Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Hoosier Academy is a WONDERFUL school. I, as a student of the virtual school, have developed more then I could have ever in a traditional Brick and mortar school. I haven't had anything but kindness from teachers. We have fun, but LEARN. The teachers do this, because they want us to succeed. THEY WANT. They really do. There will be from time to time when a teacher isn't very good at responding, but doesn't that happen in a brick an mortar school? YES. I went to a brick and mortar school through my first semester of 7th grade. I then switched to Hoosier Academies. I left due to my old school's inability to allow me in higher classes, and severe bullying. When I came to Hoosier I was able to test into 9th grade classes, skipping 8th grade. I, now in 9th grade after skipping 8th, am going to graduate 2 years early because I was able to, with the help of my counselor, find a way for me to get ALL requirements and Graduate wit an Honors Diploma in 11th grade. I'm succeeding so much... growing. I want to be a doctor, and I will be one. This school gives me the ability to grow and learn with little limitations! :D

Develops character: Agree

The school tries to promote honesty, and fairness. Sometimes they dont do the best job because they pull us out of class to sit through a talk.

The school year ended on a good note for my child. All in all he was able to accomplish what needed done to complete his 5th grade.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

This is to reflect one teacher only. The special education teacher is outstanding. I can't say enough about how this lady went beyond the call to assist my child.

I will be honest, K-12 in Indiana is not the greatest with the Hoosier Academy. Of course they could have improved a little in the past two years I suppose. I found that it wasn't so flexible for your child to learn at their own pace, and stuck to a pretty restricting schedule. Your child has core classes to attend on certain days, and they might have two different times to select from to join the live virtual class in order to keep attendance up with their teacher. Also, if your kids need help, as in asking your teacher something, they are NOT always available, and you might have to call repeatedly before they contact you back. We had my oldest son in a K-12 program in another state that was outstanding, more flexible truly, for you to adjust your child's learning activities to meet your family's needs much better than the Hoosier Academy allows for. I was under-impressed, and overwhelmed with the way Indiana had structured the K-12 platform, verses what my child had been doing with K-12 public school before.

I love this school. The teachers are great and very helpful. The staff is great and helpful. There are very few problems and they are minor ones. I recommend this school to everyone. (I put a detailed review on the Hoosier Academies Virtual School page about this school. Oops)

I am very pleased with this school. My child started 9th grade it first it was confusing, but ones you understand everything it is very easy. I have not had a problem with kmail and teachers were quick to respond, and the teachers were concerned with student sucess in offering one on one help and extra practice class sessions. This is a lot more than what my local brick and mortar school would have done. I also like that parents can be more involved I can see all my childs assignments , which means no missing assignments. Also my child struggles in Math and with k12 the live class session are recorded so if my child is struggling with a concept we can go over and review the session as much as needed. My child is learning more and is enjoying school.

This school is aweful. Nobody wants to fix the issues. The head of the school will not reply to any of the kmail when there is a concern. Teachers don't grade the papers. The OLS is down more than its up. The parents are expected to do most of the work while the teachers do very little. And there are way too much office politics going on. The children's education is NOT their top priority.

If you are looking for a quality education for your child, you will not find it at this school. This year we withdrew our son after we approached his teacher and tried to discuss a concern we had with our child and were just ignored. After then attempting to discuss with other staff members, it was clear that no one there was equipped with any skill whatsoever to address concerns of parents and students. The school seems completely disorganized, poorly managed and we ve noticed a lot of turnover. One key staff member left mid school year without much explanation to students and families. They seem to rely too heavily on practicing for state tests at the expense of teaching the actual material. They use second rate, poorly made "supplemental" gaming-type programs in place of the actual curriculum and will punish kids by taking away their curriculum if they do not complete the games so that they can get the most "blue ribbons". My son left feeling very empty as he is a serious learner and wanted to absorb every detail of his curriculum...not play a bunch of games that don't even coincide with the curriculum.

I have attended since my 6th grade year, and am now in 9th grade. I am satisfied with it, but everything changed my 7th-9th grade year. Study Island being a burden, and forced upon us, because its "helpful" even though I am "advanced" Not only that, they have unqualified teachers running classes. The events manager is noted to be the worst. She runs a Virtual Elective class, and does it poorly. Falsely accusing us, always yelling, etc. Not only that, now they are forcing USATest Prep on us for "Not behaving" in her class. And she is the problem with the class. Always yelling and falsely accusing us. However their Geometry Teacher, and History teacher are some of the best I have had. Thats why I gave a three star rating. Decent program, some good and bad teachers. The bio would have to be the second worst, he just doesnt care. He slams the table with a stick all the time to get people to do things, and gives sass to hardworking students.

Last modified Hoosier Academy - Indianapolis is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.