Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted February 18, 2016
Hoosier Academy is a WONDERFUL school. I, as a student of the virtual school, have developed more then I could have ever in a traditional Brick and mortar school. I haven't had anything but kindness from teachers. We have fun, but LEARN. The teachers do this, because they want us to succeed. THEY WANT. They really do. There will be from time to time when a teacher isn't very good at responding, but doesn't that happen in a brick an mortar school? YES. I went to a brick and mortar school through my first semester of 7th grade. I then switched to Hoosier Academies. I left due to my old school's inability to allow me in higher classes, and severe bullying. When I came to Hoosier I was able to test into 9th grade classes, skipping 8th grade. I, now in 9th grade after skipping 8th, am going to graduate 2 years early because I was able to, with the help of my counselor, find a way for me to get ALL requirements and Graduate wit an Honors Diploma in 11th grade. I'm succeeding so much... growing. I want to be a doctor, and I will be one. This school gives me the ability to grow and learn with little limitations! :D

Posted March 19, 2015
This school is wonderful!!! I finally fit in somewhere. The students, teachers, and other staff are all very friendly. There is little to no bullying and the student to teacher ratio is great. The staff genuinely cares about the students and tries to be as helpful as possible. Though there are no sports, the school spirit is incredible. In the high school, the elective choices are incredible. There is something to every interest anyone might have. The teachers explain every subject well and answer every question someone asks. All the troublemakers are few and far between. Only 2 school days are great for those that feel overwhelmed by large groups. There are very few fights and those that happen are not very bad. The projects are usually fun and educational. The teachers try to make every lesson as fun as possible. I recommend this school to everyone, no matter what they are like. Everyone that goes to this school will love it and feel accepted.

Hoosier Academy Virtual Charter School 4

Posted January 28, 2015
We were at Hoosier Hybrid in Muncie for 2 years and loved it. When Hoosier Muncie was closed & we tried another charter school & it did not have the academic engagement or social standards that we needed. After the failed attempt of another school my son asked to go to Hoosier Virtual. With in the 1st month he said how nice it was to be actually learning something in school. It is a challenging curriculum, a Big commitment but so worth it. Happy kid who is getting what he needs. Teachers have always gotten back to me. Also under totally new administration!

Posted January 28, 2015
This is an excellent alternative to the traditional brick and mortar school for children, like my son, that have special needs and health issues. He can learn in a calm environment (our home) and receives one on one guidance (through me - his learning coach). The teachers and support staff work well with my son and he enjoys the virtual classes. The curriculum is very similar to a typical school but my son is actually learning so much more due to the way it is taught.

Hoosier Academy Virtual Charter School 1

Posted April 23, 2014
We are leaving after almost 4 years with Hoosier. The current administration is deplorable and lacks educational merit. There are a handful of teachers who do care about student needs but the continual teacher changes and staff changes make learning difficult for students. If you are a special needs parent beware as you will have to fight to have your child's IEP honored. This is purely a money making scheme and our family has now decided to call it quits after the 3rd administrator in a year. The current administration squarely blames the parents for being frustrated with the school's lack of direction but does not shoulder any of the responsibility. If I could give this school a negative rating I would... poor organization, lack of communication and negative bullying tactics from some staff.

Posted April 01, 2014
My son is in K at Hoosier Academies and so far we love it. It does take effort and involvement from the Learning Coach in order for the child to be successful. I think the teachers are great and are involved with the students.

Hoosier Academy Virtual Charter School 1

Posted March 26, 2014
Hoosier Virtual Academy- I hate to say that this is the biggest mistake I have ever made in regards to my child's education. This is my first experience with a public school, so I don't know if all public schools have such low expectations or if it's just this one. First-when we began there was very little communications prior to the start of school, so little that I had to call them to schedule classes because we had received no communication. This should have been a red flag as to how the rest of the year would progress. There are daily communications with the school now, however, most of these communications have nothing to do with the child I have enrolled there but rather they are mass communications that often only apply to children in the lower grades-it is a waste of resource and time as well as a clear signal that we don't merit the effort of setting email parameters. In general I see low expectations and in return low performance. The exception being with the English course, although it seems that the reading expectation is a bit low. In general I am sorry I have neglected his education by sending him to this school.

Posted February 11, 2014
We aren't in the school yet but have a little experience with the curriculum (2 purchased kindergarten classes). The classes I purchased are great. the Music K class has bad reviews, but I am a former IU piano major, and I love it. I am also an English and math teacher who is excited to experience their curricula, after which time I'll update this review as needed. I think the key with this school is for THE PARENT TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AS THE PRIMARY TEACHER. I know other HVA parents who go to work all day, leave their kids on the computer alone at home, rarely get involved, and expect a great education. That's absolutely ridiculous. The curricula was originally created for homeschoolers. I am a SAHM and a teacher, and I /want/ to homeschool, so HVA appears perfect. Mainly because we get free curricula and supplies. We have paid taxes to public schools for many years without any return, and my husband works for the gov't. for low pay, so I'm fine taking them for free. That said, if they stifle my ability to teach as I want to teach, we'll withdraw. We aren't going to do any busy or unnecessarily boring work, and I will likely change lessons as we desire.

Posted January 23, 2014
I graduated from HA last year. Shout out to 2013 graduates! Wooo! Okay, I came from a very miserable middle school education. I was bullied constantly but I stuck it out until the end of eighth grade and that's when I found Hoosier Academies. At first, it was difficult adjusting to the hybrid system but I ended up loving it! All of the students, teachers, and staff are completely nice. The classroom environment in totally student-centered and the schedule is flexible seeing as the work is online. When you step into the building it's like home and it's very heart-warming. I'm proud to be a Hoosier Academies graduate!

Posted February 22, 2013
I go to Hoosier Academy and I couldn't be happier it's the most inviting and heartwarming place. It has some of the best teachers in the state. My personal favorite is Mrs.Herron.

Hoosier Academy Virtual Charter School
2855 North Franklin Road, Indianapolis, IN  46219
Last modified Hoosier Academy Virtual Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.