Franklin Central High School

Public | 9-12 | 2586 students

Franklin Central is best known for excellent educational reputation.

Sweep tile

Posted April 8, 2014

All 3 of my children have attended Franklin Central Schools. All 3 of them have done well academically. My youngest child has been in the top 10 since first attending the high school. The AP classes have completely prepared her for college, SAT and ACT testing. They keep the parents and students well informed. FC does have challenges just like every school in America created by mixed cultures and negative influences in today's society. I think FC has done an excellent job handling all different types of situations to the best of their abilities. Keep up the great work, parents and students love you.

Posted February 5, 2014

Franklin Central is the best High School that I have ever attended. They are very fair and understanding and get to know you as a person. Choose FC as your school choice!!!

Posted March 15, 2011

I have two daughters that attent FCHS and they both hate it! They have been there since freshman year and now are currently Sophmores and I am currently looking to move out of this district. My daughters do very well academically but this school allows too many racially inappropriate things to slide by without consequences and I will no longer subject my daughters to have to listen to the "jokes" about black people! They will be out of there come springbreak.

Posted May 31, 2010

Post 2: Mr. Koers is also the nicest person I think that I ve ever met. He doesn t brush you off his shoulder. He takes his job, and each and every one of his students seriously. The extracurricular activities provide amazing leadership and teamwork values. I am involved in both Show Choir and the Radio program. Not only has the experience of both of these brought me numerous friends; it has encouraged me to keep my grades up and helped improve my self-esteem tremendously. Franklin Central has taught me that if I want to make any progress I need to take initiative in my own life, work with others, and get the most out of my education that I possibly can. Any one who has attended this school and gives a bad review did not motivate themselves to succeed, and their parents didn t take the time to figure that out.

Posted May 7, 2010

My husband and I have watched all 4 of our kids grow up in the Franklin Township schools. Our youngest is in his last year at the high school. We have absolutely nothing to complain about. The high school has so much to offer in the way of education, extracurricular activities, parental volunteering, getting kids ready for college, and much more. It has been a wonderful experience for our kids and for us as parents. Although 2 out of our 4 didn't get the grades we wished they had, it was no fault of the school. We highly recommend this high school to any parent out there wanting a good education for their children, and any school in Franklin Township for that matter.

Posted January 8, 2010

I have been attending Franklin Township schools since first grade, and I have felt that throughout my progression in each school, the level of one on one teacher interaction has gone down significantly, but that is due to the fact that we have way to many kids in each class. I'm a student that does significantly better in a small class situation, and with a large class, i find that being focused is challenging. Another thing is the amount of advanced courses that are being dropped from the budget. There have been 4 advanced science classes that I wanted to take, and each year, the one I want to take seems to be the one that is dropped from the budget. Personally I believe that they should use the money in their budget wisely so that the students actually have an opportunity to take advanced class.

Posted December 11, 2009

We just moved here this year and our children go to this school. This school is horrible. No postitive feedback, only negative comments from staff. Special Ed students are not even given a chance. Do not send your kids to this school. We are selling our house and moving away from this school, out kids are not happy at all in this school, and neither are we. Horrible!!!

Posted May 23, 2009

School definitely tries too hard to get an 'All-American' feel to it. The school will always show off the 'rich white kids' in the yearbooks/school newspaper/radio shows while ignoring the abysmal test scores/dropout rates. Franklin Central is an illusion if you ask me. They constantly talk about how they are working to have the most sought after graduates by colleges/universities and the world of work. This phrase has been repeated ad nauseum throughout my stay at FC. Despite it's flaws, there are a few gems of teachers. Mr. Tony Schmoll, while incredibly underrated as a teacher, is the most intelligent and patient teachers I've ever had. The same can be said for Mr. Todd Kendrick, a teacher I had for AP U.S. History, who taught me how to write with less style and more analysis. Other than that I did not like this school that much.

Posted February 10, 2009

i attented this school for 3 years and i currantly had to move (mhich was not my choice) i now go to a very small school FC is the best school ever i dont think its overcrowded cuz you have a chance to make a whole bunch of new friends...there is never a boring moment. FC rocks!!!!

Posted December 7, 2008

I attended FC, and all of my children have graduated from FC. All in all, it's a typical high school. There are some good teachers and some poor teachers, good administrators and so on. For the kids - it's like anything else: You get out of it what you put into it! Some want to sit around and whine, while others are involved and active. If you are considering moving to FT, here is the low down: The property taxes are high (no business base), there are too many students at the HS (fast growth of old farmland). But it's a great community of involved parents that support the schools. If your kid complains a lot now - they won't like it anywhere. But if they want to get involved and make something of themselves - they'll find a place here.

