Public charter
Indianapolis, IN
After care: No

Posted March 19, 2015
I love this school. The teachers are great and very helpful. The staff is great and helpful. There are very few problems and they are minor ones. I recommend this school to everyone. (I put a detailed review on the Hoosier Academies Virtual School page about this school. Oops)

Posted March 09, 2015
I am very pleased with this school. My child started 9th grade it first it was confusing, but ones you understand everything it is very easy. I have not had a problem with kmail and teachers were quick to respond, and the teachers were concerned with student sucess in offering one on one help and extra practice class sessions. This is a lot more than what my local brick and mortar school would have done. I also like that parents can be more involved I can see all my childs assignments , which means no missing assignments. Also my child struggles in Math and with k12 the live class session are recorded so if my child is struggling with a concept we can go over and review the session as much as needed. My child is learning more and is enjoying school.

Posted December 01, 2014
This school is aweful. Nobody wants to fix the issues. The head of the school will not reply to any of the kmail when there is a concern. Teachers don't grade the papers. The OLS is down more than its up. The parents are expected to do most of the work while the teachers do very little. And there are way too much office politics going on. The children's education is NOT their top priority.
3 people found this helpful

Posted November 14, 2014
If you are looking for a quality education for your child, you will not find it at this school. This year we withdrew our son after we approached his teacher and tried to discuss a concern we had with our child and were just ignored. After then attempting to discuss with other staff members, it was clear that no one there was equipped with any skill whatsoever to address concerns of parents and students. The school seems completely disorganized, poorly managed and we ve noticed a lot of turnover. One key staff member left mid school year without much explanation to students and families. They seem to rely too heavily on practicing for state tests at the expense of teaching the actual material. They use second rate, poorly made "supplemental" gaming-type programs in place of the actual curriculum and will punish kids by taking away their curriculum if they do not complete the games so that they can get the most "blue ribbons". My son left feeling very empty as he is a serious learner and wanted to absorb every detail of his curriculum...not play a bunch of games that don't even coincide with the curriculum.

Hoosier Academy - Indianapolis 3

Posted November 04, 2014
I have attended since my 6th grade year, and am now in 9th grade. I am satisfied with it, but everything changed my 7th-9th grade year. Study Island being a burden, and forced upon us, because its "helpful" even though I am "advanced" Not only that, they have unqualified teachers running classes. The events manager is noted to be the worst. She runs a Virtual Elective class, and does it poorly. Falsely accusing us, always yelling, etc. Not only that, now they are forcing USATest Prep on us for "Not behaving" in her class. And she is the problem with the class. Always yelling and falsely accusing us. However their Geometry Teacher, and History teacher are some of the best I have had. Thats why I gave a three star rating. Decent program, some good and bad teachers. The bio would have to be the second worst, he just doesnt care. He slams the table with a stick all the time to get people to do things, and gives sass to hardworking students.
4 people found this helpful

Posted March 19, 2014
My son went to school there for 9th grade. The first semester was ok, by second semester he was bullied for his speech and the teachers and Principal did nothing. The teachers were unorganized and condescending to the students. Poorly run school. I would not recommend.
3 people found this helpful

Posted February 20, 2014
Hoosier Academy Virtual School could have been like Connections Academy and offered the best of both worlds. It was convenient when I went out of state for grandkids' graduation. We were able to do all the lessons from where we were. When the temperatures were freezing we did not miss any school. It could be great. I trained on Hoosier Academy a few years ago. My child was with Connections Academy last year. So, I can compare a few years ago with now and also to Connections Academy. Their teachers were awful. So I brought my child to Hoosier Academy. But this K12 platform is not the same system they had a few years ago. It has a horrible structure and apparently K12 expects the teachers to be system engineers and handle all of the problems. There have been constant system problems. It seems like the right hand does not know what the left is doing. No one follows up, even when they contact you, apologize for the mess up and say they will correct it. Completely disorganized!! Once the K12 corporate gets the money from my school district they don't seem to care about anything else.

Posted February 02, 2014
HA is an awful school - is the best I can say. They are completly focused on Study Island blue ribbons and ISTEP. It's a waste of time and effort for my children and the system leaves you overwhelmed and disappointed. The amount of kmails sent in a day is crazy - sometimes upwards of 5 - 6 and you're expected to reply constantly. They send kmails that are nearly threatening in nature reminding you to comply with online testing, study island, etc., and if you don't your hurting your children. It's based of fear mongering and we hated it. Stay away if you value your time and sanity.

Posted October 27, 2013
As a parent whose has done it all -- homeschool, public school and online school -- I think Hoosier is a great mix of each. The staff is amazing and work really hard. Sure, as with any program Hoosier has its flaws, but overall, I'd recommend Hoosier in a heart beat. My daughter decided to go to public school for high school and academically, she's doing outstanding. I believe Hoosier is the reason why she's doing so great academically in public school now.

Posted October 18, 2013
I love this school! My daughter has been in Hoosier Academies since 2nd grade (she is now a 7th grader). We have been with both the hybrid and Virtual school. I prefer the fully virtual school, my daughter is home safe and sound, and is attending school 6 hrs per day. She has live classrooms that she attends for her core subjects. There is live help from a teacher when she needs it, and plenty of group activities if we choose to attend. She is also required to do the ISTEP just like brick and mortar schools. I am so grateful to have the choice for my child to attend Hoosier Academies!

Hoosier Academy - Indianapolis
2855 North Franklin Road, Indianapolis, IN  46226
Last modified Hoosier Academy - Indianapolis is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hoosier Academy - Indianapolis Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top