Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Our experience has been with Pre-K so far, and we've been very happy. Our teacher has been thorough, responsive, and attentive, and the classroom has always had at least one additional aide (we just added a second aide, bringing the ratio to 3 adults for 19 students). Our child LOVES the aides, and the music teacher. We get daily reports on behavior, and class projects or artwork are always sent home. We also receive (super helpful) weekly summaries of the curriculum that was covered so that we know what to ask. Our child has made wonderful gains and been exposed to a range of peers and subjects that they very likely wouldn't have otherwise seen at 4-5 years old. They have one rotating special every day, either art, music, or gym. All three specialty teachers seem very capable and engaged, though we have had a host of behavioral problems in art and gym. In fairness, that may not be a reflection of those teachers though. Dealing with our child's behavioral issues has been a struggle, and our one hesitation with Blaker. They do seem very focused on conduct and discipline, and I often worry that the full day exposure to so many enforced rules of conduct could be eroding our child's individuality. The principal is approachable, but appears to act primarily as a disciplinarian. Our teacher has been wonderful about communicating with us, and bad behavior does put everyone in a bind - the school has to respond somehow when students act inappropriately. There is a small but nice selection of afterschool activities, and lots of good opportunities from visitors, volunteers, and special guests. I would not hesitate to recommend Blaker's pre-school to anyone, especially with the current teacher and aides.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

This is a very harsh criticism, but in our experience the instigator has gone unseen while the retaliator has been harshly, sometimes continuously, punished.

School 55 is a positive and safe environment for all children. Staff work hard to ensure that learning is top priority. There is never a time in the day before and after school where there are not hard-working teachers going above and beyond.

My opinion of this school has greatly changed from the beginning of the school year to now. My son is a 3rd grader. I've sat in his class for a couple of weeks and see that some of the staff is not capable or unwilling to meet the children where they are in terms of learning style. I had the pleasure of seeing the principle get 2in from a students face, pointing her finger in his face about not being quiet during a tornado drill. I've never given my child a free pass for any misbehaviors, however this school's sense of discipline takes things to a WHOLE other level. My child was suspended because he did not want to put his coat on at the end of the day. Yes, I'm sure he got an attitude, but really...why are you battling with a child about a coat. Everything is considered defiant. My neighbor's child was chastised for making fun of a teacher's name. Really?! Who didn't do that has a kid. I was warned about IPS, however, being new to the area, who would've known. Yes, there are alot of opportunites to be involved with your child at this school, so if your child expresses something about his/her teacher or staff at this school, please listen and go see for yourself!

The teachers are good and work with parents. However the academics leaves something to be desired. My kids are bored in school because they already know most of the stuff they're doing.

My kid goes to Eliza Blaker School 55 and is a 5th grader there. I feel it is the perfect size with about 300 kids so not too small but certainly not too big. My son is a 5th grader there and with my past experiences of coming in and whatnot i have never been more pleased with the teachers and the great Principal. Just going into detail for instance, the Art Teacher is very good and got my son very involved in art and seems to show a passion for it. The staff there creates such a good environment i would say it is definitely one of the top elementary schools at IPS.

Last modified Eliza A. Blaker School 55 is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.