Posted November 28, 2008

i am a student at FC. This school is a great school. There is a place for everyone to fit into. I agree the school is overcrowded but the new freshmen academy will make the crowd lighter. Go FC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted September 26, 2008

I am a recent graduate of Franklin Central and I have to say this school was aboslutely wonderful. I attended two other high schools in the area and they couldn't compare to this one. Sure FC was a little bit crowded, but that's to be expected at a high school. The teachers there were great and Mr. Koers was the nicest principal I've ever had. The other students were all really nice, too. They're not all cliquey like some poeple think. Everyone was always happy to hang out with me. I'm now currently in college and I really miss going to FC. It's a wonderful high school.

Posted September 24, 2008

i'm a freshmen currently attending franklin central and I would say that the school is overall a very good school. The big issue that i absolutely hate though would have to be how crowded the classes and hallways are. I have a study hall and about 10 students have to go to the library because there aren't enough seats. I think thats ridiculous. Not to mention there are at least 30 desks in the room. I think this school is way to overcrowded. Same with lunch. There are only 3 30minute lunch blocks for 2500+ students. By the time I get in the cafeteria and get in line and get my food and sit down, I only have like 5 minutes to eat because the lunch lines are overcrowded and it doesn't matter how early you get there.

Posted August 14, 2008

i attend this school and personal i love it the eople are friendly and the teachers are awesome. i disagree with the person who said if ur not in a sport ur an outcasyt im not in any sport nor am i good at any and i dont feel like an ot cast at all

Posted July 17, 2008

The school is very good. It needs a little bit of remodeling. everyone complains about the stadium about how much money they spent and that we had no materials but they are two different categories of money. Most of the teachers here are a huge help some with even more than school but they should make a few changes with the teachers.

Posted May 7, 2008

I am a student currently at Franklin Central high school and I would not reccommend this school to any parent. This school is based on athletics and sthletics only. If you are not in a sport, you are an outcast and are a huge target. The people at this school are immature and only care about popularity. I am currently in a sport and still feel like this school has no respect for anyone so please dont send your child to this school.

Posted January 30, 2008

My son is a freshman this year at FCHS and I'm [not] happy with this school at all. If your child is a football star or basketball star they will do just fine but if not forget it. I went to Warren Central 91' Grad and we had so many extracurricular activites and classes to take way back then i just can't believe after a large renovation to the school i still don't see what they did to improve the school. Class rooms and hallways are over crowded, don't get me started on the bus situtation that is totally screwed up. The high school kids ride the same bus as the middle school kids ..talk about over crowded and unsafe.

Posted October 8, 2006

Franklin Central is an OK school overall I guess. There are no facets of the school that stick out and make you go 'wow, thats run very well' or anything like that. There are very few teachers who seem to care about all of their students. Principal Koers gets lot of stuff from the school and parents but he runs the school as well as most could. Taxes are high, but that has little to do with the school itself. The extra curriculars are very well maintained. Academic wise..not so good for FC.

Posted September 29, 2006

The school overall was excellent. The teachers are intelligent and go above and beyond what you would expect for a high school teacher. I always felt I could rely on them for academic issues (and even some on a more personal level). The building is very clean also. Extracurricular activities are good. They have many different clubs for students who are not atheletic, which is important. And I always felt very safe, even being one of the less popular kids.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 29, 2005

Things are going good for FC. As a student I think this is a great school. The football team won Conference this year. The We the people team won District this year. The Principal was name Principal of the year, for 2005. There are good clubs for students to be an like the Literary Cafe club, and World Cultures club. There are alot more then 15 courses for students to chose from. There staff is good, and there teachers are great! This is a safe school. The taxes are high, but the school needed to be remodeled. The administrative office made a couple a bad choices, but ever then that its a great school.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

541 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

679 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

627 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

District
State

SAT participation

Average SAT score

986

Graduation rate

91.5%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 33%N/A46%
Special education 14%N/A14%
English learners 2%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Franklin Township Middle School West
Franklin Towhship Middle School East
Parochial and other public schools
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School end time
  • 3:00 am
  • Mr Kevin Koers
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Hybrid
  • Internships
  • Professional Learning Community
  • STEM
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Franklin Township Middle School West
Franklin Towhship Middle School East
Parochial and other public schools

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes

6215 South Franklin Road
Indianapolis, IN 46259

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download