Posted April 23, 2014
We are leaving after almost 4 years with Hoosier. The current administration is deplorable and lacks educational merit. There are a handful of teachers who do care about student needs but the continual teacher changes and staff changes make learning difficult for students. If you are a special needs parent beware as you will have to fight to have your child's IEP honored. This is purely a money making scheme and our family has now decided to call it quits after the 3rd administrator in a year. The current administration squarely blames the parents for being frustrated with the school's lack of direction but does not shoulder any of the responsibility. If I could give this school a negative rating I would... poor organization, lack of communication and negative bullying tactics from some staff.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 01, 2014
My son is in K at Hoosier Academies and so far we love it. It does take effort and involvement from the Learning Coach in order for the child to be successful. I think the teachers are great and are involved with the students.

Posted March 26, 2014
Hoosier Virtual Academy- I hate to say that this is the biggest mistake I have ever made in regards to my child's education. This is my first experience with a public school, so I don't know if all public schools have such low expectations or if it's just this one. First-when we began there was very little communications prior to the start of school, so little that I had to call them to schedule classes because we had received no communication. This should have been a red flag as to how the rest of the year would progress. There are daily communications with the school now, however, most of these communications have nothing to do with the child I have enrolled there but rather they are mass communications that often only apply to children in the lower grades-it is a waste of resource and time as well as a clear signal that we don't merit the effort of setting email parameters. In general I see low expectations and in return low performance. The exception being with the English course, although it seems that the reading expectation is a bit low. In general I am sorry I have neglected his education by sending him to this school.

Posted February 11, 2014
We aren't in the school yet but have a little experience with the curriculum (2 purchased kindergarten classes). The classes I purchased are great. the Music K class has bad reviews, but I am a former IU piano major, and I love it. I am also an English and math teacher who is excited to experience their curricula, after which time I'll update this review as needed. I think the key with this school is for THE PARENT TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AS THE PRIMARY TEACHER. I know other HVA parents who go to work all day, leave their kids on the computer alone at home, rarely get involved, and expect a great education. That's absolutely ridiculous. The curricula was originally created for homeschoolers. I am a SAHM and a teacher, and I /want/ to homeschool, so HVA appears perfect. Mainly because we get free curricula and supplies. We have paid taxes to public schools for many years without any return, and my husband works for the gov't. for low pay, so I'm fine taking them for free. That said, if they stifle my ability to teach as I want to teach, we'll withdraw. We aren't going to do any busy or unnecessarily boring work, and I will likely change lessons as we desire.

Posted January 23, 2014
I graduated from HA last year. Shout out to 2013 graduates! Wooo! Okay, I came from a very miserable middle school education. I was bullied constantly but I stuck it out until the end of eighth grade and that's when I found Hoosier Academies. At first, it was difficult adjusting to the hybrid system but I ended up loving it! All of the students, teachers, and staff are completely nice. The classroom environment in totally student-centered and the schedule is flexible seeing as the work is online. When you step into the building it's like home and it's very heart-warming. I'm proud to be a Hoosier Academies graduate!

Posted February 22, 2013
I go to Hoosier Academy and I couldn't be happier it's the most inviting and heartwarming place. It has some of the best teachers in the state. My personal favorite is Mrs.Herron.

Posted January 20, 2013
I worked for Hoosier Academy last year and was relieved to have found another job, leaving this organizational nightmare after one year of employment. Let me just say that the curriculum is solid and and there were many fine and committed educators working slavishly long hours for the benefit of students, However, the real emphasis of this top-down organizationis purely to make as much money as possible by enrolling as many students as possible, even when the school program does not have the resources, manpower or ability to effectively educate them .The parent company- K12- wants to sell curriculum to the school and puts pressure on staff to continually enroll students, in the complete absence of a manageable or sustainable growth plan. Forget about the slick media advertisements and simply find out the true percentage of students and teachers that return and/or stay enrolled with the program for more than two years -my hunch is that it is less than 50%! There is much potential for Virtual and hybrid school programs, but never when the underlying motivation is MONEY instead of students.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 28, 2012
This is our first year with Hoosier Academies, and we LOVE it! The curriculum is amazing, as are the teachers. The materials and support are top notch. I am confident that this is the best possible education for my child. We will definitely be part of the Hoosier Academies family for many, many years!

Posted June 08, 2012
This school doesn't even deserve 1 star. I am at my last day as a Hoosier Academies Senior, and regret ever attending. Currently I am waiting for the school to allow me access to my last exam, which I have until 5pm to finish, and they have yet to open it without any excuse. The teachers are shifted, fired, and hired on a regular basis. I have been through 4 AP Biology teachers in one year, spending much of the year without a teacher at all. My grades are not what they should be, and I have learned far less than I could. The best teacher there was shifted from the middle school to the high school, then after only a year and a half there promoted to administration. Great for her, horrible for the students. My math teacher is rude, unhelpful, and overall insulting to the students. I will go into college far less prepared that I should be. My recommendation, go anywhere but here. Even IPS is better than this school.

Hoosier Academy Virtual Charter School
2855 North Franklin Road, Indianapolis, IN  46219
Last modified Hoosier Academy Virtual Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12
Hoosier Academy Virtual Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top