Bad
Good

This school is terrible when it comes to education or respectable office staff. The teachers have been great but other than that this school is seriously unorganized and lacking. The ladies that work in the office are some of the rudest gals I've ever met. My son was 2 mins late one day and as I stood at the back entrance door waiting to be let in, one of the ladies in the office was on her phone and kept telling me to wait a sec with hand gestures as she could plainly see us outside. We waited for 15 minutes (during the winter mind you) while she could've simply buzzed the door open. Then to top it off, when we were finally let in, she had the nerve to ask someone else if we needed a tardy slip since we were so late and would it count against my son.Hello! we were 2 mins past, but you are the reason we're extra late after making us wait out in the cold for 15 minutes. When my son was in kindergarten, his teacher wasn't present a day because she went into labor the night before. Well, considering she was pregnant for 9 months, you would think the school would've been prepared to have someone take over in the event of her birth. Yeah, boy was I wrong. I arrived to school with my son to find the classroom locked with little kindergarteners waiting around while everyone seemed to be oblivious. The bell had rang long before and we were still waiting. I was the only parent outside in the hall with 20 some students. I went to the office to ask them where their teacher was and the principle acted as if she had no clue she went into labor the night before. (I found out from a teacher across the hall while waiting). Umm, hello, I'm not leaving until you place my son in a classroom or have someone watch them all while in the hall alone. NOPE! I was also 9 months pregnant (8 days away from having my daughter), holding my 2yr old on my hip as he wouldn't get down because he was startled by so many kids and watching 20+ kids for 1hr. and 45 mins. Boy was my back killing me! I had begun to believe they had forgotten about us (a whole kindergarten class). These little kids could've easily been confused and wandered out the school! It took that long to place these children in other classrooms! Gym class teaches the students to dance to whip nay nay, hit the quan, watch me dab and country girl shake it for me(inappropriate) instead of teaching physical education!

Not happy with the idea of sending all these students to a school on the other wide of town during the upcoming school year. It is a great imposition and hardship on both the students, parents, and teaching staff. If there is an emergency, how are the parents able to get to the school right away? Washington Irving needs to consider the children's safety....i.e., bus drivers bussing the students across town. The renovation should be done during those times that the children are out of school for the summer or on spring and/or winter breaks.

I' m a parent of this school. This is the best public school there is. The teachers care about every little insident. And I am very impressed in the academic level. Way beyond average.

Last modified Washington Irving School 14 is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.