outside of school with the many activities planned by the school staff. Each year, the school gets better and changes are made, as needed, to continually improve for the better.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1027

Graduation rate

35.9%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Multiracial 4% 4%

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/A46%
Special education 17%N/A14%
English learners 1%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Traditional Brick and Mortar
Colleges most students attend after graduation Indiana-Weslyn
Indiana University Purdue
University of Indianapolis
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gifted specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

• Ms Sue Davis
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Hybrid
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Chinese (Mandarin)
  • French
  • German
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Assistant principal(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Gifted specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
College preparation / awareness resources offered
Transportation options

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom