Rousseau McClellan Montessori School 91

Public | K-8 | 486 students

We are best known for Montessori magnet program

Sweep tile

Posted August 2, 2013

I am a former parent. Both of my children attended School 91 and it was a great experience for them and for me. I cried when my youngest left the school. The teachers are amazing and clearly love what they do. The Montessori Philosophy is a wonderful way to teach children and my children have a strong love of learning. The parent group at the school is very active and supportive of the needs of students, families and teachers.

Posted August 2, 2013

I have put two kids through school 84 and two kids through school 91. Both are good schools, but school 91 is the best primary and middle school in Indianapolis. My children have been able to excel as the staff allows the children to learn at their own pace. For example my second grader was able to work with the third graders in math due to his abilities. No kid is held back from their potential. Any family considering public school in Indianapolis should visit 91. You won't go anywhere else.

Posted May 18, 2013

School 91 is a warm, caring environment for all children! The teachers and staff are incredible and giving! The students are respectful and kind to each other. We are so fortunate to have this great public education choice in our neighborhood!

Posted May 17, 2013

Our son is a 7th grader at school 91 and has been a student there since kindergarten. I have to say that we are so impressed with the middle school teachers at 91. They work well together as a team and make every effort to assist our son in working to his potential. They are incredibly caring teachers and have high expectations of their students. We know our son will be well-prepared for high school when he leaves 91.

Posted April 10, 2013

We have had an outstanding experience at 91. My kindergartener is very bright but not the easiest kid to deal with and the teachers, staff and administrators have worked with us tirelessly to maximize his success. We love this school. I feel incredibly lucky to have gotten in.

Posted March 19, 2013

I am both a teacher and future parent (my daughter will be attending School 91 next year) at this school. When I bought my home as a single person, I intentionally bought within walking distance from School 91 in order to fully commit to the community. I consider it a blessing that I now live in the boundaries of the school and will be sending my own children to 91. In addition, I am also comfortable allowing my children to have any of the teachers in the building-they are all excellent, from the classroom teacher to the special area teachers to the assistants. It is an incredibly diverse school racially, socio-economically, and academically but all students garner respect and caring for each other. I am also incredibly impressed with the peer mentoring program for the students with autism that goes beyond the classroom into lunch and recess. Students actively choose to engage with children of all ability levels and build friendships. I consider it a blessing and honor to work and serve the School 91 community and am excited to become a parent within the community next school year!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 17, 2009

Why do you love Rousseau Mc Clellan 91? Building of responsible and independent character, caring teachers and administrative leadership.

Posted January 6, 2009

Our oldest daughter began 1st grade at a different IPS school in 2008. She was on the waiting list for School 91 and a few weeks into the school year, a spot opened at 91. The transition was exciting and challenging for her and us to acclimate to - I suppose we were used to a traditionally structured grade school. But thanks to a great, caring staff and open communication with her teachers, she's doing great. One of the greatest benefits of the Montessori method as its implemented by 91 is how self reliance and responsibility is part of the curriculum. We look forward to more years at 91, and to sending our youngest daughter there as well.

Posted October 1, 2008

I am a volunteer at School 91 and am impressed with the school's community spirit. They readily welcome the community to volunteer at the school. They have so many wonderful things going on there. The DOE has honored them as a National Blue Ribbon School this year. If you're looking for a school look here first!!

Posted September 23, 2008

My daughter is in 4th grade now at IPS #91. This is her 3rd year. We continue to be impressed with the high caliber of care and education shown by the teacher's and staff. It is public school with a personal atmosphere. It is extremely diverse and yet everyone exists in harmony and the overall feeling is happy and positive...negativity is not allowed and the teachers facilitate conflicts between students...a note of apology is written stating what they did and why they are sorry. For every action there are consequences, the kids learn to live with others different from themselves. If this isn't prep for 'real life' I don't know what is! I just couldn't be more pleased and consider my tax dollars more than well spent! This school puts out kids who are ready to tackle whatever life throws them.

Posted June 14, 2007

The atmosphere at the school is very positive. The staff work very hard and are there many extra hours doing their jobs. I feel that I can visit the school and volunteer and it is appreciated. Great place to be a parent and a student.

Posted April 17, 2007

I have two children at School 91 who have had a wonderful educational experience. They both started as kindergartners with no Montessori experience, and my husband and I were a little uncertain about what Montessori would really work for our family. My daughters will now soon enter middle school at School 91 and the school has been a good fit for all of us. School 91 has helped them become confident, independent learners who do well on standardized tests and are comfortable in a diverse social setting. I am now a big believer in the Montessori method and the school itself, which has some of the best teachers anywhere. I am also pleased with the art, music, science lab, and technology. Instead of spending money on private school tuition, we've been able to do many things (travel, extracurricular activities) that also have enriched their education.

Posted November 10, 2005

I am a parent of two former students of School 91. Our two sons attended the school from kindergarten through 8th grade. Our youngest graduated 8th grade this year. There is not another school public or private that would have been a better fit for our two boys. The administration, staff and parents are among the best anywhere. The commitment and creativity they exhibit by teaching a solid Montessori curriculum within a public school system is exemplary. The student population is diverse both racially and socio-economically, and they thrive in this loving and stimulating environment. Unlike private schools which have control over their population, this is a public school that is populated via a lottery system. The children of varying skill levels work together and succeed. The interaction between the older students, as mentors, and the younger children is amazing. This is a wonderful, true school community in every sense of the word.

Posted August 13, 2005

I have two children who went from kindergarten through 8th grade here. Unlike the parent in the other post who found that her child in the intermediate grades was not challenged and not allowed to progress above her peers, I didn't find that. My children were challenged, and very well prepared for high school. I know of many intermediate students who were challenged with higher grade level work and even went into the middle school to do work at their own level. Parent involvement is the best in the district. I am also an IPS staff person and have worked in 10 IPS schools. This school is #1 when it comes to principal, staff, and extracurricular activities.

Posted August 11, 2005

Rousseau McClellan School 91 is an excellent school. The focus of the school is Montessori which has been great for my children. I can't think of a better school for them to have attended. The Principal is great. She works well with the staff and the students. She has made a lot of changes that have moved the school to another level. The teachers that my kids have had have been warm, loving, willing to give the extras it takes to help children succeed. The school is clean and welcoming. If you have a chance to attend here, DO!!!

Posted August 11, 2005

I have two children at this school, both of whom can't wait for school to start next week. They love the school and I have great confidence in the education they have been receiving. Many of our friends send their children to this school also and are very pleased also. We have chosen public education and were thrilled to have gotten into this magnet. Montessori is the right place for our children. The staff works hard to make sure students do well. The school now has a school nurse which is extremely helpful. The principal is always welcoming and provides many extras for the students. There are lots of out of school events for the kids and the families. It truly is a community school.

Posted August 10, 2005

As a parent at this school, I have been very pleased with the progress my children have made. The school is clean, well cared for, promotes a positive caring attitude and is a safe place for students to go to school. The principal and the staff are excellent. There are many parents who volunteer their time, although I think there could be more. It's not the school's fault, parents are very welcome there, they just don't come. There are activities after school for the kids. You need to have your own transportation though which sometimes is a problem. My kids and I really, really like this school. I would highly recomment it other parents and students. It's one of the best, if not the best in IPS.

Posted August 8, 2005

I am a parent of 3 children at 91, one of which is graduated to high school, one in 8th, and one in 6th. Since my oldest daughter was 3 she was able to read and after going to several IPS schools and interviewing several kindergarten teachers, I felt that only 91 was able to strengthen her ablilities. I have been thrilled for 10 years with the staff and their ability to work with all my kids different abilities. My middle child has a learning disablity and the resource staff has been outstanding. I have recommened school 91 to several families and know that they would feel just as blessed as i have. I feel very lucky that my kids are at 91.

Posted August 6, 2005

I am the parent of kids entering 6th, 4th and 1st grades at IPS#91. I have been very happy with the teachers' abilities, warmth and professionalism. My kids have been challenged academically because the Montessori approach allows the teacher to tailor lessons to each individual. In fact, I have been amazed at the lengths to which teachers will go to make sure each student has assignments specific to his or her level. In addition, when my kids were the oldest in the class, they helped other students learn, thus reinforcing their own learning and giving them the opportunity to nuture others. With regard to discipline issues, the administration has reponded with appropriate firmness and concern, and has shown a willingness to problem-solve WITH me, which I have appreciated.

Posted August 6, 2005

I am much more in agreement with the parent who believes that there child has had a really positive experience at School 91. My children also attend the school and have had great teachers who have met their needs. Having had 3 students go through intermediate, I don't have a clue as to where that parent is coming from on one grade level. The teachers do not spend their time only focussing on textbooks but bring in broad experiences from many different sources. I believe that my children have been challenged there. My older two have been extremely successful in high school and it is my understanding that most of the school's graduates do. The current Principal has done an excellent job of bringing focus to the school, bringing in grant moneys and making the school a strong community focus. Please read between the lines with that one disruntled parent. Thanks.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

n/a

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 7% 4%

Special education 24%N/A14%
English learners 9%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Magnet School of Excellence (2011)
  • Magnet School of Excellence (2012)
  • IDOE "A" School (2013)

• Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Gym
  • Kitchen
Clubs
  • Girls on the run
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 3:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Ms. Margie Higgs
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (317) 226-4544

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
  • Multi-aged
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Regions Bank

• Orchestra
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Chess club
  • Cub scouts
  • Game club
  • Geography Club
  • Girl scouts
  • Girls on the run
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor